Last minute price drop

babs135

DH is (very surprisingly) eyeing a Northern Lights cruise in October but, putting it bluntly, even at the very good price being quoted, he feels we can't justify it  - we have a cruise booked for  Christmas and New year.  Crystal balls out please and do you think that the price might drop further?

Crystal balls? It might.

Yet, for a couple of September cruises I have watched prices moved up and down a bit but so far never below the best prices available a couple of month ago.

Of course others might have gotten great last minute deals.

Edited by carlmm

3 hours ago, babs135 said:

DH is (very surprisingly) eyeing a Northern Lights cruise in October but, putting it bluntly, even at the very good price being quoted, he feels we can't justify it  - we have a cruise booked for  Christmas and New year.  Crystal balls out please and do you think that the price might drop further?

One should consider the availability of the required stateroom, rather than price.  This is a popular cruise so the choice is book a stateroom of choice, or wait, but the voyage may sell out.

Example.  Booked on opening Club QM Caribbean November 2023.  Paid about £4800.00, choice of stateroom.  Now £6500 and limited choice.

Here’s a thought.  Throughout the World, how many people are looking (with spreadsheets and notes) at this particular cruise, waiting for a price drop exactly like one?
Then consider the variables

Exactly when will it drop?

When one is asleep or doing other things?

Will a friend and family of employees get a tip off?

Take Canuker’s advice.

If it was left to me I'd have booked days ago but DH is much more cautious than I am.  We've already had one land based holiday and one cruise this year and have the Christmas and New Year cruise on the Queen Victoria drawing ever closer so we're not short of holidays.  However, with the cost of living rising he's become much more aware of what we are spending on a day to day basis and that is what is holding him back.  If it was just any cruise then I can find something definitely within a price range that would accommodate him, but he really fancies a northern lights cruise.  

Not sure which way this will end;  more than likely with nothing, but at least we have the one booked cruise to look forward to.

Babs135 - but when you are away on a cruise you are reducing your normal energy bills and the cost of food, petrol, etc.

I always reduce the house-keeing money I give to the wife in the months we are away on a cruise!

Edited by bbtablet
  • Haha 2

Yes you spend less on groceries and normal bills whilst away, and are not filling up the car's tank every week, but the cost of a cruise is way more than any saving you might make by being away - but that isn't the point. You are paying for the enjoyment (hopefully) of a fabulous holiday - and any small savings on normal expenditure are a nice 'little' bonus.

21 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Ha ha. (I think.)

Ha Ha is a much more civilised response than the possible  GBH I might have had in mind! 😄

Good job it was hopefully  a  tongue in cheek comment. 

Edited by Victoria2
Hopefully
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Babs135 - but when you are away on a cruise you are reducing your normal energy bills and the cost of food, petrol, etc.

I always reduce the house-keeing money I give to the wife in the months we are away on a cruise!

That's  a good idea but in reverse , as the  "chef" in our house and hence in charge of shopping, I can keep giving myself housekeeping  when I'm away and buy myself  a new sail whenever I get back from holiday.  I wonder if I can get away with that.

Having read your comments I had decided to tell DH that we should go ahead and book the cruise BUT our computer has just literally rolled over and died.  Our daughter is a software developer and is trying to get it back to a point where we can nurse it until Black Friday but it's not looking good.  Asking DH to fork out for a cruise at this present time may not be a good idea.

🤬🤬

22 hours ago, babs135 said:

If it was left to me I'd have booked days ago but DH is much more cautious than I am.  We've already had one land based holiday and one cruise this year and have the Christmas and New Year cruise on the Queen Victoria drawing ever closer so we're not short of holidays.  However, with the cost of living rising he's become much more aware of what we are spending on a day to day basis and that is what is holding him back.  If it was just any cruise then I can find something definitely within a price range that would accommodate him, but he really fancies a northern lights cruise.  

Not sure which way this will end;  more than likely with nothing, but at least we have the one booked cruise to look forward to.

At the risk of being sanctioned yet again for drifting 'off topic' I'd have thought that was all the more reason to book now and get what you want.

Cruises ain't going to get cheaper and our driving principle has always been to get done what we want to do, while we have both the money, the time and our heath to enjoy it.

That adds up to 5 cruises since last August and a Turkish land holiday and separate Celebrity cruise in the next 2 months. 

GO FOR IT while you can. 😉😉

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...