Urgent help needed! Scheduled to leave today...stuck at the tire shop 100 miles from port!

blueskadoo

45 minutes ago, complawyer said:

ok chiefmatejrk, here's one where we will differ.

it's not a matter of stupidity, some cars for the past few years do not offer a spare tire. you dont have a choice, and there isnt an option to purchase one.

this is mostly true, regardless of make, model, or price.

So, just buy a car that has a spare tire.  Easy.

22 minutes ago, blueskadoo said:

HE MADE IT! He is safely on board and in his cabin thanking his lucky stars that he is on board. He said it is off to get a cold drink and some chicken wings now. What a sweat! 

I love a happy ending.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

We are going to be shopping for a new car, and I think I'm now going to add to our list of needs a "full size spare". Spare do-nut tires are just crap so I'm glad they repaired his tire with a patch, which let him drive the speed limit. It likely would have taken just as long to install the stupid do-nut. Calling/finding an uber that could have taken him the 100 miles willingly would have been a huge feat that also would have taken a lot of time. He just really happened to find the right people that had compassion to help him and that's why he made it. 

This was crazy, and I'm so relieved it worked out, but now we'll set a drop dead leaving time of 9:00 when we're going to drive to port because for a 3 hour drive, the time and expense of going a day early isn't very feasible. Hopefully this was a sign from the universe he was supposed to get on this cruise. 

As an FYI, if anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation and finds this thread- call NCL (800 number) and let them know you're on the way. They can't hold the ship for you, but given how close he was to the printed final check-in time, they at least made a flag on his reservation that he was still coming.  They told him they lock the doors to the terminal at 5 so if you're close, don't stop keep going- you can pee when you're on the ship. If you're crushed for time, don't drop your bags with the porter- go to the check in counter first, and they will help you from there. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, blueskadoo said:

HE MADE IT! He is safely on board and in his cabin thanking his lucky stars that he is on board. He said it is off to get a cold drink and some chicken wings now. What a sweat! 

SO glad he made it! Have a wonderful cruise 🙂

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

rrraydon. to each his own, but maybe you should consider it to avoid situations like bluesskadoo has listed. it only takes 1 time for the drive to go wrong, to screw up your vacation. 

I’m not a sky is falling type person. 

I mean why not book a stay two weeks before a cruise that’s a two hour drive away and stay there just in case…… 🤷🏻‍♀️ 

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Do people understand the concept of a spare tire any more?  That's a serious question.

I used to own a 2011 Volvo S60.  Not a budget car.  One day, shortly after buying it, I hit a pothole on the NJ Turnpike, blowing out my tire.  Only then did I realize that the car didn't come with a spare.  No spare wheel well, just a tire repair kit which was obviously insufficient.  The dealer never told me and shame on me for just assuming but I never heard of such a thing.  After the fact, I bought a spare tire kit (which took up most of my trunk room.  I was displeased.)  I asked the question when I bought my present car and the dealer looked at me like I was nuts.

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I used to own a 2011 Volvo S60.  One day, shortly after buying it, I hit a pothole on the NJ Turnpike, blowing out my tire.  Only then did I realize that the car didn't come with a spare.  No spare wheel well, just a tire repair kit which was obviously insufficient.  The dealer never told me and shame on me for just assuming but I never heard of such a thing.  After the fact, I bought a spare tire kit (which took up most of my trunk room.  I was displeased.)  I asked the question when I bought my present car and the dealer looked at me like I was nuts.

Yep.  Let the buyer beware.  I would absolutely NEVER buy a car that didn't include a spare tire.  Some people do, and they get what they asked for....

Just now, ChiefMateJRK said:

Yep.  Let the buyer beware.  I would absolutely NEVER buy a car that didn't include a spare tire.  Some people do, and they get what they asked for....

When I called the local dealer near where I broke down, they told me they make their buyers sign a disclaimer if they pass on the spare tire.  Mine didn't even mention it as an option; I probably would have purchased a different car because I had to trade most of my trunk room to accommodate it. 

I'd never heard of a car that DIDN'T have a donut in the back so it didn't occur to me to ask.  I have since! 🙂

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

I used to own a 2011 Volvo S60.  Not a budget car.  One day, shortly after buying it, I hit a pothole on the NJ Turnpike, blowing out my tire.  Only then did I realize that the car didn't come with a spare.  No spare wheel well, just a tire repair kit which was obviously insufficient.  The dealer never told me and shame on me for just assuming but I never heard of such a thing.  After the fact, I bought a spare tire kit (which took up most of my trunk room.  I was displeased.)  I asked the question when I bought my present car and the dealer looked at me like I was nuts.

I actually almost bought a 2013 S60, ordered it but didn’t leave a deposit since we were a prior Volvo customer, did some more looking online and realized it did not have the spare tire (my older wife’s Volvo did have one), and cancelled the order, and got an Audi A6 instead. Used the spare tire at least 3 times during the life of that car!  Glad I did change.  

It doesn’t even have to be a full sized spare, donuts are fine, too. 

mmmm… donuts. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, complawyer said:

ok chiefmatejrk, here's one where we will differ.

it's not a matter of stupidity, some cars for the past few years do not offer a spare tire. you dont have a choice, and there isnt an option to purchase one.

this is mostly true, regardless of make, model, or price.

OK @complawyer, here's one that doesn't pass the laugh test.  "there isn't an option to purchase one."  Really?  I'll bet the tire shop he visited could sell him a spare.  Never heard of AɱǻȥȫȠ?  If you want a spare, there are endless sources and choices to choose from, including the car dealership.

17 minutes ago, psac said:

got an Audi A6 instead. Used the spare tire at least 3 times during the life of that car!  

Ironically, I'm in a Q5 now.  In fairness, it's a more expensive car than the Volvo but I enjoy it infinitely more.  And yeah, I've used the donut 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blueskadoo said:

and I think I'm now going to add to our list of needs a "full size spare".

Some trim levels of the Subaru Outback come with a full-size spare, and those that don't can fit one in place of the donut spare they come with.