QM2 late dining

FennoExpress

Hi folks and sorry if this has been discussed earlier in the forum, I just didn't find any recent posts on the matter.

I was shocked to read on another forum that the second sitting in QM2's Britannia dinner is still some kind of free-format affair where you get different table of varying size every night. And on top of this you don't even have the same waiting staff serving you. Is this currently still the case and has there been any talk of it changing back to assigned sitting? We prefer the later dining but if this is the case we need to change to earlier. We are only sailing in May next year but I am worried that if they introduced this practice during COVID time and it is still valid it might be here to stay.

If, and it’s a big if, late sitting is a freestyle mayhem, then have a private word with the Md’H to “Fix” one a table (may ask one to select) for a specific time each evening.  After all, the Md’H really does wish one to have the best dining experience.  A small gratuity is appreciated.

• Like 1

Hi!  I am booked for 68 days New York to Sydney departing January 3 2023.  If the second sitting is not returned to the traditional 8:30 with the same waiters, table and table mates I will cancel.   I am a usually a solo traveler and I believe most solo travelers feel the same. 

Deck Chair.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, deck chair said:

...  I am a usually a solo traveler and I believe most solo travelers feel the same. 

Deck Chair.

Ditto.  If I have different table mates every night it's a deal-killer for me.  This, and the potential for a reversion to more restrictive dining protocols, keeps me from booking.  I don't want to spend this kind of money and not be able to enjoy the same camaraderie of the past. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deck chair said:

Hi!  I am booked for 68 days New York to Sydney departing January 3 2023.  If the second sitting is not returned to the traditional 8:30 with the same waiters, table and table mates I will cancel.   I am a usually a solo traveler and I believe most solo travelers feel the same. 

Deck Chair.

1 hour ago, BlueRiband said:

Ditto.  If I have different table mates every night it's a deal-killer for me.  This, and the potential for a reversion to more restrictive dining protocols, keeps me from booking.  I don't want to spend this kind of money and not be able to enjoy the same camaraderie of the past. 

That's it. Traditional dinning with fellow passengers is an essential part of any cruise for me, too.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

I think it’s probably down to staffing levels, we were on the QE in April and late sitting freedom dinning was available and we loved it.

Yes we preferred the late sitting freedom dining on QE.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lindylooellalouise said:

we were on the QE in April and late sitting freedom dinning was available and we loved it.

Can you explain what late sitting freedom doing means? We are waitlisted for late seating on a November cruise on QE and would love it if we were able to dine flexibly but not sure if that is what you experienced in April? TIA

4 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Can you explain what late sitting freedom doing means? We are waitlisted for late seating on a November cruise on QE and would love it if we were able to dine flexibly but not sure if that is what you experienced in April? TIA

With traditional dining you have 

• A set dining time
  • at a specific table
  • with the same fellow passengers (depending on the size of the table)

More recently (I think since the COVID closure) QM2 (and QE?) has had traditional dining at the first sitting but open dining for second sitting. Come when you want during a window (7:45 to 9:00) (I think you can reserve a time?) and you'll be seated at an available table, normally with a different waiter team each night.

I've long been a first sitting fan but my new traveling partner reminded me of the shortcomings of first seating (rushing to get ready for dinner after a day ashore, missing sailaway parties since departure from Caribbean ports is often around 6:00 PM...) so we've reserved second seating for our Caribbean voyage in November. I'm fantasizing that we'll hit it off so well with our dining companions on the first night that we'll make arrangements to have a standing reservation (at the same table, even) for the rest of the trip and the shortcomings of open dining will have been avoided. I can dream, can't i?

11 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Hi we used to arrive at the Britannia restaurant at 7,45 each evening and we  requested the same table each evening which we were allocated  and were very happy with. The restaurant for second sitting was open from7,45 till 9pm and you could choose a different table and companions if you wanted.The ship was not sailing at full capacity so not sure if this arrangement will continue or revert back to the traditional two set sittings which we had last week on the QV.

Thanks for the explantations. I have a feeling that the QE in November will have the traditional early and late seating times. We are waitlisted for late seating and really hoping it clears as I can not imagine eating at 6.00pm. Our sweet spot is 7.00pm or 7.30 pm so a 7.45pm sitting sounds perfect. I wonder if it's still traditional late seating if we could enter at 7.45 (if we clear the waiting list)?

4 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Thanks for the explantations. I have a feeling that the QE in November will have the traditional early and late seating times. We are waitlisted for late seating and really hoping it clears as I can not imagine eating at 6.00pm. Our sweet spot is 7.00pm or 7.30 pm so a 7.45pm sitting sounds perfect. I wonder if it's still traditional late seating if we could enter at 7.45 (if we clear the waiting list)?

If late sitting is in place you would be expected to enter the dining room at the start of that sitting (it appears from a post above that that time is 8.30pm). At 7.45pm the early sitting would still be at their tables...

Having said that, I understand that in recent years there have been occasions where both sittings were earlier than their normal times when sailing in the Asia-Pacific region. I've only sailed in the Grills so I can't speak from personal experience but that's just going on what I've read here. If that were the case, late sitting might be perfect for you. People on this board suggest seeing the Maitre d' once you are on board to request a change of sitting so I wouldn't put much store in the 'wait list' before you board.