Shocking...just Shocking??

kjwinston2019

6 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Those are low current outlets due to them being in the bathroom for safety.  They won't support a hair dryer.   I suspect they are fused and if you try it will probably blow the fuse.

OK. Thanks so much.

23 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

NO  Never bring a device like this with surge protector.  It can damage the ships electrical system and possibly cause a fire.  Just because you get away with it doesn't mean is safe.

Get one without a surge suppressor

Here is a reference to an old CC thread where chengkp75 who is/was a Chief Engineer on a cruise ship explains the safety issues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

If you click on the photos, it says surge prevention…

it also looks fairly large and I suspect it could pull out of the socket. Not sure it’s a great choice. 

Fifth photo from the top on the left "small photos". I agree, looks like it would be easy to knock out of the European outlet.

surge.JPG

17 minutes ago, markeb said:

If you click on the photos, it says surge prevention…

it also looks fairly large and I suspect it could pull out of the socket. Not sure it’s a great choice. 

I did not see the surge prevention so good catch.  So no not a good choice.  Generally these adapters don't have this.  As far as size it's 3" x 2" so is pretty small.   I'M NO LONGER CONSIDERING THIS DEVICE.

An issue we ran into on Edge class with the boxed outlet is not being able to fit all chargers into the box. DH bought a very streamlined Euro adapter. We only get one USB out of it and it’s slow, but it does fit in the box with other chargers. I try to mostly keep my phone off since I leave it in airplane mode and we alternate charging devices, especially phones. We never bring a laptop, but we have 2 phones, 2 watches, 2 sets of Airbuds, 2 switches, a kindle (which usually doesn’t have to be charged) and an IPad, so more than our share of devices!

40 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

We never bring a laptop, but we have 2 phones, 2 watches, 2 sets of Airbuds, 2 switches, a kindle (which usually doesn’t have to be charged) and an IPad, so more than our share of devices!

Those should all charge off a corded USB A/C hub. No need to fit adapters into the box or carry a device with extra outlets or slow USB ports. 

5 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Those are low current outlets due to them being in the bathroom for safety.  They won't support a hair dryer.   I suspect they are fused and if you try it will probably blow the fuse.

They’re not good for blow dryers, but if you’re looking for another spot to plug in a charger  ….

14 hours ago, Mississippian said:

I really like this power expander and I don't think they would take it up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ADDENDUM: What I posted is technically a "surge protector," but I've never had any problem bringing one onboard.

PLEASE leave this thing home. It' doesn't belong on a cruise ship. ANY cruise ship. It can cause an electrical system fire. Please think about your fellow passengers. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mississippian said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ADDENDUM: What I posted is technically a "surge protector," but I've never had any problem bringing one onboard.

Not sure what the Addendum was suppose to even mean. ‘Technically’ means that’s what it is…….it Is a surge protector which is prohibited. And they are’nt prohibiting it just for fun or whatever. There are many non-surge protection devices.

Use the correct one and don’t recommend a surge protector just because it was missed and got brought on board…..in error.  

den  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Just a thought .... maybe you should consider "unplugging" for vacation.

Perhaps we should all just be left to do our own thing.

Provided, however, that doing so doesn't involve using surge protected power strips. 😀

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bgwest said:

Perhaps we should all just be left to do our own thing.

Provided, however, that doing so doesn't involve using surge protected power strips. 😀

Its kind of nice that Each of us can vacation as we wish: plugged, unplugged, semi-plugged……Inside, Suite…..Huge Party Ship, luxury, moderate…..

I had ‘friends’ (quotes for a reason) who knew we are cruisers told us how they went to one location for an extended time and then laughed at all ‘those people’ getting off a ship and spending a few hrs and thinking they have actually ‘been there’…..I asked them if they remember we cruise a lot…..it got quiet.

Den

Perhaps you should review this PDF from the Coast Guard about Surge Protective Devices Onboard Vessels. Specifically, the method of power delivery to a outlet on a marine vessel is different that the power delivery to an outlet of a home. Thus, while a surge protector works as expected in a home environment (if necessary, sacrificing itself for your electronic equipment to dump to ground), it can cause a fire on a ship. 

16 hours ago, Mississippian said:

These little gems are some of the worst for fires.  Even if you have brought it on before, and the cabin steward doesn't say anything about it, because they don't know, or don't want to lose their DSC by ticking you off, doesn't mean it isn't a danger.  Even a brand new, working perfectly surge protector, when plugged into the ship, can catch fire due to something completely out of your control, and at the other end of the ship.  On another thread, I discussed this problem, and another poster reported that that was just what happened.  They plugged the Belkin in, had nothing plugged into it, and it started to smoke and get hot.  If left, it would have melted and caught fire.

9 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

NO  Never bring a device like this with surge protector.  It can damage the ships electrical system and possibly cause a fire.  Just because you get away with it doesn't mean is safe.

Get one without a surge suppressor

Actually, a surge protector cannot "damage the ships electrical system" in any way, the only danger is to the surge protector itself, which can catch fire.

9 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

We were thinking of being able to plug in a hair dryer in the bathroom.

Randy

The bathroom outlets, marked "razor only" are limited to 40 watts of power, so only an electric razor, or an electric toothbrush or waterpik would work.  These are fused, so if you overload it, it requires the electrician to dismantle the whole light fixture to replace the fuse.

5 hours ago, Guppy99 said:

Just a thought .... maybe you should consider "unplugging" for vacation.

Leaving the laptop at home IS my vacation, but thanks for asking.

7 hours ago, markeb said:

Those should all charge off a corded USB A/C hub. No need to fit adapters into the box or carry a device with extra outlets or slow USB ports. 

Like the one with the pigtail shown before?

Edited by cangelmd

8 hours ago, markeb said:

10 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Leaving the laptop at home IS my vacation, but thanks for asking.

Like the one with the pigtail shown before?

Pretty much anything that only has USB ports, will be allowed.  It's the ones with both USB and power outlets that will draw attention, whether they are surge protected or not.  You can get them with 4,6, 8 or more USB ports.

9 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

We are very leery of anything that remotely looks like a surge protector for th3 reasons given.

I know its hard to read the molded writing on many of these devices, but this is where you can look.  Unless it says "VPR = x volts", or "x joules of protection" (VPR is voltage protection rating, and is a measure of how good a surge protector it is), then the device does not have surge protection.

And, here is the one bit of advice I give, but that tends to get twisted.  "If it has a two prong plug, it can't be surge protected, since a surge protector needs a connection to ground (the third, round pin).  Many here on CC get this mixed up, and say that "if it has a ground pin, it is surge protected", but this is not true.

• Like 1

One wonders whether someday one could cruise on a ship whose hotel power was clean enough to begin with not to cause issues for typical shoreside devices.  The problems at the root of the overheating and fires would never be tolerated anywhere else.

There have been two different faults identified in various papers and quotes here at CC: imbalance of voltage and noise that was blamed on SCR noise from propulsion power.  The former should be detected and force the offending circuit open, and the latter ... what can I say but wow.  If the spikes are bad enough and continuous enough to take out MOVs, I wouldn't want my gear plugged into it at all since protection against it isn't permitted. 

In other words, if its a 2-prong device, even if you plug it into a surge-protection connection, it doesnt get the benefit. 

And as Ive added to most similar threads, 21yrs in the Navy and 6 major sea deployments, Ive lost more shipmates due to ship fires than combat or any other mishap. Just picture yourself in a locked building you cant get out of that catches fire…..and the crew fighting the fire is the only thing between ‘it’ and you. 

So for most of us, thats enough of understanding to Not bring on surge-protectors and other banned items….no matter how much you hate wrinkles in your outfits and want more outlet plug-ins. There’s other choices. 

Den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1