BYO wine - serving at dinner will a corking fee be charged ?

BarbieGee

Technically speaking, if you drink your own wine at a venue that sells wine, you would be charged a corkage fee for their loss of revenue. It doesn't matter whether you bring in your bottle, wine in a water bottle, or your own glass. As someone else said, it's not a service fee for serving your wine. It's a fee for you to bring your own wine bought cheaply as opposed to purchasing their wine. Some cruise lines, for example Norwegian, just charge corkage for bringing wine on the ship to avoid these "loopholes".

But in practical terms, if you bring wine in a Carnival glass in, there's no way for them to know whether you brought it or bought in a bar. I wouldn't feel badly about getting glasses from a bar, having a glass in my room, and carrying a glass in to dinner. I would feel more sleazy sneaking the bottle in some way, such as in a water bottle. I personally don't think you should put your server in the position where it's obvious you brought your own wine and are also trying to get out of paying corkage. 

Keep in mind that the corkage fee is not a gratuity. So the server isn't charging it to make money for themselves. It only makes money for Carnival. If they charge it they are doing it because they are trying to do their job and follow the rules. 

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

Of course they know. Even if you smuggle wine in a water bottle.

On one Princess cruise they would take our beverages from us, put on a server tray, and carry to the table for us. They knew.

😆🤣😂

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

Technically speaking, if you drink your own wine at a venue that sells wine, you would be charged a corkage fee for their loss of revenue. It doesn't matter whether you bring in your bottle, wine in a water bottle, or your own glass. As someone else said, it's not a service fee for serving your wine. It's a fee for you to bring your own wine bought cheaply as opposed to purchasing their wine. Some cruise lines, for example Norwegian, just charge corkage for bringing wine on the ship to avoid these "loopholes".

But in practical terms, if you bring wine in a Carnival glass in, there's no way for them to know whether you brought it or bought in a bar. I wouldn't feel badly about getting glasses from a bar, having a glass in my room, and carrying a glass in to dinner. I would feel more sleazy sneaking the bottle in some way, such as in a water bottle. I personally don't think you should put your server in the position where it's obvious you brought your own wine and are also trying to get out of paying corkage. 

Keep in mind that the corkage fee is not a gratuity. So the server isn't charging it to make money for themselves. It only makes money for Carnival. If they charge it they are doing it because they are trying to do their job and follow the rules. 

To be honesty, I do not mind paying the corkage fee. I've done it at restaurants where I had a very very special bottle of wine I wanted to serve at our table for a special occasion and I was happy to pay for that service. I may just 'fess up' upon arrival so there are no guilty feelings.

MebaneManorViognier.jpg

23 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

Never stayed in a Junior Suite, but in all of our Vista Suites, Ocean Suites, and Grand Suites, wine glasses and water goblets were already present in our room at check-in.  No matter your cabin type, yes, you can request wine glasses.

I always request wine glasses when I first meet the cabin attendant. Never have they brought wine glasses but always extra water glasses. I don’t know if it is not knowing the difference (highly unlikely), laziness, or their way of alerting other staff if you should take it from your room filled. I dislike having to ask at bars and carry them back or taking empty returning from the dining room. But I have never been asked about what I bring to the MDR. I also dislike that they only have one style of wine glass when you ask (except maybe in the upcharge dining which I have never felt worth it). 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

I always request wine glasses when I first meet the cabin attendant. Never have they brought wine glasses but always extra water glasses. I don’t know if it is not knowing the difference (highly unlikely), laziness, or their way of alerting other staff if you should take it from your room filled. I dislike having to ask at bars and carry them back or taking empty returning from the dining room. But I have never been asked about what I bring to the MDR. I also dislike that they only have one style of wine glass when you ask (except maybe in the upcharge dining which I have never felt worth it). 

We sailed in March and I requested champagne glasses.  He said he didn't know if he could get that for me but would try.  He ended up bringing me wine glasses. 

(while boarding the security officer tried to deny me taking on champagne, saying it was only wine allowed)

Edited by 1kaper
  • Haha 2

You can ask any room steward for a wine glass. I have never been told I couldn't have one. If I bring wine onboard with me I normally consume it in my stateroom. If I bring a special expensive bottle I carry a glass with me to the Dining Room. I have never been charged a corkage fee since my first cruise in May 1983. 

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 11:55 PM, woodey said:

im not a wine drinker but my DW is... she brings a glass with from the room thats full and not had a problem... she does not  drink more then a glass  normally during dinner.

I have done the same for years.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 8:06 AM, ShakyBeef said:

They do if the glass you are using is a water goblet from your cabin. 

PSA for any who care:  Unless this has changed recently, only Suites are supplied with wine glasses as well as water goblets upon embarkation.  Non-Suite cabins have only water goblets.  The glasses are very recognizably different.  Wine glasses can be requested from your Room Steward or from a bar.

I am not implying that anyone will stop you from bringing a water goblet full of wine into the MDR.  (I've seen people do it on every Carnival cruise I have been on and never seen anyone get stopped).  I'm just letting you know that if you do, you're not fooling any Carnival employee.  They know their own wine glasses from their water goblets. 😉

I can tell you we had a grand suite on the paradise in may of this year and we were only given water glasses. i just used those. 

26 minutes ago, adventuredancer said:

I can tell you we had a grand suite on the paradise in may of this year and we were only given water glasses. i just used those. 

Then maybe it has changed fleet-wide, or maybe it was an oversight made by your Room Steward, or maybe it's a ship-by-ship situation.  I can only speak from my experience and my witnessing others' experience (Youtube video tours of Suites, pics in other members' reviews, etc.) over several years and several ships.  My information may be outdated, as I noted with the first line of my 'PSA': "Unless this has changed recently..."

Full disclosure:  My last Carnival cruise was a B2B on Elation in a Grand Suite in January 2020.  We had the usual wine glasses and water goblets that we have always found upon entering all of our Suites on Embarkation Day over the years.  I've never sailed on Paradise.

• 5 months later...

Our cruise begins in 24 hours!!! And we have purchased 4 bottles of wine to bring on board with us. Let's see if we encounter any issues.

Anyone who has brought their own wine bottles into the MDR, how did it go for you?

Never had an issue with bringing our bottle or our wine glass full (which we have always had in our cabin no matter the type of cabin or ship) to MDR.  Including our last cruise in December on MG.  In 20 yrs plus of cruising never been charged a corkage fee on CCL or RCCL.  Just our experience.   

• Like 1

I just got off the Paradise this morning.

Each evening I poured myself a 'large' glass of wine while in my cabin, wine glasses provided by the cabin's steward, and walked to dinner. That glass of wine lasted me through dinner. (I was very generous with my wine pour!)

I decided not to test the wait staff with bringing my bottle with me.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2023 at 7:30 PM, RD64 said:

One glass of wine at dinner is considered an eye bath according to my Scottish friends. Suck it up, and buy a bottle to enjoy with dinner. You are on vacation after all.

I tried to buy a bottle of viognier and they were OUT! I tried to buy a bottle of Kendal Jackson Chardonnay and they were OUT!  🙄