Is it just my Cruise Planner, or are the DBP prices actually getting lower ?

11 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

For my next 11 cruises, the score is 7 "yes", 4 "no".  (DBP has decreased in price)

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I think the ship also helps determine the price.  Shiny new ships like Wonder have more expensive cabins AND more expensive drink/food packages.  Older, smaller ships...not so much.  Definitely supply and demand based.

Some of my "yes" "no" answers are in pairs of B2B cruises on the same ship, so your theory doesn't work.  🙂 

On 8/1/2022 at 11:31 PM, rudeney said:

On our next cruise, DBP is on sale for $65.  Voom S&S 2-device is $31.19 and DBP + Voom S&S is $82.  The final check-out price of 2x DBP + Voom is $1322.28.  For 2x DBP and Voom S&S 2-device it's $1,292.13.  Guess what I bought?

Last option.

• Like 1

Both my Oasis cruises (October 2022 and June 2023) the drink package is $98.  It's almost always on sale for $77.99.  Much higher than the $58 I paid for it on Anthem this past March.  It would be nice for some consistency across ships but alas, understanding business, I know that will NEVER happen as long as people are still buying it.

• Like 1

On 8/1/2022 at 2:25 PM, chiguy67 said:

I noticed for our Symphony sailing in September that the DBP is around $67, lowest I’ve seen since April.

Same for our September Harmony sailing. It has been hovering between $74 and $78 since April but was $68 over the weekend. Apparently $68 is low enough for us to pull the trigger. 😂

10 hours ago, vjmatty said:

No changes on Anthem transatlantic this October... still vacillating between $67 and $72 depending on whether "sale" is currently in effect or not.

Same price on my upcoming Anthem Bahamas sailing in November. Paid $50 last February on Anthem. 

• Like 1

Prices are based on their metrics.  As in what the market will bear.  As long as people are willing to pay a particular price, they'll keep charging that.  Also, they will occasionally offer "sales" to entice new people to buy.  And, then, they will increase prices as they can/need to.  It's all in the marketing.   It's what I learned in college in business and economics classes.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, BND said:

Prices are based on their metrics.  As in what the market will bear.  As long as people are willing to pay a particular price, they'll keep charging that.  Also, they will occasionally offer "sales" to entice new people to buy.  And, then, they will increase prices as they can/need to.  It's all in the marketing.   It's what I learned in college in business and economics classes.

Yep!  And they even adjust prices per ship based on sales.   The DBP must not moving well on our Voyager sailing as they have kept it fairly low (well, low for these days) at $65.  It's bumped up to $70 and $75, but it's been $65 more than any other price.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

I think it would be interesting if someone did their MBA thesis on Cocoa Cay pricing, especially when the beach club and cabanas go from LOL prices to ROFLMAO prices. 

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2022 at 3:11 AM, Merion_Mom said:

Some of my "yes" "no" answers are in pairs of B2B cruises on the same ship, so your theory doesn't work.  🙂 

So you are saying the wonder at near 100 per day has nothing to do with it being the newest ship?  Instead only demand for the package on that one particular sailing?   Seems to me a little more data is needed to reject his “theory” outright.  I don’t hear of any older ships charging that right now.  Just a spurious correlation?   I’m doubtful.  

1 hour ago, vjmatty said:

I think it would be interesting if someone did their MBA thesis on Cocoa Cay pricing, especially when the beach club and cabanas go from LOL prices to ROFLMAO prices. 

First, no thesis in MBA programs.  It isn’t a research degree.  I suppose a few could require one, but that would be exceedingly rare.  Second, no thesis needed.  Very easy stuff.  Limited supply and sufficient demand.  They keep raising prices until it reduces demand.  If demand falls they lower prices.  

People pay a fortune for cabanas in places like Vegas and have for years.   Same for vip tables at the best night get clubs for n most big cities.   Same concept.  The cabana prices aren’t that crazy if you compare them to the things I just mentioned.   I’ve been in groups where someone I knew spent thousands on the above.  

I'm doing a 4 nighter on Rhapsody in September.

The DBP was $67 + grats, now it's $63 + grats.

My problem is my wife doesn't drink (not even coffees/soft drinks) so I'll just be pay as you go.

9 minutes ago, nadge said:

My problem is my wife doesn't drink (not even coffees/soft drinks) so I'll just be pay as you go.

Normally I'd say call and buy for yourself and get her the beverage package, but if she only drinks water, it's not worth it unless she wants bottled water multiple times a day.  We have just never found it worthwhile, even moreso now with our 5 drinks a day.

For our upcoming b2b Jewel cruise on Nov 6 and Nov 13, it's $62.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BND said:

Normally I'd say call and buy for yourself and get her the beverage package, but if she only drinks water, it's not worth it unless she wants bottled water multiple times a day.  We have just never found it worthwhile, even moreso now with our 5 drinks a day.

For our upcoming b2b Jewel cruise on Nov 6 and Nov 13, it's $62.  

I thought you had to get the same package for each person in the cabin ???

4 minutes ago, nadge said:

I thought you had to get the same package for each person in the cabin ???

If one person doesn't drink at all, you can call and only purchase one, but you have to buy the beverage package for the other.

24 minutes ago, BND said:

If one person doesn't drink at all, you can call and only purchase one, but you have to buy the beverage package for the other.

That's very interesting.
I assume you mean the "refreshment package" which is on at $23 + grats rather than the "classic soda package" which is on at $8.99 + grats ??

15 minutes ago, nadge said:

That's very interesting.
I assume you mean the "refreshment package" which is on at $23 + grats rather than the "classic soda package" which is on at $8.99 + grats ??

Yes.  We don't buy them so really don't pay attention to the names.

There are older threads on here discussing it.  Some people can't or don't drink due to medical, religious or just personal beliefs.  

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, little britain said:

Will there be a cruise planner “sale” around labour day weekend? 

Depends….are you talking about a true sale like they once did, or the usual smoke and mirrors of late? Given the air quotes I’m assuming you’re talking about the latter, which on my sailing happens about every two weeks. Labor Day weekend may affect the timing a little but I’m not optimistic it will mean much. 

Wow am I jaded or what lol 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2022 at 11:50 AM, nadge said:

For all European cruises this year there is a European promo of £40pppd including taxes and tips. It’s not on the planner, you have to call to get this price. 

12 hours ago, little britain said:

For all European cruises this year there is a European promo of £40pppd including taxes and tips. It’s not on the planner, you have to call to get this price. 

Sounds great - thank you!!
Is it a country specific promotion? What I mean is it only for UK customers? I live in Israel so I booked through the Israeli site.

Which number did you call?

2 hours ago, nadge said:

Sounds great - thank you!!
Is it a country specific promotion? What I mean is it only for UK customers? I live in Israel so I booked through the Israeli site.

Which number did you call?

It’s for European cruises booked through European travel agents; so if you booked via USA you cannot get this