The insanity of seeking reef safe sunscreen that isn't bogus/ineffective or make me look like Casper

Seeking recommendations for a reef safe sunscreen that doesn't 

* leave me burned

*make me look like Casper's paler sister

*refuse to budge off my skin with soap and water

*make my acne prone skin get coated in grease/oil

It seems like every recommended reef safe sunscreen has ingredients that are NOT reef safe (like SunBum, Coola) or the verified purchaser reviews show people burnt like lobsters/saying they had to use a scratchy kitchen scrub sponge to get it off/complaining that it ruined their clothes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- We are going to St. Thomas/St. John, St. Martin & Coco Cay.

Not sure if you end up looking like Casper but Super Goop has worked well for my children that already look a bit Casper like. The complaint was some of it is a bit heavy for the face, so they use the regular formula in the pump bottle for body and a different formula for face. They also prefer the spray but I'm not sure if that one is reef safe, since it was for the pool this summer.

• Like 1

Main reef safe sunblock ingredient is Zinc Oxide -- It's white.  Sometimes manufacturers add Titanium dioxide - it's even whiter.  If the particles of either ingredient are reduced to extreme smallness (nano-particles), it sometimes decreases the whiteness, but some say nano particles aren't safe health-wise, nor nature-wise.

As post#2 says - wear a dive skin or other UVA/B blocking clothing.

As for the Hawaiian tropic stuff:  They leave out two of the worst reef damaging chemicals, but watch out for the other active ingredients:

image.png.12d3c3b9e718f5d8e41dbdf7d250bc52.png

image.thumb.png.8b543748c809e95b894fe0cac1215740.png

• Like 4

I'm not saying that sun exposure is can't be harmful, but I somehow have this gut feeling that the sunscreen industry has been taking advantage of us for years.  The rate of skin cancer continues to increase and is much higher now than back in the 60's and 70's before we had these high-index sunscreens.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

As a redhead, I've given up on sunscreen.  I wear a long-sleeved swimshirt and long swim leggings.

As someone whose natural skin color could be described as "pale as death," I'm curious about the swim leggings you mentioned. Where did you find them and do you like them?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gmerick said:

Main reef safe sunblock ingredient is Zinc Oxide -- It's white.  Sometimes manufacturers add Titanium dioxide - it's even whiter.  If the particles of either ingredient are reduced to extreme smallness (nano-particles), it sometimes decreases the whiteness, but some say nano particles aren't safe health-wise, nor nature-wise.

As post#2 says - wear a dive skin or other UVA/B blocking clothing.

As for the Hawaiian tropic stuff:  They leave out two of the worst reef damaging chemicals, but watch out for the other active ingredients:

image.png.12d3c3b9e718f5d8e41dbdf7d250bc52.png

image.thumb.png.8b543748c809e95b894fe0cac1215740.png

Thank you for this information. You just saved me from spending more money on Super Goop. It came up on the reef friendly search and I was only looking at the 2 ingredients to not be there.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Florida Glamazon said:

Seeking recommendations for a reef safe sunscreen that doesn't 

* leave me burned

*make me look like Casper's paler sister

*refuse to budge off my skin with soap and water

*make my acne prone skin get coated in grease/oil

It seems like every recommended reef safe sunscreen has ingredients that are NOT reef safe (like SunBum, Coola) or the verified purchaser reviews show people burnt like lobsters/saying they had to use a scratchy kitchen scrub sponge to get it off/complaining that it ruined their clothes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated- We are going to St. Thomas/St. John, St. Martin & Coco Cay.

As one, who burns really good after they get out of the water, I would love to know.  At this point, I've given up on most products.  I usually where a long sleeve rash guard and take the burn to my face.  I don't like applying sun screen to my face as I do swim and find that whatever the product is, it gets in my eyes and hurts like heck.  So, I just avoid it and use the rash guard for my body.  If anyone knows anything reef safe that you can apply to your face and actually go into the water and swim, I'd love to know.

• Like 1

I like Hello Bello kids.  Yes- you have to rub it in and there is some white left behind.  But tolerable.  I use the cream.  The more you reapply the worse it is.  Comes off OK in the shower- needs rubbed but not like you have to take a layer of skin off.  Bonus it smells great!   CeraVe has a 30 SPF tinted face hydrating sunscreen.  Looks great, feels light- but the tint can transfer if you've been sweating it out.  Tried a few for our time in the USVI's. 

• Like 1

We recently spent 3 weeks on Maui, where reef-safe sunscreen is also required. The locals there advise that travelers just buy the product once on the island, since only this type of sunscreen is available for sale. That way, you know whatever you buy is safe. That doesn’t address the “not Casper” element, and may not apply to all locations,but it’s worth checking to see if your destination only allows the sale of reef-safe sunscreen since that will ensure you are, at least, getting the proper product. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rudeney said:

I'm not saying that sun exposure is can't be harmful, but I somehow have this gut feeling that the sunscreen industry has been taking advantage of us for years.  The rate of skin cancer continues to increase and is much higher now than back in the 60's and 70's before we had these high-index sunscreens.

I had skin cancer on my armpit which never sees the sun, so I think you may be on to something.  I also wonder if the sun avoidance over the past 20-30 years is why so many are suffering from Vitamin D deficiencies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rubyfisch said:

As someone whose natural skin color could be described as "pale as death," I'm curious about the swim leggings you mentioned. Where did you find them and do you like them?

We always buy ours at scuba dot com - have been using them for years.

• Thanks 2

This is what we use.  Rocky Mountain Sunscreen used to be supplier to US Ski Team since it works great at high altitudes.  Apply before leaving ship and let dry.  Doesn't wash off in sea water and lasts 4 hours for us.   Never had to reapply unless staying more than 4 hours in sun.  The key is to have it completely dry before entering water.  They have stronger versions but SPF30 is thinner and easier to apply.  No smell.  Local grocery sells this in small tubes but got expensive that way.  Now can get it on Amazon.  We buy quart and it lasts a few years.

https://www.amazon.com/Rocky-Mountain-Sunscreen-Regular-Quart/dp/B007HMCXYU/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=1XWGOV7E8S5GK&keywords=rocky+mountain+sunscreen&qid=1662998772&sprefix=rocky+mountain+suns%2Caps%2C1388&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=A3EVJLKVCKQUOI&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzR1lRSExGR1c5TlpQJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzgwNzg5MTZXNDlRS1NPT1hNSyZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTU4Njg1MkhPUlg2NDBQMEVaWCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 2

12 hours ago, gmerick said:

If the particles of either ingredient are reduced to extreme smallness (nano-particles), it sometimes decreases the whiteness, but some say nano particles aren't safe health-wise, nor nature-wise.

Is there a list of products at do/dont use nano particles?  I'm guessing that the ingredient labels will not list it  😐

1 hour ago, moposh said:

Banana Boat spray is reef safe.

Not for the USVI as the OP mentioned are some stops on their trip.  Banana boat spray contains octocrylene which is banned. 

13 hours ago, monorail81 said:

We use Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch. 

Also contains octocrylene. Not allowed in USVI.

13 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Beach Bum is a good one.

Unless you're talking about the Sun Bum mineral sunscreen, this also contains octocrylene.

53 minutes ago, OCSC Mike said:

Walmart brand (Equate) SPF 50 has always worked for me

Best broad spectrum protection out of the ones suggested, but also contains octocrylene.

36 minutes ago, LeeW said:

Rocky Mountain Sunscreen

Contains octocrylene 

Your only options are to wear UV protective clothing or to use a mineral sunscreen which will leave a white residue on your skin.  It appears not sufficient scientific research has been conducted to determine the real-world effects of all chemicals that exist in traditional sunscreen products.  Consumer Reports wrote a nice article about this.

https://www.consumerreports.org/sunscreen/the-truth-about-reef-safe-sunscreen-a3578637894/

• Like 1