Drinks

azgrandmax3

16 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I believe the rules allow passengers to carry on cans but not plastic bottles -- too easy to refill the plastic bottles with alcoholic beverages, cutting down on the ship's profit center of booze!

Basic reason is getting rid the of plastic waste. Princess changed their rules after an environmental court decision forced the issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skynight said:

Basic reason is getting rid the of plastic waste. Princess changed their rules after an environmental court decision forced the issue. 

Skynight, doesn't Princess still sell to passengers water in those same plastic bottles?  I know Celebrity had switched from plastic bottles.

6 hours ago, antsp said:

Bring them on, no body at security cares

Bad and irresponsible advice, unless you are familiar with security at every port everywhere. Especially since you won't be the one having to dispose of the bottles if they are enforcing the policy,

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Bad and irresponsible advice, unless you are familiar with security at every port everywhere. Especially since you won't be the one having to dispose of the bottles if they are enforcing the policy

Get a grip, its a bottle of soda, I'll send them the $2 if they loose out

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Skynight, doesn't Princess still sell to passengers water in those same plastic bottles?  I know Celebrity had switched from plastic bottles.

Yes they do. But believe that the move to restrict, or at least intend to restrict, carry on single use plastic bottles was made as a small part of ordered compliance to environmental judgement against Princess.

52 minutes ago, skynight said:

Yes they do. But believe that the move to restrict, or at least intend to restrict, carry on single use plastic bottles was made as a small part of ordered compliance to environmental judgement against Princess.

Yes, Princess has had more than its share of adverse judicial decisions for its blatant non-compliance with environmental issues (consent decrees and judgments, if I remember correctly).  I would support the cruise line going to those waxed paper bottles (like the manufacturers still use for milk and OJ cartons) or aluminum bottles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Yes, Princess has had more than its share of adverse judicial decisions for its blatant non-compliance with environmental issues (consent decrees and judgments, if I remember correctly).  I would support the cruise line going to those waxed paper bottles (like the manufacturers still use for milk and OJ cartons) or aluminum bottles.

I had about 40 bottles of water last cruise via Princess plus, all plastic 

7 hours ago, SiliconCruiser said:

I can't believe the nonsense from the naysayers that I see here.  I generally bring two 375ml plastic bottles of liquid on each cruise.  On my last cruise I had to bring back the remnants of a 750 ml plastic bottle that I had picked up in one of the port calls ...

What is being mentioned is that Princess' posted position is no plastic bottles, and that position is at least in part the result of legal action by the courts. It's obvious that Princess is not enforcing its plastic beverage bottle rules. Also obvious is that Princess is using their own plastic bottles, lots of them. Will Princess change its enforcement, its rules, or its own behavior in the future?  Will they be back in court again on this and maybe other issues? No one knows.  

It is correct that Princess says - plastic bottles are not approved, but in four separate occasions in Ft Lauderdale this year I boarded with 6 one liter bottles in my suitcases and not a word was said. On one boarding I had only a suitcase with the bottles - nothing else.

Security is not interested in plastic bottles. Princess only concern is that people might smuggle on liquor in them. Hence, the water in cans if you can find it. 

I agree with @skynight I think it's less worry about bringing booze aboard and more concern about the cost of needing to recycle the bottles that are brought on.  The Justice Department went after them a second time because Princess wasn't following up with the recyclers to ensure the recyclers were properly recycling the plastics.  If Princess can control how much plastics they take aboard, then they can adequately budget the costs of recycling the plastics.  It's probably a side benefit that it makes it more difficult for booze smugglers.  

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I agree with @skynight I think it's less worry about bringing booze aboard and more concern about the cost of needing to recycle the bottles that are brought on.  The Justice Department went after them a second time because Princess wasn't following up with the recyclers to ensure the recyclers were properly recycling the plastics.  If Princess can control how much plastics they take aboard, then they can adequately budget the costs of recycling the plastics.  It's probably a side benefit that it makes it more difficult for booze smugglers.  

Considering the amount of plastic bottles I've seen being used on the ships what's a few more bottles that will be carried on in passengers luggage?

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

booze smuggling pretty much not needed anymore with the PLUS package ... or so I've been told 🤑

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

booze smuggling pretty much not needed anymore with the PLUS package ... or so I've been told 🤑

Especially now that the drink package covers drinks delivered to your stateroom.  Before that, it was pretty costly for a very small bottle of liquor for consumption in the stateroom.

• Like 2