Newark to Europe flights using BOGO air

LGinPA

2 hours ago, LGinPA said:

njkate, Thanks for the input. 🙂   I realize you canceled, but if you do remember I have 2 questions: 

Do you recall what time of day your arrival in Athens would have been? 

Also, what were the flights/connections on the return deviation, and time of day departure/arrival home? 

I’m sorry I honestly do not remember as it was over a year ago right when cruises first opened up and between the air connections and cruises still being cancelled left and right I just canceled myself before finsl

• Like 1

On 8/28/2022 at 9:57 AM, Sailing12Away said:

As for the flights - there's 2 different types of air packages that NCL offers. One is the free at sea, and there's another that's more flexible called Premium Air Service. For folks that want a little more control, the second option (although more expensive) may be the way to go.

I called an NCL air agent and with Premier you can't use BOGO air.  It's if you don't want to book the air yourself and you have NCL do it for you. So you are paying the same fare as if you booked it yourself. I don't see the point of it.  The agent said it's used by people who are not comfortable booking their own flights. 

On 8/28/2022 at 9:57 AM, Sailing12Away said:

For an international trip, I personally would never fly in the day of the cruise. Way too many moving parts between a red eye flight, time zone changes, jet lag, customs, etc. It's one thing to go EWR to Miami for a short 3 hour hop, but an 8hr flight overnight to a foreign country... nah. 

Hmmm.  

We're new to cruising, I admit.  However not new to European travel. We've planned, booked and experienced at least 6 European trips independently, in the past 12 years, all with re-eye flights from Newark (EWR) to a major hub: Madrid, Paris, Dublin, Venice, Rome, Reykjavik, Paris again 🙂

On every trip we flew major airlines, arrived either earlier than scheduled, and once we were 1 hour late. We made it to the hotel on time to check in and take a needed 2 hour jet lag nap, and proceeded to tour later that day. 

For our future cruise out of Rome, our flights to Rome would be on United, which has 2 non-stop flights each evening, arriving either at 7:45 AM or 11 AM on embarkation day.  We'd go with the earlier flight arriving at 7: 45 AM, just in case. 

I would expect to get the first NCL transfer to the port and need to wait to go through the process of getting on board. I anticipate being on board for lunch, and being in our cabin by 2 PM to take a 2 hour jet lag nap. Also, our first full day is at sea. Another day to get the internal clock set to local time. 

If anyone reads this and thinks that's unreasonable, please set me straight!  

Sure... but what happens if that red eye flight is cancelled? There's no other flights after that one...

Getting in late for a land trip is very different from getting in late when there's a deadline to catch a leaving ship that won't be waiting for you. You do you.

1 hour ago, mustymom said:

We had used NCL air for 8 different transatlantic cruises.  They have all be non stop from Newark to Italy, Spain, Denmark, and England.

Thank you. 

Will you please specify if you used NCL Free at Sea Buy One Get One free airfare program, or a similar program that cost you only half the price of two flights? 

2 hours ago, mustymom said:

We had used NCL air for 8 different transatlantic cruises.  They have all be non stop from Newark to Italy, Spain, Denmark, and England.

👍 That sounds good to me as we are using it to fly to London next summer from Newark.

I assume they were all non-stop on the way back also. (Our's will be from Reykjavik.)

6 minutes ago, mustymom said:

We've used the special on some flights and regular price  on others. Ncl used United, Swiss Air, American, and in three weeks British Air from Newark to Heathrow. (transatlantic on Prima)

Thank you.  Did you have any deviations?  

Iceland air is becoming more common as well.  From what I was told, Reykjavic is positioning themselves to be a major hub so may become a bigger player for flights to Europe.  Good for me since they fly from the west coast - and for me it's been the US-based flights that have the most connection/cancellation issues.

Consider also the airline/ cruise line partnerships.

United Airlines had been cross-promoting NCL by offering to book the cruise through United, thereby making United your travel agent of record.

Same way NCL is the travel agent when booking airfare on your behalf.

These reciprocal discount agreements likely include a minimum number of bookings, and offer larger discounts as volume increases, to motivate both partners to favor each other.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mustymom said:

We've used the special on some flights and regular price  on others. Ncl used United, Swiss Air, American, and in three weeks British Air from Newark to Heathrow. (transatlantic on Prima)

DW would be ecstatic if NCL uses British Air for our Prima cruise next year. Her late father was an executive with British Air.

I had asked our TA for British Air before he informed us that NCL chooses.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:55 PM, shof515 said:

LGA airport is not an international airport. There is only 2 international airports in the NYC area, that is EWR and JFK

not to pick nits, but this is - technically - not true.

there are daily flights out of LGA to canada, which makes it an international airport, although almost everybody forgets this and considers it a domestic airport. with recent renovations to several terminals, it now provides one of the more pleasant new york metro airport experiences.

and it is indeed possible to begin a journey to europe or asia out of LGA. i've done it several times. (of course, you have to fly first to another USA hub, or to canada.)

i'm not suggesting that NCL would book someone on such a circuitous journey, but it is possible, especially with the screwy way they try to maximize underutilized flights. (the flights to toronto out of LGA are short and efficient, by the way. and, depending on the day and time of departure, a first leg out of laguardia might actually make sense.)

One benefit of booking your own flights out of JFK or EWR to London is Daytime flights to London on United, British Airways and/or American.  I think pre pandemic Paris was also an option, but haven’t seen it since then.  

We took one earlier this month.  It was wonderful. 

Thank you for all your input.  

I want to continue to solicit replies from anyone who chose the discounted BOGO air fare package, and are flying from an mid-west or east coast hub airport offering non-stop to Europe like ATL, BOS, CLT, EWR, IAD, JFK, TOR, going to a European embarkation ports like Athens, Barcelona, Rome, etc.    

Please let me know if you were booked by NCL on a non-stop flight in either direction?  If not, what were your connections?  If you had deviations on either end please specify. 

Thank you. 🙂

4 hours ago, LGinPA said:

Thank you for all your input.  

I want to continue to solicit replies from anyone who chose the discounted BOGO air fare package, and are flying from an mid-west or east coast hub airport offering non-stop to Europe like ATL, BOS, CLT, EWR, IAD, JFK, TOR, going to a European embarkation ports like Athens, Barcelona, Rome, etc.    

Please let me know if you were booked by NCL on a non-stop flight in either direction?  If not, what were your connections?  If you had deviations on either end please specify. 

Thank you. 🙂

We flew non stop from JFK to Athens with BOGO and had luggage with seat selection included.

3 hours ago, tony s said:

We flew non stop from JFK to Athens with BOGO and had luggage with seat selection included.

We flew Baltimore - JFK - Barcelona and arrived in Barcelona before 7 am.  We did fly a day early.

Coming home it was Barcelona - ATL - Baltimore

On 8/23/2022 at 5:55 PM, shof515 said:

LGA airport is not an international airport. There is only 2 international airports in the NYC area, that is EWR and JFK

LGA does have international flights to Canada.   

On 8/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, UKstages said:

not to pick nits, but this is - technically - not true.

there are daily flights out of LGA to canada, which makes it an international airport, although almost everybody forgets this and considers it a domestic airport. with recent renovations to several terminals, it now provides one of the more pleasant new york metro airport experiences.

and it is indeed possible to begin a journey to europe or asia out of LGA. i've done it several times. (of course, you have to fly first to another USA hub, or to canada.)

i'm not suggesting that NCL would book someone on such a circuitous journey, but it is possible, especially with the screwy way they try to maximize underutilized flights. (the flights to toronto out of LGA are short and efficient, by the way. and, depending on the day and time of departure, a first leg out of laguardia might actually make sense.)

I have been on the Air Canada flight between LaGuardia and Toronto a few time.   You would be surprised there are lots of people connecting through Toronto to Europe, Brazil or Asia.  I would assume there are better non-stop options but apparently people do the connection fairly regularly.

19 hours ago, tony s said:

Wow, that's great!  I'm keeping a spreadsheet so I'll add your experience under non-stop. Thanks! 

Did you have any deviations?

16 hours ago, mskaufman said:

We flew Baltimore - JFK - Barcelona and arrived in Barcelona before 7 am.  We did fly a day early.

Coming home it was Barcelona - ATL - Baltimore

Thanks!  This is still helpful even though there are no direct flights from BWI to BAR, you'd be expecting 1 connection and that's what NCL gave you.  I know you didn't mention it, but I'll assume you used the BOGO air fare.  

Bumping this in case there's anyone new who chose the discounted BOGO air fare package and received their flights and..

are flying from a mid-west or east coast hub airport offering non-stop to Europe like ATL, BOS, CLT, EWR, IAD, JFK, TOR, going to a European embarkation port like Athens, Barcelona, Rome, etc.    

Thank you. 🙂