Can you drop carry-ons in the cabin upon boarding?

55 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

So you simply open a closed door to a restricted area, that has a sign letting you know that the hall is closed and the rooms are not ready.  You walk through while staff (even staff from other areas) are furiously trying to clean, you walk over the vacuum cords, around the laundry  bags still in the  hall to your room that is not sufficiently cleaned, sanitized or approved by the deck supervisor.    Drop off your bags in an open room,  walk through the hall again while they scramble around you to clean the cabins, and leave.    One reason they areas is closed in the hallways are filled with staff, supplies, equipment etc., and passengers could easily get hurt. 

Now, you left your carry on baggage in a unsecured cabin, the door is likely still open as the room is not cleaned.  I guess another passenger, who also breaks the rule, can walk through the halls and simply pick up your bag.  Then what?  

Of course they say, "no problem", as there is no way a staff at that level is confronting a passenger.   

If I entered a restricted areas that I knew was off limits, potentially got in the way of the cleaning routine, I   doubt I would brag about it.   How hard is to let the crew do their job and wait an hour for the cabin to be ready.  Do you enter the galley or bridge as well?  How do you draw the line? 

M

Perfectly stated!!  🤗

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

So you simply open a closed door to a restricted area, that has a sign letting you know that the hall is closed and the rooms are not ready.  You walk through while staff (even staff from other areas) are furiously trying to clean, you walk over the vacuum cords, around the laundry  bags still in the  hall to your room that is not sufficiently cleaned, sanitized or approved by the deck supervisor.    Drop off your bags in an open room,  walk through the hall again while they scramble around you to clean the cabins, and leave.    One reason they areas is closed in the hallways are filled with staff, supplies, equipment etc., and passengers could easily get hurt. 

Now, you left your carry on baggage in a unsecured cabin, the door is likely still open as the room is not cleaned.  I guess another passenger, who also breaks the rule, can walk through the halls and simply pick up your bag.  Then what?  

Of course they say, "no problem", as there is no way a staff at that level is confronting a passenger.   

If I entered a restricted areas that I knew was off limits, potentially got in the way of the cleaning routine, I   doubt I would brag about it.   How hard is to let the crew do their job and wait an hour for the cabin to be ready.  Do you enter the galley or bridge as well?  How do you draw the line? 

M

Liking this post isn't enough. Bravo! Irritates me when people think *they* are the ones above the rules.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, island lady said:

Exactly this ^.  🙂 

Would people like it if they were interrupted at work?  

When I arrived, I saw cabins weren't ready and doors closed, so we just hung out for a little bit in the centrum area.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, moposh said:

Would people like it if they were interrupted at work?  

When I arrived, I saw cabins weren't ready and doors closed, so we just hung out for a little bit in the centrum area.

Waiting around for an hour or so with your carry on bags on the ship, sure is nicer than waiting around in the airport with your carry on bags.  😉  

• Like 4

Why do passengers who want or need to have a large carry on, select an early check in, carry the bags around and then complain about it?  Select a later check in, board,  the cabins will likely be open, drop off the bags in your secure cabin and then have lunch.   WJ doesn't close till 3   or so.  I can tell you from recent experience that once the cabins open, the WJ clears out.   

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I had read #37. I reiterate that if HAL can do it so can RCI.

Jim

What time does HAL have you vacate your cabin on the last morning? When RCI made you get out earlier cabins were ready for the next group on embarkation. When RCI let people stay in their cabins later they changed to the new system.

What time does HAL open the cabins?

On 9/10/2022 at 8:23 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

WJ doesn't close till 3   or so.  I can tell you from recent experience that once the cabins open, the WJ clears out.   

That was what I always thought.  Didn't happen on the Adventure last month. Stayed crowded.  😉

7 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I had read #37. I reiterate that if HAL can do it so can RCI.

Jim

There are lots of things that one company does that another doesn't.  This is one of them.  

If this is what floats your boat, if this is your deal-breaker, stick with HAL.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

What time does HAL have you vacate your cabin on the last morning? When RCI made you get out earlier cabins were ready for the next group on embarkation. When RCI let people stay in their cabins later they changed to the new system.

In Dec. 2021 (Rotterdam), we were out of our cabin by 8:00 to 8:30.

Jim

On 9/9/2022 at 8:29 AM, Bushdog said:

Liking this post isn't enough. Bravo! Irritates me when people think *they* are the ones above the rules.

Yes...agree..The only people that can access their cabin and go through those shut doors are B2B cruisers. When we do this we are as quick as we can and don't call attention to ourselves slipping through those doors :classic_ninja:

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Yes...agree..The only people that can access their cabin and go through those shut doors are B2B cruisers. When we do this we are as quick as we can and don't call attention to ourselves slipping through those doors :classic_ninja:

Wow, never knew that b2b's were allowed to do that.  Room steward's have always handled our bags.  Don't see us changing it up, as we have no need to be disruptive while they're all doing their changeover.

Edited by bucfan2

1 hour ago, bucfan2 said:

Wow, never knew that b2b's were allowed to do that.  Room steward's have always handled our bags.  Don't see us changing it up, as we have no need to be disruptive while they're all doing their changeover.

I am NOT a morning person.  REALLY not a morning person.

When I am B2B and staying in the same cabin, I tell my attendant to take the morning off from my cabin.  No need to come in at all.  I put the "do not disturb" card out.  And sometimes, after doing the turnaround trot, I return to my cabin and GO BACK TO BED.

YMMV

2 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

When I am B2B and staying in the same cabin, I tell my attendant to take the morning off from my cabin.  No need to come in at all.  I put the "do not disturb" card out.  And sometimes, after doing the turnaround trot, I return to my cabin and GO BACK TO BED.

YMMV

We do the same and the reason we don't change cabins...that's the whole idea. But if we do slip out/in to the cabin we're quick about it.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

YMMV

That's interesting....never heard of it/considered it.  Is this in the 'fine print' somewhere, part of the 'secret handshake', or just an assumed benefit?  I can see being in a GS/CL/etc on a b2b and this warranting consideration.

Edited by bucfan2

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

We do the same and the reason we don't change cabins...that's the whole idea. But if we do slip out/in to the cabin we're quick about it.

Again, never considered that.  And having the same cabin if far from 'the whole idea' for us doing a b2b, although it certainly has its benefits.  (I wasn't clear on 'room steward handing bags'...that includes remaining in same room). 

Just trying for determine where/what/whatever gives a b2b'er approval for accessing the halls.  Guess it's the little touch of 'rule follower' in me that wants to make sure I'm doing just that.   If the answer is 'slip out/in real quick', I guess the other 6K pax on an Oasis class ship could argue the same.

Edited by bucfan2

10 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

YMMV

I agree.....not disruptive to give the steward less work to do

• Like 1