New terminal in Galveston Texas - Progress

bgoff60

15 hours ago, Jingerwoppy said:

Prices are WAY too high!!

image.png

Wow, yeah.. .we just paid, I think, 105?  for 5-day inside parking in Galveston, with shuttle.  Seemed pretty secure - this big warehouse reserved just for your sailing, so they know darned well nobody should be coming in or out of that building until disembarkation day.  

On 10/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, CruiseMomTX said:

We are booked on the Allure Nov 27th also haven't cruised since 2020 and are excited!  I forgot there will be a new terminal so just now trying to figure out what our parking options are, etc..  We normally park at EZ Cruise Parking.  If anyone has different or new parking information I would appreciate it!  

We use EZ Cruise Parking also.  We're on the week prior to your cruise.  I spoke with them and they will shuttle us to the new terminal just like they have done in the past.Not knowing how busy parking would be at the terminal, we decided to do our usual.  

We've actually driven to the new terminal for a look see after our last Liberty cruise in September.  Probably about a mile down Harborside.   Looking forward to the new terminal!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2022 at 11:27 AM, ssb said:

November 9 2022 first cruise 

Termial 3 10.jpg

So Allure will enter Galveston on that morning ? Would like to catch on webcam(s). Will they put horns on her like Voyager 🙂

Looking forward to Dec 4 cruise after Dickens :))

On 10/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, denamo said:

Not knowing how busy parking would be at the terminal, we decided to do our usual.  

Exact same for us.  Plus, since we booked very close to departure, we didn't get an early boarding time like we are used to.  I guess we shall see how it goes - will pack extra patience for embarkation day as usual! 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2022 at 7:36 PM, denamo said:

We use EZ Cruise Parking also.  We're on the week prior to your cruise.  I spoke with them and they will shuttle us to the new terminal just like they have done in the past.Not knowing how busy parking would be at the terminal, we decided to do our usual.  

We've actually driven to the new terminal for a look see after our last Liberty cruise in September.  Probably about a mile down Harborside.   Looking forward to the new terminal!

Is EZ parking adding on extra for parking and transport to new terminal? 

I know it us still less than parking at the new terminal but just wondering uf all the parking locations are doing this? I presume Galveston is still charging a fee for shuttles, ubers etc to drop off at the new terminal? How do they know if private vehicles are just dropping off passengers before parking?

5 hours ago, trippintex said:

Adventure of the sea is coming to galveston nov. 10 and sailing on 4 or 5 days. Question is what terminal

will we be going to when we come in from the 14 bay repo cruise?

According to the port  schedule  looks like the old terminal. Looks like the next sailing leaves from there and returns to the new one.

On 10/24/2022 at 10:42 AM, c-leg5 said:

Is EZ parking adding on extra for parking and transport to new terminal? 

I know it us still less than parking at the new terminal but just wondering uf all the parking locations are doing this? I presume Galveston is still charging a fee for shuttles, ubers etc to drop off at the new terminal? How do they know if private vehicles are just dropping off passengers before parking?

Would probably need to contact the parking area considering using to find out if they will be charging extra to shuttle. I know the price is a bit more for EZ Cruise parking than previously.  I expected that since they will need to shuttle us about a mile more one way.

Not sure what the process will be for private vehicles dropping off cruisers.

19 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Try a port of Galveston parking code GRANDOPENING22 for $20 off.  Not sure how long the promo lasts. This is the parking right at the new terminal. 

Thanks for listing the code cruiselvr04. Used it yesterday and it still works. Brought the price down to within $5 of EZ Cruise who I normally use, but this way no shuttles, just walk to/from terminal to car.

Edited by Cruise4Jesus
accidently sent

I used this code and have a couple of hints. If it says the code is invalid or expired on the price page, you entered it incorrectly. Make sure there isn't a space at the end. When it works, it just goes to the price page. What was not obvious was that the prices listed were still the original price. Once you picked one, then it shows you the price with the discount. Another tip is that if you join the loyalty program, it gives you 50 points which is another $5 off. So in my case, the final price was $141 so that was a lot better than the $168 it originally listed for the North lot.  Still not cheap, but comparable to a couple of others I checked.

On 10/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, CruiseMomTX said:

We are booked on the Allure Nov 27th also haven't cruised since 2020 and are excited!  I forgot there will be a new terminal so just now trying to figure out what our parking options are, etc..  We normally park at EZ Cruise Parking.  If anyone has different or new parking information I would appreciate it!  

we usually park there too.  It's a mile and half from there so we booked a hotel with a shuttle

As it grows and puts more emphasis on building a more sustainable port, the Port of Galveston has been busy developing several initiatives to lessen the environmental impact on the surrounding areas. 

The port announced on November 7 it had agreed with several cruise lines and other stakeholders to build up shore power capabilities in the port through a non-binding memorandum of understanding. The companies involved include Carnival Corporation, CenterPoint Energy, Royal Caribbean Group, Shell, and Texas A&M University at Galveston.

Shore Power Coming to Port of Galveston

Carnival Corporation, Royal Caribbean Group, CenterPoint Energy, Shell, and Texas A&M University will work with the Port of Galveston to develop shore-power capabilities at the port. The plans align closely with the initiatives of the cruise companies and the port to achieve net-zero carbon operations by 2050

Shore power enables cruise ships to connect to onshore electrical sources for onboard power instead of using auxiliary diesel-powered engines, which produce emissions. This provides significant savings to the cruise companies, as well as a much smaller impact on the environment. It will also eliminate the black smoke often associated with cruise ships in port.

The memorandum of understanding is the first step for the various companies involved and outlines the intention to develop a project timeline, cost estimates, and proposed agreements. When the project will be completed is not clear at this point.

Rodger Rees, Galveston Wharves port director and CEO: “As a Green Marine-certified port, we recognize shore power as an opportunity to improve air quality and reduce greenhouse gases associated with maritime activities.”

“This project working group is our dream team. It’s a winning combination with energy infrastructure expertise from Shell and CenterPoint Energy, the experience of major cruise lines Royal Caribbean and Carnival, and the educational and research resources of Texas A&M-Galveston.”

The possibility of using shore power is an integral part of the plans for the cruise industry to reach a net-zero carbon offset by 2050 and its environmental goals by 2030. Royal Caribbean is opening its brand-new cruise terminal in Galveston on November 9, the first cruise terminal worldwide to generate 100% of its energy needs through solar power. 

The terminal has already been outfitted for Allure of the Seas to use shore power when it does become available. The Oasis-class Allure of the Seas will be the largest cruise ship to homeport in Galveston, making shore power an important goal:

“We are in lock-step with Galveston Wharves’ vision for sustainable cruising,” said Jason Liberty, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean Group. “Our Galveston cruise terminal is built with sustainability top-of-mind and will operate using 100-percent renewable, onsite energy. This step toward shore power at the Port of Galveston extends our efforts and our collective goal of a clean energy future.”

Port of Galveston and Cruise Lines Sign Agreement on Shore Power (cruisehive.com)

Parking availability is going to be pretty important considering that more than 30 million people live within a 300-mile radius, making Galveston a prime drive-to market for the central U.S. Also, more than 1 million passengers are expected to board in Galveston this year, making it the fourth most popular homeport in the country.

On 11/8/2022 at 3:21 PM, footzz said:

Also, more than 1 million passengers are expected to board in Galveston this year, making it the fourth most popular homeport in the country.

It's certainly being promoted by travel agents even here in the UK. We are sailing from Galveston in 2024 on the recommendation of a TA selling the new port, Harmony and some different ports (for us) in Mexico and Honduras.

Been to New York, Chicago, Florida, San Francisco and Vegas a good few times but never been to Texas and really looking forward to visiting and sailing with Texans.

12 minutes ago, cruizinmimi said:

You will be arriving at the new terminal

Unless there has been a change that hasn’t been noted the port schedule says old for Nov 10th returning to new.

From the planner above, first Adventure sailing is Nov 14.

Edited by c-leg5