Arvia fires

majortom10

9 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

For a laugh i looked up to see if there is a word Sprinklies and there is, it means 'when part of the body goes to sleep. like maybe a foot or leg. 😁

Obviously you have never been on that ship. Sprinklies are well known as the free ice creams you get from machines on the deck. They come in three flavours (separate or mixed ) and are famous with RC cruisers. They are very good, and popular.

10 hours ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

For a laugh i looked up to see if there is a word Sprinklies and there is, it means 'when part of the body goes to sleep. like maybe a foot or leg. 😁

Nah. That's pins and needles.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Sprinklies is the Posh word for Pins & Needles.🤣

P.S, Carlisle may not be part of Scotland now but how many times was it  in i't's history.?

Here's another piece of useless info about Carlisle you may not know, Carlisle Castle is supposedly the place the song Loch Lomond was written and the words in it 'you take the high road and i'll take the low road' are meant to represent the wives would come over the border to see there husbands when they were going to be hung which was at the far end of the walled city called England Gate  so by the time the wives took the high road back to Scotland the Husband would have been Hung and his spirit would be back in Scotland before she was.

32 minutes ago, Cpt Pugwash said:

Sprinklies is the Posh word for Pins & Needles.🤣

P.S, Carlisle may not be part of Scotland now but how many times was it  in i't's history.?

Here's another piece of useless info about Carlisle you may not know, Carlisle Castle is supposedly the place the song Loch Lomond was written and the words in it 'you take the high road and i'll take the low road' are meant to represent the wives would come over the border to see there husbands when they were going to be hung which was at the far end of the walled city called England Gate  so by the time the wives took the high road back to Scotland the Husband would have been Hung and his spirit would be back in Scotland before she was.

Nearly right. Not England Gate, but English Gate.

Another local story about Carlisle and Scotland is the Town Hall clock tower only has clock faces on three sides. The one missing is the one facing north 'because we don't want to give the Scots the time of day'. Don't care whether it's true or not it's a good story.

And Bonnie Prince Charlie spent the night in Marks & Spencer on his way south during his campaign to 'reclaim' the monarchy. Or, at least, the house he stayed in is in roughly the same spot that M&S occupies now,

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FangedRose said:

Nearly right. Not England Gate, but English Gate.

Another local story about Carlisle and Scotland is the Town Hall clock tower only has clock faces on three sides. The one missing is the one facing north 'because we don't want to give the Scots the time of day'. Don't care whether it's true or not it's a good story.

And Bonnie Prince Charlie spent the night in Marks & Spencer on his way south during his campaign to 'reclaim' the monarchy. Or, at least, the house he stayed in is in roughly the same spot that M&S occupies now,

Yeah was told that one by someone from Carlisle about the clock but didn't know if it was True or a wind up.

Use to visit Carlisle every week with my job so heard lot's of little facts about it from Customers.

P.S I don't think Prince Charlie would have spent the night in M&S i read he was more  of a Burton's Man.🤣

• Like 1

I always felt that the front of the Grand Class ships look like the shape of a toilet bowl. They even have the gap between the seat and the rim… Once you see it, you can’t un-see it! Fantastic place to watch the ship depart port though, if a little breezy… 

I agree that it really doesn’t matter what their image is as  long as you enjoy the experience on board ..

To stay mildly within topic… I was on the sister ship Iona’s second maiden season voyage to the Scottish isles,  and at roughly 3am  a message was transmitted into the cabins… A fire had been detected by a heat sensor in the incinerator room… I don’t know if that was supposed to be some kind of joke! 

13 hours ago, FangedRose said:

Talking of pins, did you know that in the U.S. split pins are called cotter pins, whereas in the U.K. a cotter pin is associated with fixing pedals to the cross axle on an old bike?

8 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Talking of pins, did you know that in the U.S. split pins are called cotter pins, whereas in the U.K. a cotter pin is associated with fixing pedals to the cross axle on an old bike?

Not much happening in Suffolk then...🤔😉😁

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Fitzplumbago said:

To stay mildly within topic… I was on the sister ship Iona’s second maiden season voyage to the Scottish isles,  and at roughly 3am  a message was transmitted into the cabins… A fire had been detected by a heat sensor in the incinerator room… I don’t know if that was supposed to be some kind of joke! 

Why would that be a joke? These things happen occasionally but often the automatic system have already dealt with before human intervention is required. Best the crew be alerted and check though, right?

As for the original post. In a ship build there is so much welding, small fires are not unusual, and dealt with swiftly. What appears different here is that there is a strong suspicion of arson.

3 hours ago, molecrochip said:

Why would that be a joke? These things happen occasionally but often the automatic system have already dealt with before human intervention is required. Best the crew be alerted and check though, right?

As for the original post. In a ship build there is so much welding, small fires are not unusual, and dealt with swiftly. What appears different here is that there is a strong suspicion of arson.

Yes the arson theory is a major factor but they said the 2 fires did 60000 Euros of damage that is not a small fire.

As Molecrochip has said, ship yard fires do happen.  Perhaps more frequently than most people think.    This happened on what was, at one time, the world's largest container ship, while she was being built.    Once rebuilt, I'm sure she was on a regular Southampton run at one point.

21 hours ago, molecrochip said:

My comment was made in jest, since I would expect fire to be detected in a so called incinerator room! 

Always best to be made aware of potential hazards, despite what time the announcements are made… Although I’m sure there would have been some moans and groans about it… 

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Fitzplumbago said:

Another minor Arvia fire reported a few days ago…

From  CruiseMapper…

P&O UK's newest cruise ship Arvia suffers minor fire at Meyer Werft's Papenburg yard 

I blame the energy crisis. I suspect they are just trying to keep warm without using Gas or Electric.

• Haha 3

Fires whilst under construction in the shipyard is not that rare. Diamond Princess caught fire while being built.  The fire was so bad they decided to use Sapphire Princess as Diamond because it was quicker to get the second ship completed before the first could be rebuilt due to the severity of the fire.

Regards John

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, john watson said:

Fires whilst under construction in the shipyard is not that rare. Diamond Princess caught fire while being built.  The fire was so bad they decided to use Sapphire Princess as Diamond because it was quicker to get the second ship completed before the first could be rebuilt due to the severity of the fire.

Regards John

We were on Sapphire in Australia/New Zealand a few years ago, and you couldn't spot any sign of the shipyard fire!!!😇

19 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

We were on Sapphire in Australia/New Zealand a few years ago, and you couldn't spot any sign of the shipyard fire!!!😇

They are good at covering things up.  Do you remember Queen Elizabeth catching fire in Hong Kong harbour? It was visible for ages as she only partially sunk and even shown on a James Bond film.  Eventually it was concealed by building the freight terminal over that part of the harbour as I understand it.

Regards John

• Haha 1