Savory Bites Still Exist on Allure😊

nelblu

12 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

Many people love them but I’ve never understood the infatuation with a dry chunk of bread with poppy seeds sprinkled on it. 

Dry chunk of bread? You must have been getting the day-old bakery version. 🤣 Personally, I love them because they're the perfect portion size and texture reminds me of bread I used to get at a Swiss boulangerie.  But to each his/her own. 🙂 

nelblu, thanks for the head up. Just one more month to the Allure! ☺️

1 minute ago, la_croisiere_s'amuse said:

Dry chunk of bread? You must have been getting the day-old bakery version. 🤣 Personally, I love them because they're the perfect portion size and texture reminds me of bread I used to get at a Swiss boulangerie.  But to each his/her own. 🙂 

nelblu, thanks for the head up. Just one more month to the Allure! ☺️

50 years ago before I had a career, I was a baker. We made”bites” like those out of chopped up scraps of overworked bread dough that was too dense to do anything else with and couldn’t throw it in the trash. 
This is what the “savory bites” remind me of. 
Did you know that apple fritters are made of chopped up donut dough scraps??  😁

• Like 1

We asked for them towards the end of our August Explorer cruise and the head waiter brought us a plate  nightly from that point on. Some friends we met onboard had a very young child who was happy mouthing the sourdough rolls (it was like some kind of perfect pacifier for that child) and they had a platter of them nightly. They definitely aim to please in the MDR.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Savory Bites! I have always loved them and requested them on Enchantment last week.  Was informed by our head waiter they no longer made them. (Perhaps just on Enchantment) but he brought us some breadsticks from Windjammer and said "made especially for you".  Last night in the MDR with him. Went back and tipped waiter and helper, but walked right past him.  Also, he was very "touchy" with the female staff and one of our women on our cruise every time he saw them at lunch in Windjammer.  Just was a weird vibe and didn't like it.

If you get the right server, you can get them. We actually had the headwaiter on EX sure we had some. But our last sailing on GR everyone claimed it was not possible (including the MDR mgt). So I guess it depends on the server and the ship. But they sure are delicious when you can get them! 

On 12/15/2023 at 2:59 PM, AlohaLivin said:

If you get the right server, you can get them. We actually had the headwaiter on EX sure we had some. But our last sailing on GR everyone claimed it was not possible (including the MDR mgt). So I guess it depends on the server and the ship. But they sure are delicious when you can get them! 

We've now been told on several cruises that they are no longer available since they do not carry the specialty ingredients to make them any longer. There were major cutbacks in the bakery after Covid and the quality of the breads has definitely suffered on Royal. We really miss these tasty little treats.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CntPAcruiser said:

We've now been told on several cruises that they are no longer available since they do not carry the specialty ingredients to make them any longer. There were major cutbacks in the bakery after Covid and the quality of the breads has definitely suffered on Royal. We really miss these tasty little treats.

Not sure that is the case.  It's part of the streamlining process that accompanied the new menus in which no substitutes or special requests allowed.  The last time I was successful in getting the bites was my sail on Anthem in February '23.

On 12/18/2023 at 7:21 PM, nelblu said:

Not sure that is the case.  It's part of the streamlining process that accompanied the new menus in which no substitutes or special requests allowed.  The last time I was successful in getting the bites was my sail on Anthem in February '23.

Well, you call it streamlining--it's cost cutting either way. They have eliminated many items to save money and consequently no longer have the ingredients available. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2022 at 6:37 PM, HicksRA said:

50 years ago before I had a career, I was a baker. We made”bites” like those out of chopped up scraps of overworked bread dough that was too dense to do anything else with and couldn’t throw it in the trash. 
This is what the “savory bites” remind me of. 
Did you know that apple fritters are made of chopped up donut dough scraps??  😁

My husband loves Apple fritters. Just told him this info and he said “that’s why they are so good!” 😬

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 5:23 PM, nelblu said:

Wonderful savory bites ever night

61756CAE-D760-41CC-8F38-3F45A4B816A1.jpeg

I love bread (amateur baker myself) and I haven’t tried these yet. I do love the dinner rolls with the cheese and herbs on top. Super yummy!! Sailing on Allure in October. Will have to ask for these.

17 hours ago, cj_one2000 said:

I love bread (amateur baker myself) and I haven’t tried these yet. I do love the dinner rolls with the cheese and herbs on top. Super yummy!! Sailing on Allure in October. Will have to ask for these.

They are gone - no more!