NO-SHOW CABIN MATE

Has anyone had the experience of having their cabin mate be a no-show?

We are paid in full but I'm concerned that my cabin mate may be a no-show.  I'm wondering if they refund the port fees and taxes for the no-show person.  I'm assuming they will NOT refund the cruise fare.

Had that situation twice so far on Carnival.  Taxes, port fees, and any prepaid gratuities/packages will be refunded.  If not directly to you on-board account than within a week to the original form of payment.  I've had one of each happen. 

2 hours ago, groundloop said:

There's been some talk suggesting that no-shows are now charged a hefty cancellation fee, don't know for sure if that's the case or not.  Hopefully someone with recent experience can chime in.

the heftiest I've seen posted on here is $249

8 hours ago, groundloop said:

There's been some talk suggesting that no-shows are now charged a hefty cancellation fee, don't know for sure if that's the case or not.  Hopefully someone with recent experience can chime in.

I had a no-show on the Mardi Gras in March 2022 with no fee.  

10 hours ago, groundloop said:

That is because people are telling them at the port or at Guest Services that the other person is not coming.  They then call and have that person cancelled, which causes the penalty.  If you simply don't say anything, then all is fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

That is because people are telling them at the port or at Guest Services that the other person is not coming.  They then call and have that person cancelled, which causes the penalty.  If you simply don't say anything, then all is fine.

Appreciate that insight. We are going to have this issue on Monday. My fathers EX girlfriend will not be joining us. My father paid her fair anyway. So sounds like we should just keep our mouth shut? Would be nice to get the fee's back in the form of onboard credit but not at the risk of a cancellation fee. 

10 minutes ago, tap_out said:

Appreciate that insight. We are going to have this issue on Monday. My fathers EX girlfriend will not be joining us. My father paid her fair anyway. So sounds like we should just keep our mouth shut? Would be nice to get the fee's back in the form of onboard credit but not at the risk of a cancellation fee. 

You will not receive an onboard credit. You will get the taxes and fees refunded to the original form of payment.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tap_out said:

Yes, if they ask about her, just say something to the effect of she's coming separately.  When she doesn't show up, her pre-paids will be refunded to the original form of payment.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, sfaaa said:

Does this mean you have to do the check-in for the no show person as if he/she will be on the ship? Would like some advice as I am also dealing this situation next month.

You do the on-line check in as if they were planning to be there.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hi. I would like to post a question about this very topic. My cabinmate is not going to be going as he recently passed away and I could not find someone to take his place. So therefore he will have to be a no show. I have decided that I want to get the cheers package but if I do it online I have to still pay double. Should I wait until I am on-board to get the cheers package (yes, I know it will cost 10% more) when he will be registered as a no show? Should I wait until sailaway or should I get it immediately after boarding the ship? And at what point, if I got it ahead online and paid for both of us, might the second package get refunded?

Thank you in advance for any info I can get to help me make the right choice!

24 minutes ago, cjacksonii said:

Hi. I would like to post a question about this very topic. My cabinmate is not going to be going as he recently passed away and I could not find someone to take his place. So therefore he will have to be a no show. I have decided that I want to get the cheers package but if I do it online I have to still pay double. Should I wait until I am on-board to get the cheers package (yes, I know it will cost 10% more) when he will be registered as a no show? Should I wait until sailaway or should I get it immediately after boarding the ship? And at what point, if I got it ahead online and paid for both of us, might the second package get refunded?

First, sorry for the loss of your friend.  This is a tough one.  I would NOT do the online check-in for someone who is deceased, or purchase a Cheers package in his name.  

1 hour ago, cjacksonii said:

So sorry for your loss. Yes, wait until you board to purchase Cheers.  Also, wait until they have closed the doors for further boarding, at which time they will know that your cabinmate has not boarded.  If you have issues purchasing at a bar, please go to GS where they will help you.

7 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

So sorry for your loss. Yes, wait until you board to purchase Cheers.  Also, wait until they have closed the doors for further boarding, at which time they will know that your cabinmate has not boarded.  If you have issues purchasing at a bar, please go to GS where they will help you.

Thank you for the advise. I think that is exactly what I will do.

2 hours ago, cjacksonii said:

Hi. I would like to post a question about this very topic. My cabinmate is not going to be going as he recently passed away and I could not find someone to take his place. So therefore he will have to be a no show.......

Would Carnival be so heartless as to penalize someone for the death of their travelling companion?

• 3 months later...
On 8/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, sunny4jj said:

Thank you!

Hi. Was this the case? Did you receive the refund for the cheers? 

Also in a similar situation with an upcoming cruise. 3 out of 4 of us are going and I want to make sure we get the 4ths no show money back from prepaid cheers.