Have you cruised in your own backyard?

K32682

5 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

How was the cuisine and the service on your cruise?     😁     (Today must be my "smart alec" day.)  

I'm sure the minced beef gravy on toast was exquisite!  😀

• Haha 1

We cruised round the British Isles some years ago, enjoying the novelty of sailing to cities we have visited many times such as Glasgow and Edinburgh. Pulling out of Belfast, the ship did the usual figure of 8 between NI and the Isle of Man  (most likely releasing grey water, as much of the cruise is very close to land), and we reckoned that we were about 40 miles from our front door in Cumbria.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2022 at 3:13 PM, rkacruiser said:

Many years ago, my family sailed on the S. S. South American of the Georgian Bay Line.  The line did Great Lakes cruises.  Our cruise was from Detroit to Buffalo to Cleveland and back to Detroit.  It was a nice cruise; the ship was certainly smaller and much less modern than current cruise ships are.  We had a Bedroom which was the best quality category available and it was a nice accommodation.  This really was my introduction to a cruise and it helped me to become addicted to cruising.  

Your story is much like DH's. He sailed a segment of South American's last lakes voyage - I think Cleveland to Detroit. He loved sailing the Lakes, but I was the one who pushed him into cruising. He's addicted too. We've talked about a Lakes cruise, but it is pricey for places he's already seen.

Thought you'd like these pics - The man in the baseball cap facing the camera is DH's dad.

South American Photo Folder.jpg

South American Photo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Your story is much like DH's. He sailed a segment of South American's last lakes voyage - I think Cleveland to Detroit. He loved sailing the Lakes, but I was the one who pushed him into cruising. He's addicted too. We've talked about a Lakes cruise, but it is pricey for places he's already seen.

Thought you'd like these pics - The man in the baseball cap facing the camera is DH's dad.

South American Photo Folder.jpg

South American Photo.jpg

Thanks and LIKE.  It's difficult these days to find anyone who has any memories of the two ships of that Company.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:
23 hours ago, nybumpkin said:

Was your Carnival Victory 6/28/04 cruise 4 days from NY to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia? I was on that one.

It was 5 days, but that's the one. We were in Halifax on Canada Day. We got hooked with that cruise.

We are booked for a B2B both out of San Diego (Sea of Cortez plus a repeat of Mexican Riviera), that feels a bit like cruising out of our former backyard (for the 35+ years we lived in Orange County CA), and is still the best "home port" for our new home in Southern Utah. 

LA/San Pedro would be somewhat more convenient, but the good cruiselines seem to be deserting that port like rats...

When I started cruising almost 50 years ago I lived in New York City so it was a short drive to cruise ships , but I currently live in Dallas area so we are a 5 hour drive or a short plane ride from Galveston, haven’t cruised from Galveston in about 5 years but will cruise from there next year when harmony of the seas starts sailing from there .

• Like 1