Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

39 minutes ago, DisneyJen said:

Awww ... thanks so much @Jim_Iain! Just trying to pay it forward.

@DJsDH left on Tuesday for business so I was behind the 8 ball with trying to get him ready to be business traveling so soon after our disembarkation!

Really enjoyed you live report.   I hadn’t remembered that we knew Mar from a previous cruise. 

Really enjoying Summit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really enjoyed you live report.   I hadn’t remembered that we knew Mar from a previous cruise. 

Really enjoying Summit. 

The Summit is my favorite ... I guess since it was my first Celebrity cruise. I also like the size of the M class.

Please give our (Andy and Jen) regards to Yuksel.

2 hours ago, 81Zoomie said:

Hi Jim,

Hope you are having a great cruise!  We enjoy following your posts.  We are wondering where the Edge is going after AUS/NZ in Apr 2024.  Those of us on the last published Edge sailing will miss all (Celebrity, RCL, Princess, HAL, etc) the currently scheduled Trans Pacific cruises returning to the North America.  If you have the opportunity to ask on board, we would appreciate it 😊

Wherever it goes I think it will book out very quickly when they announce it. Like you we are eagerly awaiting. Jim if you do find out, you might need to respond in code so that not too many people find our 🤣

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

10 meter seas, that is pretty rough, especially on a smaller vessel.  

I am enjoying the pictures…good work.  

This will give an idea of how rough.  They did warn us of the sea conditions and offered opportunity to cancel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2022 at 5:29 PM, Jim_Iain said:

It is so much fun.   While living on Long Island my buddy and I would hop on the LI RR into the city and visit the museums as well as the World's Fare.   Times were so different back then and I always felt safe.

Just catching up and loving your TR.

I went to high school in Suffolk County on Long Island and we frequently jumped on the LIRR.Great memories.

Thanks for posting the NYC pics.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I thought the same.  Maybe a guest in MDR crumpled it up and tossed it on the ground, saying what garbage.

We usually select something from MDR menu every night. 

I know it seems strange, but not being able to easily order from the MDR menu in Luminae was the thing that we liked  least about the Apex.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

I’m also going to add Sue Grafton to the list, one of my favorites....each book started with a letter of the alphabet.  A is for Alibi....she made it to Y is for Yesterday before she passed away.  Only one left!  Made me sad...

I was sad too... I liked Kinsey very much. Also Robert B. Parker's Spenser 😢

• Like 2

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

I think the question was about the whole card, not just the beverage package information.  Our past several cruises have had a clear sticky Saran Wrap-ish covering over the sea pass card that has all the name and folio number etc. data on it .  With normal use the plastic starts curling and peeling at the corners.  If the plastic is removed there is nothing on the hard card.  If you want a pristine one as a souvenir, you have to request another one.  I wish they would go back to imprinted cards.

Exactly.  It didn't take long for the peeling to start.  I've had a couple where the printing wears off, but it's much less than the whole card peeling off.

Maybe I'll just ask for a new card every day so they'll go back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sailing away from Newfoundland and Labrador is beautiful.  Fog is settling in.  

36B727E8-FB2A-4434-9527-F3CE278FEC60.thumb.jpeg.5a8879d918a5ff6dedd5181a79a79c8d.jpeg

0A9E0AB3-5096-4512-BD57-7FC0914E98A7.thumb.jpeg.363ea8f4c6d91c9ebb6273720391da8c.jpeg

249967A4-0CC2-43D2-998F-8B6CD4073419.thumb.jpeg.91c52976af11cde2d2ae25795abcacee.jpeg

05A9121B-17CB-4FAF-BA39-0158513504D7.thumb.jpeg.d868b22bdfe010d04891a036747645ac.jpeg

B41AD30E-8F6D-4316-8FC5-3552078E9E89.thumb.jpeg.f9f9bae806ccb9fd20374510d82d5a7d.jpeg

Awesome pics!!!  A great review as well🥳 I really enjoy reading it and I’m always looking for your updates😊. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmdlv1 said:

Just catching up and loving your TR.

I went to high school in Suffolk County on Long Island and we frequently jumped on the LIRR.Great memories.

Thanks for posting the NYC pics.

LIRR and NYC..not the same anymore.  

Nostalgic for those good old days..life was much simpler and safer then!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, peanut head said:

Jim, 

If you consider this question too personal please don't answer.  I was wondering, with you and Iain being away for so many days, how do you handle monthly bills at home?   Do you have on-line banking?  I've always wanted to do a long term cruise but just haven't figured out how to handle the day-to-day rigors of homelife. 🙃

We did 60 days and did online banking as most bills were not consistent, and hubby won’t let anyone pull funds where he can’t review first.  However, you can only pay Dish  satellite service from a US ip!  When the internet folks couldn’t explain the rejection I told hubby to try my iPad, which I had installed a free vpn on, it worked!  We also had to prepay our oil bill ahead of time, they were happy with just a guess which was low.  They only take cash and checks, and leave the bill on the door!  

i know others that prepaid things like Amex but they were only gone for one cycle. We tried it once with another card and it was a bit more clumsy.   

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Not a problem.   I’m a very paperless kind of person and pay everything by autopay.  Many of the bills are charged to credit card and then autopay. 

The few bills like the Gardner prefer Venmo and I just get a text requesting payment and then on app approve. 

Really bizarre that i rarely carry cash.  Almost everything I do accept Apple Pay using my Chase Sapphire. 

Part of our retirement planning was that we paid off all of our homes.  We don’t have car payments and pay off credit card every month. 

In these days I find you can do almost everything virtually.    One of my tenants called and said the refrigerator died.  I just logged onto HomeDepot and bought a new one and arranged delivery to work with her schedule.   She texted back, I love it. 

We had a tree come down at a rental property.  The tenant got it blue tarped and notified us.  I also had relatives in the area.  The tree was a huge lake and only some branches hit the roof, destroyed some of the side siding and put a medium branch embed in the ground, it looked like a small tree.  What was amazing was it was close to the water line but missed.  Of course it took out the above ground electric, phone, and cable wires for the neighbors across the street and totally block the road, fortunately dead end.  

we’ve now sold all the rental properties!  Whew. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This will give an idea of how rough.  They did warn us of the sea conditions and offered opportunity to cancel. 

In Cozumel ferry we were giving a choice to opt out.  Shore had a gallon bad full of sea sick pills and the crew gave us blue bags.  Only one on the gangway at a time! And I’m pretty sure we weren’t at 10 meters.  We did those type numbers on the Azamara Quest!  Crew was sick and so was the CD. 

glad you made your trip.

• Like 1

Jim, we were on the 12:30 Whale & Puffin Tour. My husband had his telephoto lens, and he got a couple fantastic puffin pictures. Not sure how they all turned out. It was definitely choppy seas! If you're interested, I'll try to share a couple when he gets them processed and uploaded. We got lucky with the overbooked passengers and ended up in a taxi filled with six. I asked our driver if he could just point out the turn off for the eastern most point of North America as I had to make choices and opted for the puffin tour. He said if we rode back with him, that he might take a detour. And we did. He let us out at Cape Spear and our little group was able to take photos at the point. It made up for not seeing a whale. It also goes to show that it never hurts to ask!

I'm not sure how I feel about this ship time being different than local time. Actually, I do know how I feel. I don't like it! I think it was more confusing than the 1/2 hour would have been. And I definitely would have preferred to have only lost 1/2 hour last night and then another 1/2 tonight instead of the full hour tonight.

I must have been channeling you as I took some photos today. Got a few very similar ones including the falling ice.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2022 at 9:52 AM, Arzeena said:

All this time reading and thoroughly enjoying thier review upon review upon review, I thought this was Jim. 🤔😳

Apologize for the mix up. Now I know.

I am afraid I had you mixed up too!  Thanks for setting us straight!