When did Pinnacle Grill start charging for appetizer?

TotallyCruzin

We just ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the Westerdam last night and are now charged $7 for any additional appetizer.  If you order lobster bisque, crab cakes and a Caesar salad you'll pay and additional $14. Ps... Also getting tired of all the up selling. Lobster for $20, prime ribeye $20 add a 5 oz lobster tail for $15.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TotallyCruzin said:

We just ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the Westerdam last night and are now charged $7 for any additional appetizer.  If you order lobster bisque, crab cakes and a Caesar salad you'll pay and additional $14. Ps... Also getting tired of all the up selling. Lobster for $20, prime ribeye $20 add a 5 oz lobster tail for $15.

Yikes!

The upcharges are getting downright stupid.

I don't particularly mind them when a premium experience is delivered... but our Pinnacle dinner experience last week on Eurodam was really terrible. We paid upcharges for caviar and the Delmonico steaks... the former was the most bizarre/clumsy caviar presentation we've ever seen, and the latter was atrocious quality for having paid extra (tell-tale signs of freezer burn).

Every restaurant has its off nights, but for having paid the upcharge for the restaurant plus upcharges for premium items, our expectations were higher.

Even the included items in Pinnacle were lousy compared to our prior experiences. Lobster bisque had zero lobster flavor, and I left my baked Alaska uneaten... whoever made the merengue didn't warm it enough so that the sugar dissolved... it was totally grainy to bite into, and even looked like a melting mess on the plate. Now... I've only eaten at the Pinnacle Grill on ships 4 times... and I could tell something was wrong with the Baked Alaska from across the room. How anyone working there could let it leave the kitchen is beyond me.

Not sure what's going on there, but adding an additional charges isn't the answer.

• Like 5

Were you advised ahead of time of additional up charge?  If I was blindsided by this I’d be upset.  

The Pinnacle isn’t the same quality of dining as it used to be. I hope this was an error and not the normal.  Even with our discount I’m not sure I could convince Mr Bear to dine there any longer.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TotallyCruzin said:

I don't understand.  Two people, three appetizers?  Can't each person can have one appetizer with no extra charge.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Were you advised ahead of time of additional up charge?  If I was blindsided by this I’d be upset.  

The Pinnacle isn’t the same quality of dining as it used to be. I hope this was an error and not the normal.  Even with our discount I’m not sure I could convince Mr Bear to dine there any longer.

Someone has posted ALL the menus online (will post the link if I find), and those upcharges--now everywhere, yikes--are at least listed on the menus. But yeah, outrageous. Why even eat there if you are literally paying more than double for their standard dishes (specialty restaurant plus upcharge)? We get breakfast in the PG, and a free dinner there courtesy of our TA, but would no longer eat there otherwise.

Last time, they could not do a medium rare delmonico/ribeye to save their lives; brought it out TWICE overcooked. They should be able to prepare the entire range of steakhouse levels: cold red center, warm red center, and so on. At least they comped us a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, lol.

The one thing we liked about it was the special dinners from time to time: Le Cirque back in the day, De Librije... (BTW, the lovely orange Le Cirque plates are now being used in Club Orange! Very nice recycling.)

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

(snipped repost)

I guess they are trying to recoup their losses from the pandemic shutdown. But this ain't the way.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Someone has posted ALL the menus online (will post the link if I find), and those upcharges--now everywhere, yikes--are at least listed on the menus. But yeah, outrageous. Why even eat there if you are literally paying more than double for their standard dishes (specialty restaurant plus upcharge)? We get breakfast in the PG, and a free dinner there courtesy of our TA, but would no longer eat there otherwise.

Last time, they could not do a medium rare delmonico/ribeye to save their lives; brought it out TWICE overcooked. They should be able to prepare the entire range of steakhouse levels: cold red center, warm red center, and so on. At least they comped us a bottle of Veuve Cliquot, lol.

The one thing we liked about it was the special dinners from time to time: Le Cirque back in the day, De Librije... (BTW, the lovely orange Le Cirque plates are now being used in Club Orange! Very nice recycling.)

I guess they are trying to recoup their losses from the pandemic shutdown. But this ain't the way.

I haven’t seen the updated menus showing the up charge-would be great if you found it, thank you for looking. 

I agree, this isn’t the way to recoup their losses.  The specialty restaurants have to be special, not mediocre.  

• Like 3

We are currently on the Zuiderdam and were in the Pinnacle last night.  Everything was excellent.  We paid for three up charge items at our table of 7.  A Delmonico, Caviar and lobster Mac & Cheese.  I’m not a caviar expert so won’t judge that but the other two items were excellent.  However, last November on Nieuw Statendam the Delmonico and the lobster Mac were awful.  Wasn’t sure we’d go back, but they redeemed themselves last night.  I can’t believe how different the the two Mac and cheeses tasted.  Our experiences show how there can be big differences between ships.  We loved Rudi’s on that Nieuw Statendam trip but were much less impressed a couple months later on the Koningsdam.  One question…does anyone know if mariners discounts apply to up charge items in  the pinnacle or just the cover?

Mariners' discounts on specialty restaurants: yes, but discount depends on Mariner level. 3-star, 25%, 4 and 5-star, 50%.

"Does not apply to already discounted dining packages, De Librije, Cellar Master’s Dinner, Aficionado Dinner, Rijsttafel, Nami Sushi, Pinnacle Gala dinner, all theme dinners (Valentine’s Day, New Year’s Eve, etc.) and all "Pop-Up" restaurants."

Find the grid on the HAL site under Mariner FAQs.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Mariners' discounts on specialty restaurants: yes, but discount depends on Mariner level. 3-star, 25%, 4 and 5-star, 50%.

"Does not apply to already discounted dining packages, De Librije, Cellar Master’s Dinner, Aficionado Dinner, Rijsttafel, Nami Sushi, Pinnacle Gala dinner, all theme dinners (Valentine’s Day, New Year’s Eve, etc.) and all "Pop-Up" restaurants."

Find the grid on the HAL site under Mariner FAQs.

I understand the mariner’s discount on the surcharge…I received my 50% discount, but I “assumed” the discount would also apply to upcharges, but I was charged the full amount for those items.  Was just wondering if anyone knew for sure about upcharge items.

1 minute ago, mrspeck said:

I understand the mariner’s discount on the surcharge…I received my 50% discount, but I “assumed” the discount would also apply to upcharges, but I was charged the full amount for those items.  Was just wondering if anyone knew for sure about upcharge items.

Aw man! Cheaters. I hate this, but thanks for letting us know.

Guess I'm in the minority here.  Things change.  We should be so very aware of that these days.

I have no problem with people paying "extra" when they get extras.

FTR, my Pinnacle dinners on NA and the first leg of my Zuidy B2B were excellent.  The first on Zuidy was a really good steak.  The second was a rather sad, small, overcooked lobster tail.  Supply chain issues.  With the price of lobster these days, I'm mildly surprised you can get it anywhere without a steep upcharge.

I can't even make room for dessert (took a cheese plate to go), let alone eat multiples of anything.  But that's me.

I did get my Mariner discount on Rudi's on Zuidy, which surprised me, since it's considered a pop up on that ship.

• Like 2

I was on the Eurodam in June 2022 for 14 days. Dined at PG four times and every meal was excellent. As reported in a prior review of the cruise, there were two couples dining behind us one night. Both gentlemen ordered lobster bisque, shrimp cocktail, the 36 oz Tomahawk Steak and the lobster tail supplement on top of the steak. Imagine what that costs.

When we finished our dinner I walked passed there table and said, “I heard this strange noise behind me a few minutes ago and asked the Misses what was going on for which she replied, The waiter was bringing there entrees to their table on a forklift.” 😀

• Haha 4

I'm also opposed to upcharges, but it's what we get as consumers where we choose based on price above all else.  When many people are booking cruises, I guess they search 7-day Caribbean itineraries (or whatever) and just pick whoever's the cheapest.

I'd rather HAL increase the fares a scooch and continue to deliver a non-nickel-and-dimed experience, but I don't choose based solely on base fare.  Sadly HAL may no longer have the brand cache needed to convince people they're worth more than other lines; moving to constant upcharges, though, runs the risk of diminishing the brand even further.

• Like 10

36 minutes ago, lstrong said:

I don’t see any limitations on appetizers in the pinnacle grill menu. I used to order two or three appetizers and no entree 

Same. Just checked my Navigator app and no mention whatsoever of limitations on appetizers. $15 for an additional entree is there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrspeck said:

There used to be.  When I was on the Koningsdam in March and was told that no longer applied. That said, others reported to still getting the discount.  I emailed the mariners society about 2 months ago and so far crickets are chirping.