Why Does RSSC Use The Word Free?

Does anyone from the sales marketing world know why Regent uses the word “free” rather than “included” in all their promotions and advertising? I am sure they have smart marketing people who have run every permutation of what generates sales.  I can’t imagine at this price level that luxury cruise customers really are drawn to the work free.  It irks me every time I see the word - knowing what I actually paid for a cruise - and the fact that it is all factored in.  Seabourn uses “included” in their advertising.  I think the way Regent advertises “free” cheapens the product.  Technically - I guess - you could stretch it to Webster’s definition - Free “not costing or charging anything” if you consider that you are not being charged additional for said items - but we all know you already paid for everything that is “free”.   I guess I can add in the fake list prices and fake discounts.  Do they really think that their customers are that unsophisticated to believe that anyone ever would pay the list price?  It makes some of their marketing look like a mass market fire sale. PS We love Regent and have 4 more cruises booked.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

This all is true, as I read rhat fewer and fewer excursions are “free” or included. 

Funny Richard, on our upcoming January '23 Splendor cruise, there is only ONE Regent Choice excursion in the whole 11 nights, the rest are all included.

This whole free/included jargon has been true since back in the Radisson days, when they added free liquor (no, drinks weren't included except on the Paul Gauguin, until sometime after 2004 when we were on Diamond.)  It's not classy, for sure.  It goes along with the "2-for-1 fares" that they have also used since those days (i.e., more than 20 years.)  I agree it's distasteful, but not likely to change after all this time.

Like buying a mattress or furniture..."free when you buy the set!...BOGO (buy one get one)!"

I think most of us are desensitized to such hype and ignore the come-ons.  After all, no free lunch! 

Regent's 2-fer-1s recalls Eddie Antar's ads - before he got a "free" vacation at Club Fed for stock fraud.  His namesake retail chain "Crazy Eddie's" promised low prices on tvs and stereos.  His classic line was:

"How do we do it? VOLUME!"

14 minutes ago, wristband said:

Like buying a mattress or furniture..."free when you buy the set!...BOGO (buy one get one)!"

I think most of us are desensitized to such hype and ignore the come-ons.  After all, no free lunch! 

Regent's 2-fer-1s recalls Eddie Antar's ads - before he got a "free" vacation at Club Fed for stock fraud.  His namesake retail chain "Crazy Eddie's" promised low prices on tvs and stereos.  His classic line was:

"How do we do it? VOLUME!"

Ah memories of growing up in NY.  Actually the pitchman was Jerry Carrol who ended each ad stunt with frantic screaming at the camera and shouting - "his prices are so low - they're insane" or "his prices are insane" as he threw his arms and hands at the camera. 

To keep within the context of my post - I suggest Regent hire him to keep within context of their 2fer and discounts and "free" promotions. 

Regent's marketing of seemingly everything as "free" is really annoying.   

An internet search shows lots of guidelines in the advertising world about marketing "free" products.  The Better Business Bureau has guidelines at: https://www.bbb.org/code-of-advertising/#Trade_In_Allowances  (see item 14)

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) also has guidelines, but it isn't clear to me whether the FTC has jurisdiction over cruise line advertising.  Countries other than the USA also presumably have oversight agencies for advertising.

Does anyone know what state or federal authority has oversight of cruise line advertising and where potentially deceptive cruise line advertising can be reported?

Why a company that tries to project a luxury image would engage in advertising of pricing claims that its customers know are not true is a mystery to me.  Though I must say that every time I see "free prepaid gratuities" I have to smile at the Orwellian wording.  What is a free gratuity? What is a prepaid gratuity?  If a gratuity is free how can it be paid for or prepaid for?  When is a prepaid gratuity paid?  Why is it only free gratuities that are prepaid?  Aren't all the free drinks, excursions, etc., prepaid?  Shouldn't those be listed as "free prepaid drinks" and "free prepaid excursions"? 🤔

Maybe Michael Moore or someone from Regent can answer some of these questions!

• Like 1

They have been advertising this way for years. Really why does it matter!?

You either enjoy the Regent product or you don’t. If you don’t, why are you worried about how they advertise. Just take your money else where. 

If you like Regent why do you worry about their ads?  This useless discussion has appeared  off and in over the years. 

• Like 9

The word free in advertising is very powerful in attracting people.  There are always those gullible people who bite.  That's why I always ignore the language even in the grocery store.  They mark it up above normal to lower it. 

In cruising I look at what I receive at the cost per night.  I decide on the bottom line. However any business that uses the word free after marking it up loses my trust and believably.  That's why cruise line emails immediately get deleted when I see those words.

• Like 3

On 8/1/2022 at 10:01 PM, cwn said:

They have been advertising this way for years. Really why does it matter!?

You either enjoy the Regent product or you don’t. If you don’t, why are you worried about how they advertise. Just take your money else where. 

If you like Regent why do you worry about their ads?  This useless discussion has appeared  off and in over the years. 

EXACTLY!!! 

In my High School days I worked a a very high end bakery called the Patisserie. 

On April 1 one year we had a promotion that stated

"Today only;  All Items are 'Sugar Free' and 'Fat Free' " 

There was an asterisk beside that statement and on the bottom of the banner it said: "Today We only charge for the Gluten and Sodium!"

Edited by daetchief
sp
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Reminds me of the sign at the bar: "FREE BEER TOMORROW."  Some think "I'll get free beer tomorrow so I'll come back."  But the sign has the same message the next day...free beer tomorrow!

All advertising is that sign.  If a bar/Regent gave free beer, it would go kaput.  But if you make people believe they will get something free tomorrow...they will come back & buy something.

• Like 2

I cannot comment on Regent's email or postal advertising as we do not receive any.

However the revamped RSSC website mostly uses the word "included" rather than the word "free"  (certainly for the UK version of the website anyway).

Screenshots of a couple of examples from the website below:

fullsizeoutput_956.thumb.jpeg.cd64aa89e6b40456af22c381ac9dbcb4.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_957.thumb.jpeg.97e2d382e2a3c861a5c5803362c262bf.jpeg

19 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

I cannot comment on Regent's email or postal advertising as we do not receive any.

However the revamped RSSC website mostly uses the word "included" rather than the word "free"  (certainly for the UK version of the website anyway).

Screenshots of a couple of examples from the website below:

fullsizeoutput_956.thumb.jpeg.cd64aa89e6b40456af22c381ac9dbcb4.jpeg

From a webpage here in North America:

EVERY LUXURY INCLUDED

• 2-FOR-1 ALL-INCLUSIVE FARES
  • FREE BUSINESS CLASS AIR* ON INTERCONTINENTAL FLIGHTS
  • FREE ROUNDTRIP AIR*
  • FREE UNLIMITED SHORE EXCURSIONS
  • FREE 2 OR 3-NIGHT LAND PROGRAMS ON SELECT VOYAGES
  • FREE 1-NIGHT PRE-CRUISE HOTEL PACKAGE IN CONCIERGE SUITES AND HIGHER
  • FREE UNLIMITED BEVERAGES, INCLUDING FINE WINES AND SPIRITS
  • FREE OPEN BARS AND LOUNGES, PLUS IN-SUITE MINI-BAR REPLENISHED DAILY
  • FREE PRE-PAID GRATUITIES
  • FREE SPECIALTY RESTAURANTS
  • FREE TRANSFERS BETWEEN AIRPORT AND SHIP
  • FREE UNLIMITED WIFI
  • FREE VALET LAUNDRY SERVICE
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

From a webpage here in North America:

An interesting difference in terminology between Europe and North America!

Maybe Regent (UK) is cognisant of the ASA or maybe we just find the word "free" even more grating than our cousins across the pond

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

An interesting difference in terminology between Europe and North America!

Maybe Regent (UK) is cognisant of the ASA or maybe we just find the word "free" even more grating than our cousins across the pond

Oh, I think we find it grating (although I'm Canadian so not sure.) Since the ASA seems to be a U.K. organization, it's no wonder we're not aware of it. 

4 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Oh, I think we find it grating (although I'm Canadian so not sure.) Since the ASA seems to be a U.K. organization, it's no wonder we're not aware of it. 

Really believe the differences are the stringent consumer protection laws in the UK/Europe vs. the virtually non-existent consumer protection in the US.  Can't speak to Canada.

• Like 1

Yep, that's been a sore spot for quite a few people for quite a few years.  I find that it cheapens the brand somewhat - I much prefer the 'included' item list that Flossie posted over the 'free' list that Wendy put up.  But apparently it works for Regent as they're still doing it, and I'm sure they're aware of the criticism the folks here on CC have been throwing at them all these years.

I've kind of learned to just ignore it.

• Like 1

What really annoys me is the question when pricing an itinerary: “WOULD YOU LIKE FREE AIRFARE INCLUDED IN YOUR BOOKING?”

If you reply “Yes” the pricing is one amount, if you reply “No”, it’s a lower amount.  I don’t consider something “free” if the price is higher when I choose to include it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Yep, that's been a sore spot for quite a few people for quite a few years.  I find that it cheapens the brand somewhat - I much prefer the 'included' item list that Flossie posted over the 'free' list that Wendy put up.  But apparently it works for Regent as they're still doing it, and I'm sure they're aware of the criticism the folks here on CC have been throwing at them all these years.

I've kind of learned to just ignore it.

Agree with you Bill. Would much prefer “included” as opposed to “free”. Although,  one night prior to our March Splendor cruise, I had a “few” Martinis and said to the Bride…..”Wow….look at everything they are giving us for free”. 

Edited by Gpilon
  • Haha 1

On that note,  in April we went fishing with friends and caught 6 fish.  The boat was $600, so each fish was $100 as we figure it.  We went to a restaurant that would prepare our caught fish with a bunch of sauces and sides for a very reasonable price.   Our friend was picking up the tab and commented that was the cheapest meal on the whole vacation.  The group of us laughed and pointed out the $100 per fish cost(he kind of forgot about that part)!   You are paying for free!   🤪

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Gpilon said:

Agree with you Bill. Would much prefer “included” as opposed to “free”. Although,  one night prior to our March Splendor cruise, I had a “few” Martinis and said to the Bride…..”Wow….look at everything they are giving us for free”. 

But were they 'free' martinis, or were they 'included'?

57 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

But were they 'free' martinis, or were they 'included'?

I am pretty sure they were free. We were in a Grand Suite and were amazed at how much "free" stuff they gave us there.