coral princess sports bar?

33 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Does anyone know if there is a sports bar on the Coral princess that will show the F1?

Nooo, you dont go on a cruise to watch tv, you can do that at home, cheaper, lol. Like the Yanks..always asking ā€¦.will the superbowl be on the ships tv, or muts, for gods sake.

Thanks for the help. I'm on board for 22 nights, its only one race.

I don't watch the MUTS or tv in my room, But I will watch that race. Even if I have to figure out how to put foxtel on my phone and watch it there.

6 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Thanks for the help. I'm on board for 22 nights, its only one race.

I don't watch the MUTS or tv in my room, But I will watch that race. Even if I have to figure out how to put foxtel on my phone and watch it there.

You might have to watch it on your phone or on line. Often professional sports aren't shown on the ships' TV system because one particularly TV channel in Aust would have the rights to broadcast it and the cost for the cruise line would be high.

• Like 1

There is a sports bar. It shows as Churchills cigar lounge, but is a no smoking area when cruising from Australia.

Ā 

Princess has always been hit & miss for sports, but I believe they had state of origin. The thing that makes it even less likely to be onĀ  at a bar or the big screen is that it is late at night, so not enough eyes to make a thing of it and pay for the broadcast fee.

Ā 

They would be able to get the Sky UK feed via satellite, if they wanted to. Can't see it though. So ships wi-fi and Foxtel Go is your best bet. Hopefully the ships IP does not show as a foreign market which would restrict the Foxtel signal.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SinbadThePorter said:

There is a sports channel on the cabin TV. I think it is this one, but I'm not certain.

Ā 

At various times I recall seeing Union, NRL and soccer on it, but I didn't see any F1. Which is not to say there isn't any.

Same for P&O. No, we don't watch much. A bit before lights out, and a bit to wake up with.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

Thank you Sinbad the Porter and arxcards.

I will search the link you posted Sinbad.

Arxcards, ESPN often shows F1 when travelling in Asia.

Ā 

Ā 

I can't say I have seen it aboard. Very US oriented programming, with NFL, NBA and college sports depending on the time of year.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arxcards said:

There is a sports bar. It shows as Churchills cigar lounge, but is a no smoking area when cruising from Australia.

Ā 

Princess has always been hit & miss for sports, but I believe they had state of origin. The thing that makes it even less likely to be onĀ  at a bar or the big screen is that it is late at night, so not enough eyes to make a thing of it and pay for the broadcast fee.

Ā 

They would be able to get the Sky UK feed via satellite, if they wanted to. Can't see it though. So ships wi-fi and Foxtel Go is your best bet. Hopefully the ships IP does not show as a foreign market which would restrict the Foxtel signal.

In 2015 we did the repositioning cruise from Sydney to Singapore on the Diamond Princess. The cricket World Cup was on and the final was shown on the big screen and on the cabin TVs. We were sitting on our balcony and knew the final had started by the roar of the crowd up on deck watching on the big screen. With both Australia and NZ playing in the final, there was great interest in the game.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

In 2015 we did the repositioning cruise from Sydney to Singapore on the Diamond Princess. The cricket World Cup was on and the final was shown on the big screen and on the cabin TVs. We were sitting on our balcony and knew the final had started by the roar of the crowd up on deck watching on the big screen. With both Australia and NZ playing in the final, there was great interest in the game.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

It is awesome when they can get a big event on. Sun Princess had not long arrived in Australia, and we cruised during the 2008 "monkeygate" test. No big screen on deck then, but they were doing those big events in the theatre. We asked about cricket, but they insisted nobody wanted to watch it. Instead, they had a big event in the theatre for the US college football Rose Bowl. They talked it up for days, and had just 2 or 3 dozen show up to watch it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It is awesome when they can get a big event on. Sun Princess had not long arrived in Australia, and we cruised during the 2008 "monkeygate" test. No big screen on deck then, but they were doing those big events in the theatre. We asked about cricket, but they insisted nobody wanted to watch it. Instead, they had a big event in the theatre for the US college football Rose Bowl. They talked it up for days, and had just 2 or 3 dozen show up to watch it.

Was that Northern Explorer cruiseĀ  18 days - Freo to Sydney in 2008, Geoff?. We were on that one, ship had just arrived from the Land of the Free. It was all very American back then. The main course in MDR was still called the Entree.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Just now, NSWP said:

Was that Northern Explorer cruise from Freo to Sydney in 2008, Geoff?. We were on that one, ship had just arrived from the Land of the Free.

We weren't that lucky. It was for NYE 2007/08, for 12 nights of Pacific Island bliss. She arrived in November 2007, just a few weeks after your illustrious crossing on Regal Princess.

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

We weren't that lucky. It was for NYE 2007/08, for 12 nights of Pacific Island bliss. She arrived in November 2007, just a few weeks after your illustrious crossing on Regal Princess.

Right, yep that unforgettable last cruise of ye olde Regal. 10 metre seas and all that.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/8/2022 at 7:41 PM, arxcards said:

The Churchill's bar is a non-event. Empty, and just an overflow sitting area. Anything would be better.

Ā 

Good news for F1. If you have Foxtel, the Go app works on the ship OK - no region or IP blocking. The cabin TV is moderately smart, but I haven't worked out a way of casting to it from my phone.Ā 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 8:29 PM, arxcards said:

The Churchill's bar is a non-event. Empty, and just an overflow sitting area. Anything would be better.

Ā 

Good news for F1. If you have Foxtel, the Go app works on the ship OK - no region or IP blocking. The cabin TV is moderately smart, but I haven't worked out a way of casting to it from my phone.Ā 

I have foxtel. I will have to load the app onto my phone. I will ask my room boy if he knows how to do it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yes!yes!yes! said:

I have foxtel. I will have to load the app onto my phone. I will ask my room boy if he knows how to do it.

The Foxtel app also works with chromecast, so will take one with us on spec next time.

Ā 

Our cabin TVs had USB and HDMI inputs behind, but being wall mounted, you would need to be Houdini to get to them. Also no input button on the remote to switch away from their platform. Forget bringing your own pillows, time to pack a 24 inch smart TV to cast to. šŸ˜

Ā 

Interesting their app worked, but I went to look at some clips on the Fox Sports website last night, and they were region blocked.

Edited by arxcards
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The Foxtel app also works with chromecast, so will take one with us on spec next time.

Ā 

Our cabin TVs had USB and HDMI inputs behind, but being wall mounted, you would need to be Houdini to get to them. Also no input button on the remote to switch away from their platform. Forget bringing your own pillows, time to pack a 24 inch smart TV to cast to. šŸ˜

Ā 

Interesting their app worked, but I went to look at some clips on the Fox Sports website last night, and they were region blocked.

Maybe it's time to buy a new tablet on a port day. My old Samsung one died a year or two ago

• Like 1