Flight to Seattle canceled - can we board Eurodam in Juneau?

LoraJ

Before the pandemic, when our flight to Seattle was cancelled (as we were checking in that morning at the airport), I had a list of other available flights and AA put me on a non-stop with Alaska Airlines. I have had some success in the past communicating with an airline rep via their Twitter account, sometimes you can get someone to help.

I am unsure about boarding in Juneau (I know some things have changed in light of the pandemic). HAL’s website has a Chat feature, but sometimes it’s not available. 

I am sure this is incredibly frustrating! I pray everything works out for you. Best wishes!

Edited by syesmar

Yeah the chat is not available now. I have been on hold with the service line for an hour. Will see if I can do Alaska Airlines, I can't even get my luggage back from united.

ETA: All airlines sold out. 😞

Edited by LoraJ

42 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Assuming it’s a Seattle return cruise, no you can’t. That would violate the PVSA. 

PVSA no longer apply to alaska cruises as far as I know. Shoulder they allow you board in Alaska is a totally different subject. I really do not see why not if flight was cancelled.

4 minutes ago, tunafish said:

PVSA no longer apply to alaska cruises as far as I know. Shoulder they allow you board in Alaska is a totally different subject. I really do not see why not if flight was cancelled.

All the laws around the PVSA exception ended when Canada started to allow cruise ships. It was not extended to my knowledge.  

51 minutes ago, LoraJ said:

They said we CAN get on in Juneau, now if we can only get there

Can you fly to Vancouver?  From there you can book a flight to Juneau with either Delta or Alaska Airlines.  Good luck.

Edited by Sue from Canada

3 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

Can you fly to Vancouver?  From there you can book a flight to Juneau with either Delta or Alaska Airlines.  Good luck.

Also, if you can get to Vancouver, is there a way to get to Seatlle (bus or train?). When we sailed out of Vancouver there were folks on our cruise that were coming in from a Seattle flight.

I hope she is on a flight, I look forward to updates.   When we encountered similar issues on the east coast we found the best measure was to talk to the gate agent.  She reached out and rebooked my sister on another airline courtesy of American as it was their flight that was canceled 

We sure hope the OP found a flight.  One hint is to check with Southwest as they are not listed on all the various travel web sites.   Some of us have been warning, for months, that folks need to be extra cautious now, and in the future, with making arrangements to fly to a port.  Flying in the day of a cruise is simply asking for trouble and even flying in 1 day early may no longer be enough.  The more extra days you have pre-cruise the better the odds that you will get to your port.  Folks should also consider driving many hours to get to an airport that offers non-stop flights to your port or involves fewer connections.

Hank

7 hours ago, LoraJ said:

Yeah the chat is not available now. I have been on hold with the service line for an hour. Will see if I can do Alaska Airlines, I can't even get my luggage back from united.

ETA: All airlines sold out. 😞

7 hours ago, LoraJ said:

They said we CAN get on in Juneau, now if we can only get there

I don't think I would trust the random CSR on a chat with this answer. Sometimes they seem to come up with an answer without checking based on what they think the answer should be.

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Flying in the day of a cruise is simply asking for trouble and even flying in 1 day early may no longer be enough.  The more extra days you have pre-cruise the better the odds that you will get to your port. 

Well now I'm hooked.  Is the OP's original flight in the day of embarkation?

It seems to me that PVSA would be the last of her worries since the ship stops in Victoria on the way back to Seattle. They might even get an extra day in Juneau since the ship doesn't get there until Mon the 8th. That said this site would be the last place I would take advice from in this situation. 

sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

2 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

It seems to me that PVSA would be the last of her worries since the ship stops in Victoria on the way back to Seattle. That said this site would be the last place I would take advice from in this situation. 

sightcrr

Victoria is irrelevant. It’s only useful on a closed loop cruise.  Juneau to Seattle needs a foreign DISTANT port.  

• Like 2

When my traveling companion missed the ship in Seattle a few years ago due to a family emergency, she was allowed to board the ship in Juneau - no problems. Just have to coordinate with airlines and HAL which turned out to be the hardest part. She did make it.

Susan

11 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Assuming it’s a Seattle return cruise, no you can’t. That would violate the PVSA. 

Passengers can join an Alaskan cruise in progress - it's called 'downlining'.

You are not allowed to leave a ship before it visits it's foreign port-of-call (Victoria).  If that did happen (for whatever reason, i.e., medical, emergency at home, etc), either the passenger or the cruise line would incur a hefty fine of about $800.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

We sure hope the OP found a flight.  One hint is to check with Southwest as they are not listed on all the various travel web sites.   Some of us have been warning, for months, that folks need to be extra cautious now, and in the future, with making arrangements to fly to a port.  Flying in the day of a cruise is simply asking for trouble and even flying in 1 day early may no longer be enough.  The more extra days you have pre-cruise the better the odds that you will get to your port.  Folks should also consider driving many hours to get to an airport that offers non-stop flights to your port or involves fewer connections.

Hank

Yes, I’m sure people understand that.  Not everyone is retired or a trust fund baby that works 6 months a year for giggles.  Not everyone has the luxury of flying a week before their 7 day cruise and it would be lovely not to hear it on every thread when flight cancellations are mentioned.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Yes, I’m sure people understand that.  Not everyone is retired or a trust fund baby that works 6 months a year for giggles.  Not everyone has the luxury of flying a week before their 7 day cruise and it would be lovely not to hear it on every thread when flight cancellations are mentioned.

And not everyone wants to deal with the hassles, disappointment, etc. when a cruise is missed.  

Hank

• Like 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

And not everyone wants to deal with the hassles, disappointment, etc. when a cruise is missed.  

Hank

Yes of course not but you completely glossed over my point.  If you have a choice of no cruise or flying in the day of I know what I’d pick.  I know some folks have been retired for decades and they’ve completely forgotten how work takes over your life.  This is especially true if you own your own business or if you work for a publicly traded company.  

• Like 3

Hi all!

So we have a flight to juneau tomorrow and I called that HAL emergency line last night and they have alerted the ship that we will be joining them there. But now I am wondering if we have to get a COVID test again since we took ours on Thursday. 

Now our issue is our luggage, United will not let us retrieve our bags. They said we can't get our bags today and we can't even request them to be sent to us until we reach our destination, our destination is a moving ship. I am at a loss. 

ETA:

We were flying the day before our cruise. And if we had flown the day before that, the flight would have been canceled as well. 

Also, yje HA: emergency services people said the only port we couldn't join in would be Skagway, and that wasn't even a stop forus. 

Edited by LoraJ
adding info
  • Like 3