Live Reports - Cruising on Coral Princess September 2022.

Yes, Pacific Adventure passed by on our port side approx 9pm.  I happened to go out on promenade deck to enjoy the beautiful mild night and there she was all lit up like a Christmas Tree. Sorry, no pics because I was too busy trying to search Marine Traffic to find out what ship I was viewing. Her shopping trolley handle was not obvious to my not very good eyes.

There were very few passengers out on the promenade deck at the time.  The captain was making an announcement asking for passengers with blood donor cards and O negative blood to consider volunteering to give some blood to an unwell passenger who needed some urgently. Apparently they had about 100 volunteers.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Yes, Pacific Adventure passed by on our port side approx 9pm.  I happened to go out on promenade deck to enjoy the beautiful mild night and there she was all lit up like a Christmas Tree. Sorry, no pics because I was too busy trying to search Marine Traffic to find out what ship I was viewing. Her shopping trolley handle was not obvious to my not very good eyes.

There were very few passengers out on the promenade deck at the time.  The captain was making an announcement asking for passengers with blood donor cards and O negative blood to consider volunteering to give some blood to an unwell passenger who needed some urgently. Apparently they had about 100 volunteers.

Good news re the blood donations. 

If nothing else, you are among the first cruisers in Australia to see Pacific Adventure.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

That’s awesome re blood donations ❤️

• Like 1

Today we're in Cairns and having a relaxing day, just catching up with a friend for lunch.

We had a full-on day yesterday at Airlie Beach. We did the Whitehaven Beach excursion which was great fun. Exhilarating rides there and back, glimpses of a couple of whales, and I think we saw most of the Whitsunday Islands as we whizzed by. 

Whitehaven beach is beautiful, super-fine white sand lapped by turquoise waters. It was also a very popular beach with dozens of boats, plus a helicopter and a seaplane, all visiting it for the day. 

We had a quick swim - the water was a bit on the cool side for me to stay in too long. The tour company provided a very nice boxed lunch which we enjoyed sitting on the beach.

The only downside was during the last third of the trip there when one guy who had been sitting on the inflatable side decided he'd had enough of that and jammed himself on to the end of the side seat we were on. His friends moved up to let him on to the seat, so everyone else had to scrunch up. Unfortunately I was at the other end with nowhere to move to so ended up sitting in a very uncomfortable position until we reached the beach. My back felt a bit wonky last night but seems to be OK today.

That's our RIB behind the seaplane.

20220907_115409.thumb.jpg.177cffc3f23f18a172c6f46918d1f63e.jpg

Looking right along the beach.

20220907_115240.thumb.jpg.5ed8bfa58a947b59a4d3d05e8c823181.jpg

• Like 9

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Today we're in Cairns and having a relaxing day, just catching up with a friend for lunch.

We had a full-on day yesterday at Airlie Beach. We did the Whitehaven Beach excursion which was great fun. Exhilarating rides there and back, glimpses of a couple of whales, and I think we saw most of the Whitsunday Islands as we whizzed by. 

Whitehaven beach is beautiful, super-fine white sand lapped by turquoise waters. It was also a very popular beach with dozens of boats, plus a helicopter and a seaplane, all visiting it for the day. 

We had a quick swim - the water was a bit on the cool side for me to stay in too long. The tour company provided a very nice boxed lunch which we enjoyed sitting on the beach.

The only downside was during the last third of the trip there when one guy who had been sitting on the inflatable side decided he'd had enough of that and jammed himself on to the end of the side seat we were on. His friends moved up to let him on to the seat, so everyone else had to scrunch up. Unfortunately I was at the other end with nowhere to move to so ended up sitting in a very uncomfortable position until we reached the beach. My back felt a bit wonky last night but seems to be OK today.

It looks lovely. Did you do a ship tour or private?

Edited by Cbtours

3 hours ago, Cbtours said:

It looks lovely. Did you do a ship tour or private?

We did the ship tour. I was too lazy to try to sort out a private tour but from what the guy on our boat said their private tours leave earlier and get back later than the Princess tour, so not an option. We had to get back to the marina before 3pm as that was the last tender time.

• Like 1

Today we're in Cairns where it is lovely and warm. We walk along the waterfront to the Pier Mall where we were meeting a friend at a cafe there. Rolf took a short detour into one of my favourite swimwear shops and bought himself some new bathers - for once they aren't black or navy! I didn't see anything I liked but wasn't looking too hard as I have enough swimwear at the moment.

After meeting up at the cafe we went to Salt House restaurant for lunch. We'd been there years ago and remembered it as very nice but were a bit disappointed this time. The service was very patchy. The wine we ordered didn't actually arrive until we'd finished our appetisers. The food was OK but not much better than in Coral's MDR. We ordered a side salad with the mains but, as is far too common these days, was drowned in dressing.

We had a pleasant stroll back to the ship although it was starting to get a bit steamy by then. It was nice to get into the air-con and cool off.

• Like 4

On 9/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

We did that jetboat cruise out to Whitehaven for a  boxed lunch from Daydream Island last month and it was a highlight. Great coral and tropical fish on a nearby reef which we swam over.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bazshirl2 said:

We did that jetboat cruise out to Whitehaven for a  boxed lunch from Daydream Island last month and it was a highlight. Great coral and tropical fish on a nearby reef which we swam over.

You would have had a longer time there than us. We really only had time for a quick swim then lunch. Also I think we were at the opposite end of the beach to the reefs.

Friday we were at Port Douglas, a place we really like as we have spent a number of holidays there over the years. However it's not one of my favourite ports due to the long tender trips. This time it was even more complicated as there was a very low tide in the afternoon which meant the big local catamarans couldn't operate between noon and 4pm, just the ship's tenders. 

We went ashore for a wander around to see what had changed. It was very busy with regular holidaymakers plus us cruisers. We had hoped to have lunch in the town but the good restaurants were either closed for lunch or limiting the number of tables available. Staff shortages are really hitting them badly. 

We headed back to the marina hoping to get something to eat there and lucked in to a very nice little restaurant, Choo Choo, at one end of the marina. Great food! 

The wait for the tender was fairly long. Luckily we got there early enough to get on the next one when it arrived. The queue had grown quite big by then but a second tender was already waiting to berth. 

Port Douglas really impresses me by the way they have stuck to their guns about not allowing high rise buildings to overshadow the beach. From the ship you could not tell there was a town tucked behind the trees lining Four Mile Beach. The only signs of civilisation were a few houses at one end of the headland.

• Like 4

Yesterday we had the " technical stop" at Willis Island. This time they didn't schedule trivia at the same time so we got to see it. 😊

The weather has been great since leaving PD. Warm and sunny so we've been enjoying afternoons in the Sanctuary. It feels strange having the Sanctuary aft instead of forward, and on multiple levels, but it's worked out well as there has been quite a bit of wind in the eraly afternoons. The Sanctuary pool is small but big enough for a shallow end and a deep end - with two steps between which is a bit odd but probably better than the steep slopes in the Lotus Spa pools on Grand class ships. It's not heated but has warmed up nicely now. Unfortunately the shape of the pool area seems to amplify sound so it can get quite noisy when several people are in the pool chatting.

• Like 1

One thing strange about this cruise is the scarcity of the production shows. They had Motor City on the first night when we overnighted in Sydney then nothing until today when On the Bayou is on as a matinee, then on for the usual two evening shows tomorrow. They did have the Buddy Holly tribute show two nights in a row though. Other than that it's been comedians or solo vocalists.

• Like 1

We've been working our way through the special Good Spirits Bar cocktails. All very nice so far but remind me never to have the Coco Cafe one just before going to bed! 

20220905_183351.thumb.jpg.8e508cf2b307576e14a63055097e0db9.jpg

20220905_183408.thumb.jpg.d166c0474de240342a404405837984da.jpg

20220905_183419.thumb.jpg.2e8f84386d79ed6eb87f76f7ef8b11e7.jpg

20220905_183441.thumb.jpg.d21ed3a35344c1861a93d321bd428e8a.jpg

20220905_183445.thumb.jpg.29b6f1b9abb4824ff30e5afaa9b69cfa.jpg

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Friday we were at Port Douglas, a place we really like as we have spent a number of holidays there over the years. However it's not one of my favourite ports due to the long tender trips. This time it was even more complicated as there was a very low tide in the afternoon which meant the big local catamarans couldn't operate between noon and 4pm, just the ship's tenders. 

We went ashore for a wander around to see what had changed. It was very busy with regular holidaymakers plus us cruisers. We had hoped to have lunch in the town but the good restaurants were either closed for lunch or limiting the number of tables available. Staff shortages are really hitting them badly. 

We headed back to the marina hoping to get something to eat there and lucked in to a very nice little restaurant, Choo Choo, at one end of the marina. Great food! 

The wait for the tender was fairly long. Luckily we got there early enough to get on the next one when it arrived. The queue had grown quite big by then but a second tender was already waiting to berth. 

Port Douglas really impresses me by the way they have stuck to their guns about not allowing high rise buildings to overshadow the beach. From the ship you could not tell there was a town tucked behind the trees lining Four Mile Beach. The only signs of civilisation were a few houses at one end of the headland.

Look fwd to going there, as we didn’t make it in our trip in June as you know. And we’ve never been. It will prob be a specific trip for an actual holiday.

Julie, if you have a chance could you ask some questions at the internet cafe:

1. Cost per day of basic internet (1 device) when bought for the whole cruise,

2. We have heard many times that Elite passengers get 50% discount  

3. Cost of basic internet (1 device) if bought just for a day at a time

4. Does the 50% discount still apply

5. Is the price the same when bought on board compared with pre-purchase

6. If a person buys the basic internet package, can they use the internet cafe computers

We have been hearing different versions of these costs. The last question is because someone told me that if you buy the wi-fi package that is all it is and that it doesn't allow you to use their computers. That sounds strange to me.