Statendam vs Koningsdam promenade deck

QuattroRomeo

We were recently aboard Koningsdam, and noticed that the wraparound deck, I think deck 5, had all of the lifeboats obstructing the view, at least mid-ship, when you walked around it outside. Is it the same on the Nieuw Statendam? 

25 minutes ago, QuattroRomeo said:

We were recently aboard Koningsdam, and noticed that the wraparound deck, I think deck 5, had all of the lifeboats obstructing the view, at least mid-ship, when you walked around it outside. Is it the same on the Nieuw Statendam? 

Yes - they're sister ships so identical layout.  Same for Rotterdam as well.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, trk_koa said:

Yes. You can walk all the way around. It gets a little bit narrow in places. 

Thanks.  I guess the pictures I saw were of points where the path turns 90 degrees, giving the appearance of a dead end.  I’ll assume a full wrap is true for all the Pinnacle sisters (if it isn’t, please correct me).

Due to time limitations, cruises on HAL’s other ship classes doesn’t work for me this year.  I may opt for an RCI ship which has a better promenade than the Pinnacle ships.

Rotterdam may be slightly different.  Lifeboat mounts have been modified somewhat to allow transits of the Panama Canal which MAY have slightly narrowed certain points next  to the lifeboats.  I think we would have heard a lot if there was a big difference and I've been looking but not seen anything. 

I  have done mass group walks on both Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam with no issues completing the walk.

Roy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SetAnOpenCourse said:

Thanks.  I guess the pictures I saw were of points where the path turns 90 degrees, giving the appearance of a dead end.  I’ll assume a full wrap is true for all the Pinnacle sisters (if it isn’t, please correct me).

Due to time limitations, cruises on HAL’s other ship classes doesn’t work for me this year.  I may opt for an RCI ship which has a better promenade than the Pinnacle ships.

Here are some photos of a stroll around the Pinnacle-class ships:

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_3174.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_3180.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_3177.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_0247.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-nieuw-statendam/IMG_3171.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Fond memories of transatlantics on the Maasdam and Veendam lounging on the Promenade deck with a book in hand.  We were fond of the lanai cabins so we could just stroll out there easily, particularly when coming into European ports.  So exciting, really.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, ski ww said:

I'll sure miss sitting in a deck chair on the promenade deck watching the ocean pass by reading a book or having a nap. 

There are still 8 ships in the fleet with the classic Holland America promenade deck.  We did the Nieuw Amsterdam last winter and a Pinnacle class.  They each have their virtues.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Rotterdam may be slightly different.  Lifeboat mounts have been modified somewhat to allow transits of the Panama Canal which MAY have slightly narrowed certain points next  to the lifeboats.  I think we would have heard a lot if there was a big difference and I've been looking but not seen anything. 

I  have done mass group walks on both Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam with no issues completing the walk.

Roy

Yes, the Rotterdam is different with respect to the lifeboat placement.  But one can walk around the circumference of the ship.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Yes, Pinnacle ships have given up some of the grandeur of the promenade.  I am a promenade deck walker. 

Roy,

You are correct that Rotterdam has a different lifeboat configuration, but it does not change the walking space on promenade deck in most situations. I sailed her in Feb and spoke to one of the ship's officers who was inspecting maintenance on the boats.  He showed me how the davit design was different, and used hydraulic davits that allowed the lifeboats and tenders to be retracted inward for the Panama Canal.  Only then would the promenade deck have a slightly reduced walk path.  Im a geek about ship design, and found it interesting. The stored hydraulics he mentioned could cycle the boats several times even if power was lost. 

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

To the displeasure of many of us, the days of the traditional promenade deck with beautiful views of the sea from a steamer chair are a thing of the past except for a few ships like Vista and Signature class ships on HAL , a shame but if the cruise lines weren't so worried about revenue they could still have a second promenade deck, a deck above the current promenade. That was the case on our first cruise on Sitmar's Fairwind which was originally the Cunard Sylvania, a true Ocean Liner and they called it the Ocean deck.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

To the displeasure of many of us, the days of the traditional promenade deck with beautiful views of the sea from a steamer chair are a thing of the past except for a few ships like Vista and Signature class ships on HAL , a shame but if the cruise lines weren't so worried about revenue they could still have a second promenade deck, a deck above the current promenade. That was the case on our first cruise on Sitmar's Fairwind which was originally the Cunard Sylvania, a true Ocean Liner and they called it the Ocean deck.

Well that’s why it’s good that they have different classes of ships for different tastes.  I adore the pinnacle class and would be happy to only sail on that class.

I want to thank those that posted the information about the Rotterdam being the only ship that has “corrected” the lifeboat situation.  I’ve seen it posted several times that this was corrected on the nieuw statendam as well and I was quite certain that wasn’t true.

14 minutes ago, pdanza22 said:

We are considering a deck 4 veranda cabin on the Rotterdam towards the aft.  It seems that the balconies on those cabins look a lot larger than the normal veranda balcony.  Can anyone comment if this is indeed the case? Thanks.

Deck 4 verandahs are deeper (distance from your stateroom to the railing) than those on the other decks.  The ones most forward have solid steel walls rather than plexiglass, and I think quite a few towards the aft (but not on the actual stern of the ship) connect to the stateroom next door.  Just pay attention to the deck plan & choose wisely.  Depending how far aft you're looking it might make sense to go starboard rather than port to eliminate the possibility of noise from the galley (if that's on deck 3).

Sue/WDW1972

7 minutes ago, wdw1972 said:

Deck 4 verandahs are deeper (distance from your stateroom to the railing) than those on the other decks.  The ones most forward have solid steel walls rather than plexiglass, and I think quite a few towards the aft (but not on the actual stern of the ship) connect to the stateroom next door.  Just pay attention to the deck plan & choose wisely.  Depending how far aft you're looking it might make sense to go starboard rather than port to eliminate the possibility of noise from the galley (if that's on deck 3).

Sue/WDW1972

Thank you for the information, I certainly have to check the deck plan further.  We are planning a transatlantic for next Fall and wanted to be able to have a roomy veranda to enjoy the crossing. 

3 hours ago, pdanza22 said:

We are considering a deck 4 veranda cabin on the Rotterdam towards the aft.  It seems that the balconies on those cabins look a lot larger than the normal veranda balcony.  Can anyone comment if this is indeed the case? Thanks.

They are essentially double the depth of balcony cabin verandas on other decks...very large.  Be aware that the extended portion on nearly all of those extended Deck 4 verandas are open to above.  That's great if you want more sun, not so great if you are shy about someone looking down on you from above.  Of course, if you want to stay back out of view, you just sit back under the covered portion.

If the seas are a bit rough, your verandah might get more salt spray on deck 4 than if you were on a higher deck.  That might not be as much of an issue being near the aft end of the ship as it would be if your cabin was more towards the bow.

Edited by AFNavigator