This is why people are not taking cruises, and it's because of Covid and NOT what you think...

evag

I am booked on Discovery Princess Sept. 18 sailing and if it wasn't in the 90's in my city of CA where it only normally get to the mid 70's I wouldn't have booked it,  it's been a nightmare.  I read the Covid restrictions and while I was waiting for the travel agent to book it, my potential companion who is from Canada told me that I had to the app ArriveCAN (although he spelled it wrong), when I googled it, I got on the website for the Canadian government NOT for the site which didn't go into great detail how to do it, just gave info on it.  Failing that, I decided to call Princess, giving my booking number AND ALSO MENTIONED that I am both vaxxed AND boosted where I talked with a res agent  who told me that I can't fill it out , can't get tested  until 3 DAYS before we arrive in Canada and was also told, can't get tested on ship.  Surprised I asked her, are you sure I can't be tested before I board the ship and she said yes, she also told me about doing it on the website as I told her I was not good with apps.  Then talked to the travel agent and he said I just upload docs and nothing about being tested.

The next day I called Princess again, to find out if they did testing on the cruise ship for testing for Canada as I didn't want to spend my precious few hours in port getting Covid tested  and this time (she seemed inexperienced) the agent told me that they did have testing onboard but it cost $60. She said you can can get tested on the ship and spent twenty minutes at least looking on Princess's website even though I told her it didn't say anything about the ArriveCAN website (I finally found it).  I had to call Princess again and a third agent said also that I had to be tested 3 days before disembarking in Vancouver but NO charge from Princess to administer the test.  I then tried to put a mock run on the website and saw if you have been vaxxed you do NOT need to be tested but upload documents. I called travel agent and told him I was told by agents no testing needed by Princess to go onboard and he said follow the WRITTEN guidelines as to what is needed, better safe than sorry. 

Why can't Princess (which DOES seem to update frequently the Covid site) put on links to some of things?  it said regarding Canada to see what they need, mentioned nothing abut ArriveCAN when they can simply put a link to the ArrivCAN website on there, so you can easily find it. As I said if you google it will just give you the government website for info for that but not their site. Its frustrating when you call and TELL the agent that the information you are asking for is NOT on their Covid website as I told Paulina (if you get her you should excuse yourself politely and hangup ) who does it anyway as she seems terribly inexperienced because she doesn't know anything but reads you what you already know from their website and she has to continually put you on hold to ask someone things as she can't answer your questions.  

I will go and enjoy my cruise but I hope (and guess not) that Princess takes some of my suggestions, with the frequent changes for Covid rules, all they need to put government links and if they do testing on the ship, SAY so and how much it costs.  Since from Paulina I know the support agent SHE checked with is wrong after I talked to a wonderful agent named Victoria (third agent) who seemed to know the answers and said there was NO charge so I hope she is right if testing IS necessary for Canada, then they should say if they do it on ship and the cost on their Covid info link.  Put everything the agent should know on the website, why would the first agent tell me that they don't test BEFORE you get on the ship. (luckily I checked as I didn't get her name.)  I am almost to elite status on Princess but because of what happened to them 2 years ago and recently (when they had more Covid outbreaks)  wondering why I am cruising with them again, oh, it's 90 and I can't get a refund (only way they can get you to try them again) for my first cruise because of all the confusing info I get from their agents which conflict with each other and their website.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, evag said:

I am booked on Discovery Princess Sept. 18 sailing and if it wasn't in the 90's in my city of CA where it only normally get to the mid 70's I wouldn't have booked it,  it's been a nightmare.  I read the Covid restrictions and while I was waiting for the travel agent to book it, my potential companion who is from Canada told me that I had to the app ArriveCAN (although he spelled it wrong), when I googled it, I got on the website for the Canadian government NOT for the site which didn't go into great detail how to do it, just gave info on it.  Failing that, I decided to call Princess, giving my booking number AND ALSO MENTIONED that I am both vaxxed AND boosted where I talked with a res agent  who told me that I can't fill it out , can't get tested  until 3 DAYS before we arrive in Canada and was also told, can't get tested on ship.  Surprised I asked her, are you sure I can't be tested before I board the ship and she said yes, she also told me about doing it on the website as I told her I was not good with apps.  Then talked to the travel agent and he said I just upload docs and nothing about being tested.

The next day I called Princess again, to find out if they did testing on the cruise ship for testing for Canada as I didn't want to spend my precious few hours in port getting Covid tested  and this time (she seemed inexperienced) the agent told me that they did have testing onboard but it cost $60. She said you can can get tested on the ship and spent twenty minutes at least looking on Princess's website even though I told her it didn't say anything about the ArriveCAN website (I finally found it).  I had to call Princess again and a third agent said also that I had to be tested 3 days before disembarking in Vancouver but NO charge from Princess to administer the test.  I then tried to put a mock run on the website and saw if you have been vaxxed you do NOT need to be tested but upload documents. I called travel agent and told him I was told by agents no testing needed by Princess to go onboard and he said follow the WRITTEN guidelines as to what is needed, better safe than sorry. 

Why can't Princess (which DOES seem to update frequently the Covid site) put on links to some of things?  it said regarding Canada to see what they need, mentioned nothing abut ArriveCAN when they can simply put a link to the ArrivCAN website on there, so you can easily find it. As I said if you google it will just give you the government website for info for that but not their site. Its frustrating when you call and TELL the agent that the information you are asking for is NOT on their Covid website as I told Paulina (if you get her you should excuse yourself politely and hangup ) who does it anyway as she seems terribly inexperienced because she doesn't know anything but reads you what you already know from their website and she has to continually put you on hold to ask someone things as she can't answer your questions.  

I will go and enjoy my cruise but I hope (and guess not) that Princess takes some of my suggestions, with the frequent changes for Covid rules, all they need to put government links and if they do testing on the ship, SAY so and how much it costs.  Since from Paulina I know the support agent SHE checked with is wrong after I talked to a wonderful agent named Victoria (third agent) who seemed to know the answers and said there was NO charge so I hope she is right if testing IS necessary for Canada, then they should say if they do it on ship and the cost on their Covid info link.  Put everything the agent should know on the website, why would the first agent tell me that they don't test BEFORE you get on the ship. (luckily I checked as I didn't get her name.)  I am almost to elite status on Princess but because of what happened to them 2 years ago and recently (when they had more Covid outbreaks)  wondering why I am cruising with them again, oh, it's 90 and I can't get a refund (only way they can get you to try them again) for my first cruise because of all the confusing info I get from their agents which conflict with each other and their website.

Believe me they are still having outbreaks. I was one of hundreds infected on the Royal Princess 8/27 cruise

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Have you looked at the guidelines on the Princess website for cruises in/out/stopping in Canada?  It is all explained there..and in your Cruise Summary

You have to be tested BEFORE you board, there is testing available at Vancouver airport and also at Canada Place.  Antigen test is 2 days and PCR is 3 days if you do the PCR make sure it is the rapid test.  We use an online testing site very easy and rapid antigen results in 30 minutes. They will NOT allow you to board without a negative test.

ArriveCAN MUST be filled out and submitted within 72 hours of boarding. We have  to show our QR code when boarding and confirmed with our cabin steward.  There is a web based app as well as one for your phone or IPad I take a screen shot and print it off just in case. The app is for boarding purposes and since your passport is tied to the app it is unlikely you will have to show it once you are on the ship. It has to be done whether or not you intend to get off the ship in Canada.

You will have to be fully vaccinated and show your vaccination cards.

Edited by Sprocket
  • Like 11

Princess website dated August 24/22 clearly outlines what/ when Covid testing is required for cruises visiting Canada.

You do the test prior to boarding.

The ArriveCAN app has been around awhile now, and is not a big deal. We did all this in May & will again in October.

If you have trouble with it then there will be reps at the terminal where you embark to help you fill it in.

The reps answering the phones are mostly inexperienced and it is best to go with the latest updates you see written on the cruise website.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Have you looked at the guidelines on the Princess website for cruises in/out/stopping in Canada?  It is all explained there..and in your Cruise Summary

You have to be tested BEFORE you board, there is testing available at Vancouver airport and also at Canada Place.  Antigen test is 2 days and PCR is 3 days if you do the PCR make sure it is the rapid test.  We use an online testing site very easy and rapid antigen results in 30 minutes. They will NOT allow you to board without a negative test.

ArriveCAN MUST be filled out and submitted within 72 hours of boarding. We have  to show our QR code when boarding and confirmed with our cabin steward.  There is a web based app as well as one for your phone or IPad I take a screen shot and print it off just in case. The app is for boarding purposes and since your passport is tied to the app it is unlikely you will have to show it once you are on the ship. It has to be done whether or not you intend to get off the ship in Canada.

• Like 1

Just now, Sprocket said:
6 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Just now, Sprocket said:
6 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

Testing at the port is not free so if you can test before arriving I Vancouver I highly recommend you do so.

• Like 2

I just posted on another thread and made the error of thinking that the OP was a newbie.  You have very few posts, lots of years, and almost elite.  I am surprised that you have so many concerns.  Is your Travel Agent an independent or did you book through Princess?  Your TA should be the one walking you through all of this since she is the one getting a commission.  

Princess' website is very clear.  It was even updated to be even more clear.  If you go to Canada you need:

1.  Fill out the ArriveCan app.  The process can begin way out.  You just are unable to fill out the health form until 72 hours prior to ship departure.  Similar to the one for Princess.  It can even be filled out as a web based app rather than a phone app.

2.  You will need a PCR test WITHIN 72 hours of ship departure (best to schedule it for after 12 noon).

You can take a rapid antigen test 2 days before boarding.

You can do a proctored Binax Now ID test (or similar) from the convenience of your home/hotel.

3.  You are vaxxed and boosted.  You have to upload that (or take your card) for Princess as well as for Canada.

You mentioned that you are on the Discovery September 18.  I believe she does a round trip out of Seattle.  I believe (somebody correct me) that you need the test results before boarding in Seattle because this ship will stop in Victoria.  The 72 hours and 2 day requirement is NOT before arrival into Victoria.  

This is the reason I deal with my wonderful travel agent.  Princess's phone reps are not the best informed.  At least they are a step above offshore call centers.  I can generally understand them.  I have stopped calling Princess for important information.  I am reluctant to believe 55% of what they don't know.  

I hope you are able to sort through all of your issues before boarding the ship.  Good luck.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I just posted on another thread and made the error of thinking that the OP was a newbie.  You have very few posts, lots of years, and almost elite.  I am surprised that you have so many concerns.  Is your Travel Agent an independent or did you book through Princess?  Your TA should be the one walking you through all of this since she is the one getting a commission.  

Princess' website is very clear.  It was even updated to be even more clear.  If you go to Canada you need:

1.  Fill out the ArriveCan app.  The process can begin way out.  You just are unable to fill out the health form until 72 hours prior to ship departure.  Similar to the one for Princess.  It can even be filled out as a web based app rather than a phone app.

2.  You will need a PCR test WITHIN 72 hours of ship departure (best to schedule it for after 12 noon).

You can take a rapid antigen test 2 days before boarding.

You can do a proctored Binax Now ID test (or similar) from the convenience of your home/hotel.

3.  You are vaxxed and boosted.  You have to upload that (or take your card) for Princess as well as for Canada.

You mentioned that you are on the Discovery September 18.  I believe she does a round trip out of Seattle.  I believe (somebody correct me) that you need the test results before boarding in Seattle because this ship will stop in Victoria.  The 72 hours and 2 day requirement is NOT before arrival into Victoria.  

This is the reason I deal with my wonderful travel agent.  Princess's phone reps are not the best informed.  At least they are a step above offshore call centers.  I can generally understand them.  I have stopped calling Princess for important information.  I am reluctant to believe 55% of what they don't know.  

I hope you are able to sort through all of your issues before boarding the ship.  Good luck.

Deleted misread your response.

Edited by Sprocket
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hawaii had the Safe Travels app forever. If you think the Canadian App is bad, try to get a PCR test returned within the 3 day window during the height of the Pandemic).  I had the luxury to plan my trips to avoid testing over a weekend.  Granted, I could have spent $150 for a rapid PCR test, but chose not to.  Finding and scheduling a test was extremely frustrating.  

You had to be vaccinated and testing negative to step foot on the islands.  

When cruising resumed to the islands, that was just one more obstacle to overcome.  Lots of passengers had to be helped onboard…before arrival.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, dave_k58 said:

Its because they all work from home and have to call the main office to get any sort of semi-correct answer.

and then - they still may not necessarily get it right

lol, I have yet to have a good experience with customer service even prior to covid. they are terrible. CCL provides better customer service than PCL. 

Also, PCL uses a 3rd party agency to provide customer service.

All these aspects should impact the customer experience. 

Edited by DrSea

11 hours ago, evag said:

As someone who has cruised with Princess multiple times, I do not understand how you miss the link(s) that have been at the top of their home page for months and months since the re-start.

Sure they have made changes and updates, but the information is all there for vaccinations and testing. 

You should also know when booking "last minute" after FP Date that you pay in full and are subject to whatever cancellation rules exist. 

Yes, it would be a Nice-To-Have if they provided a link to government website, but sometimes those change as well and not easy to keep up.  As someone who uses a computer, you should have been able to find the ArriveCAN info via Google (or per your cruising friend).

Yes, Princess has a lot of newer phone reps and we often joke on here how you can get different answers on certain things - even before Covid.  It isn't good if a guest is given wrong info, but the info is there for us to look up and read ourselves.

I do not see an issue at all when Google for ArriveCAN.  The first thing is this:  https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html

And that page will lead you to whatever you want to learn.

Like Princess pre-cruise registration, ArriveCAN can be completed on a PC.

In some ways, I think you were your own worst enemy here.  Hopefully, you have the right info now and are better informed.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Mud_Shark said:

another vote against the Arrive Can app.  Useless and frustrating.

Don

So you’d rather get off the ship and line up with thousands to clear customs?  We really liked being able to just walk off in Vancouver take the elevator up to street level and Uber home.

Edited by Sprocket
  • Like 5

I am on the Ruby now after flying to SF from So. Cal. And I must admit I too felt a bit overwhelmed by all the Confusing info about testing, ArriveCAN, QR codes, uploading neg. Results etc.   But everything feel into place, my travel day was so easy and on time (thanks United) and amazingly, checkin and boarding was the easiest I have ever experienced.  Security, checkin and waiting for 15. Minutes  in the elite boarding area before walking on.   So, I would say, definitely  worth the hassle.  And if they have similar protocols next year, it will be much easier.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

I am on the Ruby now after flying to SF from So. Cal. And I must admit I too felt a bit overwhelmed by all the Confusing info about testing, ArriveCAN, QR codes, uploading neg. Results etc.   But everything feel into place, my travel day was so easy and on time (thanks United) and amazingly, checkin and boarding was the easiest I have ever experienced.  Security, checkin and waiting for 15. Minutes  in the elite boarding area before walking on.   So, I would say, definitely  worth the hassle.  And if they have similar protocols next year, it will be much easier.

You’re right next  time it will be even easier as a lot of your information stays stored in the ArriveCAN App so it only takes a few minutes to complete.

I live in Canada and have been on 6 cruises just since December, coming back into Canada by land, air and ship and it really expedited the process.

Don’t be surprised when no one asks to see it if you get off the ship in Canada, it’s doing exactly what it’s supposed to.

13 hours ago, NownZen said:

Why did you not just look on the Princess website for the requirements? it is there for all to see.

ArriveCAN is no big deal although not well done. Download on your phone or go to the website and follow the link that they list https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Please make sure that when you click on the above link you also click on the embedded link for people going on cruises. 

Here is a direct link for cruisers starting, ending, and/or stopping in Canada

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

It is really a shame that Princess does not include on their web site ALL the information from the Canadian web site regarding cruising!

Could not agree more with the OP and Princess' procedures re covid, especially going through Canada.

• Princess phone agents do not present correct and/or consistent information
  • Princess web site presents conflicting information in various sections regarding Covid procedures
  • We agree with many about why should we continue to book with Princess considering their sub standard support for their customers

We're on the same Sept 18th Discovery cruise. It disembarks in Vancouver. Princess sent an email the other day clearly outlining the requirements to complete the ArriveCan via app or website (the email included a direct link to it), and the testing requirements. All of which have been on the website since the beginning.

Sorry OP you're having a difficult time with this one. I haven't bothered to call Princess about anything since it's been pretty clear on their website. I do agree that the requirement to get tested to enter Canada by cruise ship is pretty lame considering I can walk, drive, boat, and fly into Canada without any testing, but step on a cruise ship and now I have to pay a bunch more $ for testing... :( 

• Like 2

@Sprocket has covered it all nicely. 

So the added bonus is expedited disembarkation in Canada.  Good to know. Ty.  

@evagWe booked a last minute cruise to the Baltics last month.  It does take a bit of catching up to get prepared, but of course the fare was awesome. If you want to cruise to Alaska, Princess really does it better than other lines. 

There is also a large and active roll call for your cruise so another place to find information. 

Edited by milolii

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Hawaii had the Safe Travels app forever. If you think the Canadian App is bad, try to get a PCR test returned within the 3 day window during the height of the Pandemic).  I had the luxury to plan my trips to avoid testing over a weekend.  Granted, I could have spent $150 for a rapid PCR test, but chose not to.  Finding and scheduling a test was extremely frustrating.  

You had to be vaccinated and testing negative to step foot on the islands.  

When cruising resumed to the islands, that was just one more obstacle to overcome.  Lots of passengers had to be helped onboard…before arrival.  

I was taking my tests at LAX. Flying non rev was great, I'd get upset if someone was even sitting next to me in FC or within 2 rows of me in da back

• Like 1