NCL cancels Copenhagen port stop at last minute for Dawn Aug. 24, no explanation

susiesan

I will be boarding Norwegian Dawn 6 days from now in Stockholm, on Aug. 16 ending in Amsterdam Aug. 26.  NCL sent us all an email today cancelling our last port of Copenhagen on Aug. 24. They are not giving a reason and not offering a refund of port taxes in the form of OBC. I looked at the Port of Copenhagen web site, there are 3 other ships there on Aug. 24 so the port is not closed. They are making Aug. 24 a day at sea and having us arrive in Amsterdam at 4:00 on Aug. 25, leaving no time to do anything there. We will overnight and embark on schedule on Aug. 26. This cruise was to have only 1 sea day, not 2.

How can I find out why NCL would do this at the last minute? Is it likely there will be some compensation for missing one of the best ports with no explanation?

It's very likely due to the draught and rising salt content in the canals in the Netherlands. The port authorities are for the time being not opening the locks on demand to allow ships to pass, but instead have them go through in groups at set times. Cruise ships may have to revise their itineraries to make it into Amsterdam in time for the next departure:

https://www.portofamsterdam.com/en/news/high-salt-levels-north-sea-canal

• Like 3

5 hours ago, susiesan said:

They are making Aug. 24 a day at sea and having us arrive in Amsterdam at 4:00 on Aug. 25, leaving no time to do anything there. We will overnight and embark on schedule on Aug. 26.

Are you therefore arriving in Amsterdam earlier than originally scheduled? If so, this change in your itinerary may possibly be due to a change in when you can use the lock in the sea canal up to Amsterdam. See this thread for more information:

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

The cruise line does not have to tell you the reasons they do or change everything.

Communications are very important, especially when a company is delivering unwelcome news.  Far too many businesses don't understand this, and don't realize that it may well help their customers "accept" and understand unwelcome news, especially since the decision may seem arbitrary otherwise. 

Whether NCL "had to" tell guests why Copenhagen was being cancelled, it would have been helpful for the OP and anyone else receiving this news to have been given the explanation about the locks in the Netherlands and the required change in arrival date in Amsterdam, assuming that's the reason (as it sure seems to be).

The lack of an explanation, especially if the reason was something like this that was totally beyond NCL's control, needlessly causes guests to be ticked off at NCL for no reason. 

Of course, we haven't seen the text of NCL's email.  Perhaps @susiesan could post it.

• Like 2

Here is the email sent to me aviary TA. Speculation on our roll call is that NCL wants to add a day at sea to boost onboard spending. No one spends money with NCL if they are on shore. Our original itinerary had the last day at sea and arriving Amsterdam in the morning to disembark. Seems NCL could have still arrived in Amsterdam on Thursday 8/24 in the morning giving us time to use AMS as a substitute port. it appears they are sailing very slow on purpose to drum up onboard spend.

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding Norwegian Dawn's sailing on August 16, 2022.

We are committed to delivering exceptional vacation experiences around the world. As such, it is always our intention to maintain original itineraries. However, at times, unforeseen circumstances require us to make modifications. As a result, your itinerary onboard Norwegian Dawn has been adjusted as listed below:

Tue STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN 5:00 pm
Wed OVERNIGHT IN HELSINKI, FINLAND 10:00 am
Thu HELSINKI, FINLAND 4:00 pm
Fri VISBY, SWEDEN 7:00 am 4:00 pm
Sat TALLINN, ESTONIA 7:00 am 5:00 pm
Sun KLAIPEDA, LITHUANIA 11:00 am 8:00 pm
Mon GDYNIA (GDANSK), POLAND 7:00 am 2:00 pm
Tue WARNEMUNDE (BERLIN), GERMANY 6:00 am 9:00 pm
Wed AT SEA
Thu AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS 4:00 pm Overnight
Fri AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS 6:00 am

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Here is the email sent to me aviary TA. Speculation on our roll call is that NCL wants to add a day at sea to boost onboard spending. No one spends money with NCL if they are on shore. Our original itinerary had the last day at sea and arriving Amsterdam in the morning to disembark. Seems NCL could have still arrived in Amsterdam on Thursday 8/24 in the morning giving us time to use AMS as a substitute port. it appears they are sailing very slow on purpose to drum up onboard spend.

On behalf of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), we thank you for your loyalty and for making us your vacation of choice. We have important information regarding Norwegian Dawn's sailing on August 16, 2022.

We are committed to delivering exceptional vacation experiences around the world. As such, it is always our intention to maintain original itineraries. However, at times, unforeseen circumstances require us to make modifications. As a result, your itinerary onboard Norwegian Dawn has been adjusted as listed below:

Tue STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN 5:00 pm
Wed OVERNIGHT IN HELSINKI, FINLAND 10:00 am
Thu HELSINKI, FINLAND 4:00 pm
Fri VISBY, SWEDEN 7:00 am 4:00 pm
Sat TALLINN, ESTONIA 7:00 am 5:00 pm
Sun KLAIPEDA, LITHUANIA 11:00 am 8:00 pm
Mon GDYNIA (GDANSK), POLAND 7:00 am 2:00 pm
Tue WARNEMUNDE (BERLIN), GERMANY 6:00 am 9:00 pm
Wed AT SEA
Thu AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS 4:00 pm Overnight
Fri AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS 6:00 am

I sincerely doubt a cruise line skips ports to increase onboard spending.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, tetleytea said:

I'm drooling at that itinerary, but missing Copenhagen is a major ouch.  They could at least move out the sailaway time in Rostock.  People are going all the way to Berlin from that port and could really use the extra time.

The itinerary WAS fabulous, why I chose this cruise, for the emphasis on the Baltic ports. it was even better before St. petersburg was dropped which is understandable.

There are other ports in Denmark that NCL could use, Skagen or Ronne. I don't know why they didn't sub those in for Copenhagen.

Edited by susiesan

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Our original itinerary had the last day at sea and arriving Amsterdam in the morning to disembark. Seems NCL could have still arrived in Amsterdam on Thursday 8/24 in the morning giving us time to use AMS as a substitute port.

54 minutes ago, susiesan said:

There are other ports in Denmark that NCL could use, Skagen or Ronne. I don't know why they didn't sub those in for Copenhagen.

Probably because the ship must arrive now at the sea lock at a specific time, and a different time from that which had previously been planned. So NCL probably doesn't have much choice in the timing.

• Like 1

@Turtles06

Very well said, fully in agreement with that.

@susiesan

However, at times, unforeseen circumstances require us to make modifications. 

This is their usual statement and is NOT good public relations.   How difficult would it be to put the explanation was NOT their decision but was required by the Dutch Authorities.   NCL then don't look like the nasty people!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

The issue is with Amsterdam and getting there in time for scheduled debark, not with Copenhagen.

The wording of the note from NCL was unfortunate though, as they don't give any explanation for a change that is bound to cause disappointment & speculation. Here's a quote from a similar notification we got from RCI recently re our sailing from Amsterdam in a few weeks. The reason is stated briefly but clearly enough to be understood:

Dear Guest,

Due to new port traffic limitations in Amsterdam, Netherlands, we’ll now set sail at 3:30 PM on boarding day and we’ll arrive early at the end of our cruise to align with updated lock timing

• Like 1

@Maria63

Dear Guest,

Due to new port traffic limitations in Amsterdam, Netherlands, we’ll now set sail at 3:30 PM on boarding day and we’ll arrive early at the end of our cruise to align with updated lock timing

Thank you for putting that.   Very good customer service. 

I hope that NCL are looking at posts on Cruise Critic and take note of what their opposition do.

How difficult would it be for NCL to do the same?

• Like 1

Speculation on our roll call is that NCL wants to add a day at sea to boost onboard spending.

I tried really hard to scroll by this, but...I...just...can't...today.

This falls in the category of "big bad companies are out to get us" conspiracy theories. I guess there are people who think that companies have departments devoted to coming up with new ways to sc#@w their customers, rather than the alternate view that these companies are trying to deliver what they advertised, but stuff happens. Every time a change like this happens, I am guessing it drives call volumes and complaints, so there is actually a disincentive to change the itinerary. I'm certainly not trying to defend NCL or any specific company - I just get irked by the default assumption that something nefarious is going on. (I understand the OP did not make this assertion, but it was made by someone(s) on another board.)

However, at times, unforeseen circumstances require us to make modifications.

I agree this is not the world's most informative statement, but it is true. And it saves the folks at NCL from having to re-craft their letter every time they have to send one out. I know others would prefer more details, but the details don't really change anything.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wil e coyote said:

I agree this is not the world's most informative statement, but it is true. And it saves the folks at NCL from having to re-craft their letter every time they have to send one out. I know others would prefer more details, but the details don't really change anything.

I disagree.  I think providing an informative statement would go a long way in preventing the kind of rampant speculation that "NCL is out to get us" that you quite rightly condemn in the start of your comment.   Look at the simple yet forthright notice that RCI sent to its guests about the same situation (comment 18 above).   It would be no big deal for NCL to craft an informative sentence or two. 

No business, let alone one the size of NCL, should be excused from practicing good communications with its customers, especially when it's delivering unwelcome news.  Apart from everything else, doing otherwise is foolish from a business standpoint, as it generates ill will, as evidenced just from the comments we've seen.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The least NCL could have done is cut and paste from RCI or HAL letter to impacted customers if they can't come up with their own letter. If they did this, none of us on the Aug. 16 Dawn sailing would have had to contact NCL or our TA's for the reason.

I still think NCL owes me the port taxes for Copenhagen that I paid in my ticket. Even if it is a small amount, it is dishonest of them to keep that money. I'll take OBC and buy a few cocktails with it to soothe my disappointment.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, susiesan said:

I still think NCL owes me the port taxes for Copenhagen that I paid in my ticket.

I agree with you on this point. I don't understand why NCL doesn't refund the port fees if they end up not docking in a port.

• Like 2

The truth could be somewhere in the middle.  NCL makes more money on an at-sea day, they wouldn't please everybody by finding a new port and charging everybody port charges for a port that everybody did not sign up for, and so NCL is not terribly motivated to go scramble and fit something else in.   Why not Gotheberg on Wednesday morning?

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

The least NCL could have done is cut and paste from RCI or HAL letter to impacted customers if they can't come up with their own letter. If they did this, none of us on the Aug. 16 Dawn sailing would have had to contact NCL or our TA's for the reason.

I still think NCL owes me the port taxes for Copenhagen that I paid in my ticket. Even if it is a small amount, it is dishonest of them to keep that money. I'll take OBC and buy a few cocktails with it to soothe my disappointment.

Did NCL say in the letter they were not going to reimburse the port fees or is this an assumption?

Port fees charged are a cumulative amount for the entire cruise.  Some ports charge more, some charge less.  Some raise their fees before you ever get there but the cruise lines do not come back and request the difference. What if they did substitute another port and their fees were higher?  Would you want to pay the difference?  I have had ports cancelled and changed, sometimes receiving a minuscule OBC that I didn't even notice....you wouldn't be buying one cocktail much less a few. There are disappointments in life and in the big picture this wouldn't rank very high on my list.

• Like 1