Luggage stolen from car

I just read a post on another social media page from a couple who had their luggage stolen from their car at a hotel they are staying at in Rome. They are now running around trying to find clothes for their cruise on the Odyssey tomorrow. How terrible!

Luckily, they have the day to find stuff. Imagine if it was the morning of…😲

Edited by rrraydon

I've heard of this happening in Europe a lot. They seek out Americans because they are known to leave stuff in the trunk. I never understood why you would leave stuff there overnight. This could happen anywhere in the world but it seems it happens more to Americans in Europe. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

I've heard of this happening in Europe a lot. They seek out Americans because they are known to leave stuff in the trunk. I never understood why you would leave stuff there overnight. This could happen anywhere in the world but it seems it happens more to Americans in Europe. 

I’ve heard to be careful of pick pocketers but this is the first I’ve heard of a car being broken in to and luggage stolen from inside the car. 

3 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

I’ve heard to be careful of pick pocketers but this is the first I’ve heard of a car being broken in to and luggage stolen from inside the car. 

There's a lot of pick pocketers as well trunk breakins.  The takeaway is don't put your wallet in your back pocket or hanging out of a purse and never leave luggage in the trunk of a car.  I had friends that got their luggage stolen in France and the police told them it happens a lot. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rrraydon said:

I just read a post on another social media page from a couple who had their luggage stolen from their car at a hotel they are staying at in Rome. They are now running around trying to find clothes for their cruise on the Odyssey tomorrow. How terrible!

Luckily, they have the day to find stuff. Imagine if it was the morning of…😲

It's a good thing RC doesn't enforce their published dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening. 😁

• Haha 4

Just now, davekathy said:

It's a good thing RC doesn't enforce their published dress guidelines for the MDR in the evening. 😁

Right!! 🤣

I was thinking, if that happened to me, I always have 2 sundresses, a bathing suit and flops in my oversized purse. I could make it on that for a week if I was forced to. 😂

• Haha 1

Sadly very common in Italy. I remember my confusion when I first lived there--people would get out of their cars carrying their car stereos. I asked what that was about, and was told that they are always removable, because otherwise people would break in and steal them.  Quite an eye-opener for me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We were in Miami recently and a couple from Georgia left their luggage in the car overnight in the hotel carpark before a cruise. They were then were beside themselves next morning as all their luggage was stolen.

They had a rant on another forum about the hotel, which I think was unfair.

Again, why would you leave luggage in your car!

Unfortunately, it can happen anywhere.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

On the bright side, imagine replacing all of your clothing while you are in Italy!  Can have some great style for this cruise....  

maybe but clothes sizing and tailoring can be very different in Europe.  Happened to my aunt & uncle many years ago and they could NOT find clothes that fit.  She spent a lot of time washing things by hand!  

1 minute ago, poocher said:

maybe but clothes sizing and tailoring can be very different in Europe.  Happened to my aunt & uncle many years ago and they could NOT find clothes that fit.  She spent a lot of time washing things by hand!  

The posters noted they need XL clothes and was asking for ideas for places to shop local to where they were. XL is more difficult to find, too.

• Like 1

This whole thread makes me want to park a car in some random city with a bunch of snakes in the trunk. Not poisonous of course, that would be illegal, but just to scare the crap out of someone trying to break in.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, poocher said:

No problem. Shorts and touristy T shirts. Repeat at each port stop. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, alfaeric said:

On the bright side, imagine replacing all of your clothing while you are in Italy!  Can have some great style for this cruise....  

Yes and out of quite a bit of money as well - poor but fashionable. Those designer clothes don't come cheap.  The ships have overpriced stuff as well. They must have brought some clothes to the room other than what they were wearing, I would imagine. 

25 minutes ago, poocher said:

It's a bit different now.  There are lots of chain stores that are worldwide.    You just have to try on some things

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BND said:

We never leave anything visible in a car when staying overnight anywhere.  It's common sense.  Car break ins are common everywhere.

Never had luggage  stolen  but had spare wheel  stolen at Birmingham  airport  car park

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

Though as a Traveler spending yrs in Hotels since the 80's I'd have never left anything in my Vehicle in a US Hotel either...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

Though as a Traveler spending yrs in Hotels since the 80's I'd have never left anything in my Vehicle in a US Hotel either...

That's smart as it happens in the US as well especially tourist areas.  The thieves can spot the tourists right away.  When I lived in France you could spot an American tourist from miles away.  Here in the Miami area the thieves target rental cars, hotels and shopping malls.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, poocher said:

Those shorts were the problem.  

I'm sure there are those in the different ports that wear my size and style so I doubt I'd have a problem. Nothing fancy.  Hopefully I (we) never experience lost, or stolen luggage.