London to Southampton Transfers

BobAnne

I have been looking at both the LHR to Southampton and the Victoria Cross Station to Southampton transfers for an upcoming cruise. I will be in London for a few days prior to the cruise so returning all the way to Heathrow for the bus seemed a wee bit silly to me.

What are the pros and cons of either transfer? Is the Heathrow one more popular for any particular reason?

Thank you in advance.

We use London Heathrow Cars, which we prebook online.  Newer model Mercedes sedan for two passengers.  Driver waits with a sign showing your name.  No waiting or trying to locate your ride.  They monitor your flights to make sure they are there at the appropriate time.  The price is higher than the bus transfer, but well worth it for the comfort and privacy.

• Like 1

Princess coach transfer from Victoria Coach Station:

I have used this several times.

Taxi from London hotel-10 am

Check in with Princess rep.

Luggage taken & next time we saw it was at our cabin door

Comfortable coach ride —90 minutes approximately to ship

Booked through Princess personalizer from Transfer link

in my booking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Have used the princess transfer from victoria Coach station back in 2012, it's very simple when you arrive at the coach terminal there is a Princess representative, they take your luggage (and all others) in a different lorry.

then you wait for a coach that the princess representative tell you is the one, and it take you straight to the cruise terminal.

• Thanks 1

We went the really cheap route with National Express last month from Victoria Coach Station; the ride was smooth and uneventful, 99% of passengers on the 2/3rds full bus were cruise ship passengers going to either our ship or the other one in port that day, and the bus was clean and the AC worked so well, I got cold. I bought tickets about 10 weeks in advance and paid a whopping 21 GBP for 3 tickets. We then got a taxi from the Southampton coach station for the 7-minute ride to our ship. Paid 10 GBP for that, and only because I told the driver to keep the change.

When I told local British passengers about this, though, they all winced at the thought of taking National Express, lol. So I'm thinking that it's a very hit or miss thing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BobAnne said:

What are the pros and cons of either transfer? Is the Heathrow one more popular for any particular reason?

Thank you in advance.

Other than the location you get the bus, there is no pro or con. Those who want the Princess transfer and will be in London before the cruise will choose the Victoria Bus Terminal. Those who fly in the day of the cruise or who have stayed at a hotel near the airport will take the bus from the airport.

I suspect more people use the airport transfer because they are flying in the morning of the cruise, not because one bus is better than the other.

National Express are reliable and have a very comprehensive network. You can also get a train from Waterloo in just over an hour. It might be more convenient if you are staying around that area. Of course at the moment we have lots of train strikes and if you have a lot of luggage it isn't that easy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, john1970 said:

National Express are reliable and have a very comprehensive network. You can also get a train from Waterloo in just over an hour. It might be more convenient if you are staying around that area. Of course at the moment we have lots of train strikes and if you have a lot of luggage it isn't that easy.

I would take the train from Waterloo every time. Strikes notwithstanding. 

We have done both pre cruise to ship from London transfer from bus station, we walked to the station as we stayed on the other side of green park. Station is crazy busy but Princess had signage so easy enough. Post cruise took transfer from ship to station madhouse getting luggage we all know how that is their done with you after your cruise 😊. Always take private car TA arranged by TA from hotel to Heathrow, this works for us well. It has in the past haven't gone overseas since covid.

Although we have private car for other travel London to Southampton was 

7 hours ago, thehowlingroad said:

We went the really cheap route with National Express last month from Victoria Coach Station; the ride was smooth and uneventful, 99% of passengers on the 2/3rds full bus were cruise ship passengers going to either our ship or the other one in port that day, and the bus was clean and the AC worked so well, I got cold. I bought tickets about 10 weeks in advance and paid a whopping 21 GBP for 3 tickets. We then got a taxi from the Southampton coach station for the 7-minute ride to our ship. Paid 10 GBP for that, and only because I told the driver to keep the change.

When I told local British passengers about this, though, they all winced at the thought of taking National Express, lol. So I'm thinking that it's a very hit or miss thing.

We will try the bus also. Under 20 GBP for 2 with reserved seats. Private car was 200 GBP and the train first class was not that cheap and apparently you have to manage your own luggage according to reviews I read. We are leaving the day before- maybe same day I would have been more tempted to use private car.

• Like 1

Victoria Coach Station in London is very busy. Lots of seats, restrooms, coffee shop.  It was very organized with 3 Princess reps. To assist you. Not crazy any time I was there.

ship to lHR was easy too- luggage went with us on the Princess coach- we got of bus, took our luggage from coach, & yes the airport was very busy.

2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Although we have private car for other travel London to Southampton was 

We will try the bus also. Under 20 GBP for 2 with reserved seats. Private car was 200 GBP and the train first class was not that cheap and apparently you have to manage your own luggage according to reviews I read. We are leaving the day before- maybe same day I would have been more tempted to use private car.

I'm also doing the National Express bus.  I couldn't quite justify in my mind the cost of a private car and I'm getting in a few days ahead of embarkation, so a Princess transfer wasn't an option.  At least it's England...I can communicate with the locals!🍻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Are tickets for the National Express Bus purchased in advance?  Thx.  

yes, if you want them cheaper. Mine were about 7 GBP per person 10 weeks in advance, but I met others who said they paid anywhere from 30-50 GBP per person but booked a few days before departure.

• Thanks 1

I would book in advance as they do sell out. You book on the website. It will offer you different ticket types and you can pay extra for a seat assignment. They will just email you the details once paid for.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DCThunder said:

I'm also doing the National Express bus.  I couldn't quite justify in my mind the cost of a private car and I'm getting in a few days ahead of embarkation, so a Princess transfer wasn't an option.  At least it's England...I can communicate with the locals!🍻

We came in a couple days early and just went back to Terminal 3 cruise day to catch the Princess Shuttle. No problem at all. Once you purchase the transfer ( from Princess of course) ,they give you instructions on where to go to get the shuttle bus.  Let me know if that has changed as we leave next Aug from Southhampton and will again be flying in early. With the news of possible strikes at least you know you will be on a Princess bus and they will wait for you. Good luck.

27 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

We came in a couple days early and just went back to Terminal 3 cruise day to catch the Princess Shuttle. No problem at all. Once you purchase the transfer ( from Princess of course) ,they give you instructions on where to go to get the shuttle bus.  Let me know if that has changed as we leave next Aug from Southhampton and will again be flying in early. With the news of possible strikes at least you know you will be on a Princess bus and they will wait for you. Good luck.

As I'm transferring to Southampton when I arrive (not staying in London), there's no ability to go back to LHR to get a Princess transfer.

• Like 1

If going from London to Southampton on embarkment day, check out -

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

They only go on embarkment and disembarkment days from certain London hotels, LHR hotels with a stop at Stonehenge then dropped off at Southampton dock.

If staying in London post cruise, they pick you at the Southampton dock, stop at Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor then drop you off at the door of your London hotel, LHR hotel.

• Like 1

Used National Express both ways. London Victoria Coach Station to Southampton Coach Station and Southampton Coach Station to London Heathrow Terminal 2/3. Both was quite cheap around 17£ per person per ride (incl seat reservation) booked online 4 weeks ahead. 

Worked pretty well and was on scheduled time. Cannot say how reliable they are in general, but they were in our case.