Military Discount Identification?

zanydoc

On 9/2/2022 at 8:10 PM, mpdog42 said:

if they get caught, It's a felony under the stolen valor act.

I wish that were true but unfortunately, the Stolen Valor statute does not cover this.  They would have to claim to be recipients of awards/decorations for it to apply.  

• Like 2

IMHO ~~~

As a retired USAF SMSgt ( Retired 1 Sep 1989 after 22 years ) I have attended Veteran's Meetings on four different cruise lines.  I believe Carnival does the best job and the other three sort of tie for #2.  🙂During recent cruises, other than Carnival's main event, these meetings are self led.  Sometimes there are many folks in attendance and at other times, only a few.  Some meetings have lasted for 2+ hours and some for 30 minutes.  All depends on those who attend.  To quote DaveKathy, "My take away was we all have something in common that required no explanation..........".  It is sort of like:  If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand.  I say that and mean no disrespect to anyone.  There is simply an underlying mutual respect and nonjudgmental acceptance of each individual's experiences and ideas, that exists in very few, if any, other gatherings in our general society.  The gatherings are not well advertised, in my opinion, but they do appear in the daily schedule of events, almost always on sea days.  Regardless of your preconceived ideas, I would urge all veterans to attend one of the meetings on your next cruise.  If it isn't for you, for whatever reason, simply get up, leave, and don't go to another.  Your choice and no one will say a word.  I repeat ---  "nonjudgmental acceptance of each individual's experiences and ideas".   

If your experience differs from mine, so be it.  I accept that and honor your decision.  

• Like 7

On 9/2/2022 at 7:59 PM, davekathy said:

Thanks. Kathy reads the Cruise Compass and lets me know about events that may interest us. Hard to believe the ships we've cruised on wouldn't have  had the Veterans gathering. We'll be sure to look closer next cruise. She had to talk me into going to the first one I attended on Celebrity. I'll admit I enjoyed it. 

Most of the cruises we've been on will have a ship-sponsored veterans gathering. Many times hosted by the captain. Also, watch the bulletin boards as many times there will be scheduled gatherings daily that some of the vets schedule on their own. Sallie and I are both retired Navy and like to attend them.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, davekathy said:

Pat I didn't either. But I understand, know and respect Bucky's reasons.  When I got discharged I stuffed just about all my military stuff in my duffle bag and tossed it in the first Salvation Army bin I drove by. I found out later my first wife kept my dog tags. I assume she still has them or maybe not. It took me many years (1991) before I told the truth about my time in the service. Especially working for the Government/Dept. of Defense (civilian civil service) for almost 40 years. Years later I went to my first Veterans gathering with Princess. Glad Kathy talked me into attending. Turned out to be a lot different than what I expected. Different branches of the service and different wars.  My take away was we all have something in common that required no explanation and also the acknowledgment from the cruise line. Not the cruise OBC or discount. But either one is still nice to have. 

I did the same thing after my first enlistment. Regretted it. I went back in and did 20 years and interestingly, I did it again. I have no uniform from my military days.... 

• Like 1

I guess this is a little off topic, but the thread has kind of morphed into a thread about on-board veteran events. Here's a picture of an event hosted by the captain and the HR Manager in his Navy uniform (retired). Sallie in the middle. This event was close to Memorial day so it was special. We had a WW2 vet (oldest) and a lady Airforce E-3 (youngest) cut the cake. This was on Freedom of the Seas in 2015.

image.thumb.png.c9be6347ab89f5fc3d6eefc6d5a12a9d.png

• Like 5

On 9/2/2022 at 2:18 PM, island lady said:

DH simply carries his VA card (always anyway).   Has never been asked to show it...but he does have it available if needed.

On maybe 20% or less of our booked cruises, did the Military discount come into play.  Hit and miss, though agree with others...Military discounts should be a given on all cruises to those that have served their country....or does RCI simply not care?  

I don’t understand why people think RCI doesn’t care if they don’t offer a military discount on every cruise. I spent over 20 years on active duty in the USAF. While I am grateful for businesses that offer discounts to the military, I don’t expect every business to offer a discount and I don’t hold it against them if they don’t offer a military discount.  

• Like 2

Niether

41 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don’t understand why people think RCI doesn’t care if they don’t offer a military discount on every cruise. I spent over 20 years on active duty in the USAF. While I am grateful for businesses that offer discounts to the military, I don’t expect every business to offer a discount and I don’t hold it against them if they don’t offer a military discount.  

My take on this...is offer or don't offer.   Don't just cherry pick which cruise to give the discount to.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2chiefs said:

I did the same thing after my first enlistment. Regretted it. I went back in and did 20 years and interestingly, I did it again. I have no uniform from my military days.... 

I kept my field jacket, bonnie hat and a Marine cap (unstarched, 😉) that was given to me my a Marine in exchange for a bottle of JD. I still have all three. 

44 minutes ago, island lady said:

Niether

My take on this...is offer or don't offer.   Don't just cherry pick which cruise to give the discount to.  

Pat, I agree and didn't interrupt what you are saying as you expect RC to give something. Just be consistent, no matter the cabin category, or itinerary. IMO, it has nothing to do with being owed something but the recognition for serving. I remember a few years back here on CC there was a similar topic and a lifer posted he takes offense when someone thanks him for his service. I wasn't a lifer (drafted) but I don't find it offensive when someone thanks me for my service. Whether it's a verbal acknowledgment or a discount on something. I'll stop here as I don't want to get political.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

My wife and I are both retired USAF.  We've always appreciated a military discount, but never thought any different if we didn't get one.  My personal experience at least where I live is many who served, no matter how briefly expect businesses to offer them.  Some won't even go back if they don't.   I have noticed pre-covid RC seemed to offer more discounts than they currently do.  Maybe they changed their business model?  I would like to see discounts offered consistent, but maybe they can't for whatever reason?  If discounts aren't offered why have people check the box hoping to get one?  JMHO.  

Thanks to all who served.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Pat, I agree and didn't interrupt what you are saying as you expect RC to give something. Just be consistent, no matter the cabin category, or itinerary. IMO, it has nothing to do with being owed something but the recognition for serving. I remember a few years back here on CC there was a similar topic and a lifer posted he takes offense when someone thanks him for his service. I wasn't a lifer (drafted) but I don't find it offensive when someone thanks me for my service. Whether it's a verbal acknowledgment or a discount on something. I'll stop here as I don't want to get political.  

Indeed, Bucky always says "Thank you" when someone thanks him for his service.  You and he...and all your bros/sisters..certainly earned it.  Not just the VA...but we have saved a lot of money at Lowes...with all the home improvement we had been doing over the years.  Huge benefit with that 10% due to all the work we did.  And at least Lowes...they offer that discount all the time.  😉 

Sigh..but with RCI...same old...same old.   RCI:  Really Consistently Inconsistent.  🤕

Edited by island lady
  • Like 3

On 9/5/2022 at 9:16 PM, Roybthered said:

Do you get to get a discount for a UK veteran? I thought it was only US forces who got it? I am hoping in anticipation that you will reply saying yes you can as I served 24 years Army.

10% discount on cruise element only, BUT may not be combinable with CAS discount or discounted rates, special promotions or any other promotion that Royal deem a further discount cannot be applied to...

Special rates

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 7:19 PM, Aquahound said:

I wish that were true but unfortunately, the Stolen Valor statute does not cover this.  They would have to claim to be recipients of awards/decorations for it to apply.  

You right...I believe it would come under some type of fraud statues Federal/State

On 9/2/2022 at 10:11 AM, zanydoc said:

Hello, fellow Royals! I finally was able to snag a military discount for our upcoming Independence cruise and trying to figure out what to bring for the identification. My husband is a Coast Guard Veteran honorably discharged after 6 years of service, 28 years ago. He has a Veteran’s ID card with his picture and the paperwork (Discharge papers). On the Royal website it says he is supposed to have a United States UNIFORMED Blue identification card. This is not something that we have as he is not active duty. Will these ID’s be sufficient? Thanks for your help! 

DD214 is proof. Those retiring now no longer get a blue retiree card, it’s a CAC card

On 9/3/2022 at 3:30 PM, UnregisteredUser said:

Does British military service count? Was this on US or European/other cruises? It's not only US/Canadian military that gets discounts?

Yes it does 

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

DD214 is proof. Those retiring now no longer get a blue retiree card, it’s a CAC card

Really? I still have the blue card which was renewed in 2014. Sallie's was just updated this past year when she turned 65 and hers is blue. When did it change and what does CAC stand for?

1 hour ago, 2chiefs said:

Really? I still have the blue card which was renewed in 2014. Sallie's was just updated this past year when she turned 65 and hers is blue. When did it change and what does CAC stand for?

CAC, Common Access Card. I worked for the DoD/U.S. Air Force as a civilian (CS) for almost 40 years. Sometime in 2021 we were issued CACs and had to surrender the old style ID cards (green). I retired in 2014 (CSRS) and my retirement card is a CAC. The only difference is the retirement CAC doesn't have the Single Integrated Circuit Chip (SICC). 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:57 PM, George C said:

I asked about the military discount on my harmony cruise next year was told since it was on sale there would be no discounts. I know MSc has a ten percent discount and I believe I got a extra 100 in OBC on my celebrity cruise.

in Texas if you bring in your dd214 they add that you are a veteran on your drivers license.

I believe Ohio offers the license indicator as well.

17 hours ago, davekathy said:

CAC, Common Access Card. I worked for the DoD/U.S. Air Force as a civilian (CS) for almost 40 years. Sometime in 2021 we were issued CACs and had to surrender the old style ID cards (green). I retired in 2014 (CSRS) and my retirement card is a CAC. The only difference is the retirement CAC doesn't have the Single Integrated Circuit Chip (SICC). 

I guess mine is a CAC card since they had me surrender the old one in 2014 but it's still blue. I guess that's what confused me when you said "Those retiring now no longer get a blue retiree card"

56 minutes ago, 2chiefs said:

I guess mine is a CAC card since they had me surrender the old one in 2014 but it's still blue. I guess that's what confused me when you said "Those retiring now no longer get a blue retiree card"

I got a new blue retiree card in 2014 only because the previous one has my SSN on it.  It's not a CAC.  I suspect they have implemented a new retiree card similar to the CAC (which is white in color) that active duty have, but I have not seen one.  I did have a CAC with a chip when I worked as a Defense Contractor.

On 9/2/2022 at 11:32 AM, molly361 said:

His DD214 will work but we have booked multiple cruises with the military rate and have NEVER been asked to see any ID

I provided my Hubs document on our first cruise with Royal over 25 years ago....she didn't ask for it, I shoved it over the counter at her and we have never been asked to provide it again, don't remember if they photocopied it or not.

• Like 1