Holy markup @ candy in gift shop!

fstuff1

We always bring a bag of pretzels and some chocolate( and nuts).   I don't care HOW much I was craving a reeces, I'd slather some PB on one of those turn down chocolate squares before I spent 5 bucks on a PB cup. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Are you suggesting the investors page is incorrect?

https://www.rclinvestor.com/contact-us/faqs/shareholder-benefit/

No, I'm suggesting that on actual practice, once shipboard, they have no idea which $100 X provided as OBC is spent on what.  If you have $300 of non-refundable X OBC, it's all in one bucket.  This is the same as the question that was often once asked about OBC that X provides that are technically earmarked for shore excursions.  You can spend it as you please. 

We've left far more than $100 in OBC for additional gratuities.  Which $100?  No one cares.

The only separate folio buckets for OBC are refundable vs non-refundable.

The operative word is "fungible".  It's a function of X's shipboard accounting processes.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

No, I'm suggesting that on actual practice, once shipboard, they have no idea which $100 X provided as OBC is spent on what.  If you have $300 of non-refundable X OBC, it's all in one bucket.  This is the same as the question that was often once asked about OBC that X provides that are technically earmarked for shore excursions.  You can spend it as you please. 

We've left far more than $100 in OBC for additional gratuities.  Which $100?  No one cares.

The only separate folio buckets for OBC are refundable vs non-refundable.

The operative word is "fungible".  It's a function of X's shipboard accounting processes.

thank you. That 'fungible' accounting is different than RCL investors page indicates. On RCL, all obc goes into one pile but it is coded differently in the system. Non-refundable is used first. Refundable is used last, but all OBC is coded. Therefore, you could not use shareholder obc for gratuity. I'm surprised that Celebrity codes their OBC differently, but will default to your expertise since I've only sailed Celebrity a handful of times.

I pay a few thousand and even more for a cruise, then I stuff my suitcase / carry on with snacks because they cost a few bucks more than my local Dollar Store? Then instead of enjoying my vacation or talking about it, I gripe about snack prices?!?!

Got it. 

Notice the price of a glass of wine compared to 2 Buck Chuck’s (yes, I know); the price of a massage compared to local; the price of……

Somehow I’ll survive without the ‘snacks’ by dining the 8 or 9 times a day I can, and somehow survive a tour without eating my way through it.

Enough. By the way what the heck has Stock OBC got to do with snacks….except the OBC I’d get would cover two Snickers and 1 Butterfinger?

den 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I pay a few thousand and even more for a cruise, then I stuff my suitcase / carry on with snacks because they cost a few bucks more than my local Dollar Store? Then instead of enjoying my vacation or talking about it, I gripe about snack prices?!?!

This statement is not necessary or helpful.  Check out these boards, there is a lot of "griping" going on about NUMEROUS things.  I don't think its right to single out this topic and attack the OP. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, calicakes said:

This statement is not necessary or helpful.  Check out these boards, there is a lot of "griping" going on about NUMEROUS things.  I don't think its right to single out this topic and attack the OP. 

It wasn’t ‘aimed’ at the OP……just those that would take offense at an obvious observation. And I posted “cheeky’ comments on threads about the price of wine, why I dont win every time I use the Slots……..

den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Enough. By the way what the heck has Stock OBC got to do with snacks….except the OBC I’d get would cover two Snickers and 1 Butterfinger?

den 

A suggestion was made to use the $35 OBC that the OP had remaining and leave it as extra cash gratuity instead of buying snacks. A point was then made that there is some type of OBC which may not be left as gratuity (example shareholder obc), in which case the OP would have to purchase something for the crew instead. Conversations tend to evolve on CC 😉

• Like 2

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

……Conversations tend to evolve on CC 😉

Boy, do they! My one post got a few responses ‘body-checking me’….cool! Well, I dont really mean to hurt anyone’s feelings, but sometimes the subject does call out a ‘cheapshot’. 

Should have stuck with the movies/hotels/airlines references to snack costs. 

De

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I found some nice things on Apex for my Niece and Nephew...quality of the clothing seemed very nice.  

We always found nice things for kiddies on X ships( clothes, books etc ..except EDGE..."shops with attitude!"  Salesperson sniffed when we put down the over priced sweatshirts!  We are not cheapskates or bargain hunters but do not like to feel ripped off!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

But--- Maybe not as nice as a fruit cake or a fridge magnet from your hometown.

I'm bringing the crew poutine on our next cruise. Three days in the luggage before we get on the ship will allow the cheese curds and gravy time to mature just like a 2003 Margaux! 🥰🍷 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Note to self, stuff in the on board store is more expensive than your local Dollar Tree.  I wonder why?  😆

That said, just hit up guest services and tell them who you want to give your extra OBC to. 

never knew I could do that?!

THX!

On 8/19/2022 at 8:27 AM, Covepointcruiser said:

Candy is available where they serve ice cream for no additional cost.

OK, this ^^^ is a game-changer! I confess I never really miss candy when on a cruise because there is food everywhere, but this girl does enjoy a bit of chocolate sometimes. I have already used the "DIY milkshake" trick at the ice cream counter. Now I know I can just walk up and ask for a dish of toppings if the craving hits? Genius!

29 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

OK, this ^^^ is a game-changer! I confess I never really miss candy when on a cruise because there is food everywhere, but this girl does enjoy a bit of chocolate sometimes. I have already used the "DIY milkshake" trick at the ice cream counter. Now I know I can just walk up and ask for a dish of toppings if the craving hits? Genius!

Our family really enjoyed the ice cream bar; but we didn't abuse it.  Please don't take advantage of the offering. We would hate to see it removed if people used it to skirt spending a few bucks elsewhere 

4 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

never knew I could do that?!

THX!

If you go to Guest Relations and ask, they will provide a form to be used specifically for adding 'extra tips' from your shipboard account.  The form only provides general categories of crew, but you can "write in" specific information using names and employee numbers for those not covered in the standard "boxes".

45 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Our family really enjoyed the ice cream bar; but we didn't abuse it.  Please don't take advantage of the offering. We would hate to see it removed if people used it to skirt spending a few bucks elsewhere 

No one is abusing anything.  Rather than an ice cream some would prefer a few pieces of candy in a bowl. Took my first Celebrity cruise in 2009 and it was the practice then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

ice cream bar?

2 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

they scoop ice-cream in either a bowl or cone.

i've never seen an ice cream bar offered there?

They were referring to the service area as the ‘Ice Cream Bar’, not what is served. 

Den

47 minutes ago, Oville said:

No one is abusing anything.  Rather than an ice cream some would prefer a few pieces of candy in a bowl. Took my first Celebrity cruise in 2009 and it was the practice then.

It's 2022 now, not 2009.  Cruise lines are extremely cost conscious.  We have all witnessed when things get abused and bragged about on forums, suddenly they are removed or a "nominal fee" for "our convenience" suddenly appears.   It's meant for a little bit of ice cream topping, not for someone to get a bowl full of candy.  

• Thanks 1