no show question

LadyBerard

Cruising soon, and my friend that I'm rooming with has cold symptoms.  Took an at home test yesterday and it was negative, took another today, and it was  positive.  She's going to go get a pcr test today.  IF she is positive, obviously, she is not going.  I do want to still go.  When I check in at the pier, do I notify them that she is a no show or not say anything?  I understand that no shows should receive port fees and gov. taxes back.  

On another note, we do have travel insurance (not RCL's insurance).

1 minute ago, CaptainBazz said:

Are you sailing somewhere that requires a covid test, Canada, Bermuda, Europe? If not you don't need a test to board the ship.

Canada/NE cruise.  I'm also assuming that if she is a  no show, RCL will refund her refreshment package and her wifi pkg.  Yes?

9 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Canada/NE cruise.  I'm also assuming that if she is a  no show, RCL will refund her refreshment package and her wifi pkg.  Yes?

Yes, taxes and fees as well as any cruise planner purchases will be refunded.  Unless you officially cancel her you probably will not be able to make a claim on your insurance.

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

From other threads, I have the impression your friend will receive her refreshment and wifi package refunds quicker if she cancels them herself in her cruise planner…that’s assuming she decides she is not going while she is still able to cancel them via cruise planner. It should be refunded either way, just a question of efficiency.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

From other threads, I have the impression your friend will receive her refreshment and wifi package refunds quicker if she cancels them herself in her cruise planner…that’s assuming she decides she is not going while she is still able to cancel them via cruise planner. It should be refunded either way, just a question of efficiency.

I actually advised her to cancel those today, as she could always repurchase them if  she does test negative two days prior to the cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LadyBerard said:

I actually advised her to cancel those today, as she could always repurchase them if  she does test negative two days prior to the cruise.

Be careful.  Prices on those items varies.  Perhaps she has locked in a good price some time ago.  If she cancels now she loses that price and would have to repurchase at the prevailing rate.  It could cost her some real $…or not if prices are the same.

Also I believe at some point, they close the cruise planner for pre-cruise purchases and/or cancellations. I do not know the timeframe; maybe another poster will know the cruise planner details.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

I believe this policy is still in place:

What if I am not feeling well in the days leading up to my cruise? What if I test positive for COVID-19 before my cruise?

A

If you feel ill in the days before your cruise, you should not travel. In the event you or any member of your traveling party tests positive for COVID-19 in the 10 days before your cruise departs, or at the boarding terminal, you and your traveling party will receive a refund as outlined in our COVID-19 Assistance program.

19 minutes ago, CaptainBazz said:

Are you sailing somewhere that requires a covid test, Canada, Bermuda, Europe? If not you don't need a test to board the ship.

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ignorant posts I've read.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, LadyBerard said:

Cruising soon, and my friend that I'm rooming with has cold symptoms.  Took an at home test yesterday and it was negative, took another today, and it was  positive.  She's going to go get a pcr test today.  IF she is positive, obviously, she is not going.  I do want to still go.  When I check in at the pier, do I notify them that she is a no show or not say anything?  I understand that no shows should receive port fees and gov. taxes back.  

On another note, we do have travel insurance (not RCL's insurance).

I went through this in May.  Sorry for the long post but want to save you time.  One of my son’s friends could not go so he was a “no show”.  He was not able to cancel his drink package ahead of time because everyone in the room must have the package.  Therefore after reading things on cruise critic we waited until we arrived to take care of things.  At the pier we told them he wasn’t coming and they didn’t seem to really care or do anything different.  Once aboard I went to guest services and they told me they could do nothing and I had to call shoreside offices.  So then I went to the concierge and she said she was fairly certain it would all be refunded once the cruise ended and that if I wanted to call a week or so after the cruise to be certain I should probably do that.  Fast forward to almost 3 weeks later I received a refund automatically for everything!  Hopefully this will all workout for you too!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ksp819 said:

I went through this in May.  Sorry for the long post but want to save you time.  One of my son’s friends could not go so he was a “no show”.  He was not able to cancel his drink package ahead of time because everyone in the room must have the package.  Therefore after reading things on cruise critic we waited until we arrived to take care of things.  At the pier we told them he wasn’t coming and they didn’t seem to really care or do anything different.  Once aboard I went to guest services and they told me they could do nothing and I had to call shoreside offices.  So then I went to the concierge and she said she was fairly certain it would all be refunded once the cruise ended and that if I wanted to call a week or so after the cruise to be certain I should probably do that.  Fast forward to almost 3 weeks later I received a refund automatically for everything!  Hopefully this will all workout for you too!

She was able to purchase the refreshment package without me purchasing it.  A couple weeks later, I did purchase the coffee card.

1 hour ago, dubois said:

I'm sorry, but this is one of the most ignorant posts I've read.

No need to apologize...everyone is entitled to their opinion...I presume that you are one of those people that for the rest of your life will always test prior to taking a cruise to make sure you don't have covid and will cancel if you do...even though you don't need to. 

1 hour ago, CaptainBazz said:

No need to apologize...everyone is entitled to their opinion...I presume that you are one of those people that for the rest of your life will always test prior to taking a cruise to make sure you don't have covid and will cancel if you do...even though you don't need to. 

Pretty sure there's a significant difference between testing for COVID pre-cruise if you are feeling well versus testing because you experience symptoms, test positive and knowingly get on the ship with COVID.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CaptainBazz said:

That is the responsible thing to do. Adulting is sometimes hard. You have to make responsible decisions that sometimes go against what you want. Being an adult means you have outgrown the me-me-me-centered attitude of a toddler.

Same thing with flu, measles, mumps, whooping cough, rsv, any communicable disease that could cause death or serious illness to others. You should cancel if you have an active, positive infection.

Edited by cured
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I cancelled a cruise in August because I tested positive for Covid 9 days before the cruise.  RC refunded all my money within a week.  Had to send them documentation from doctor.   If it is within 10 days of the cruise, she should get all her money back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

Do you have someone else who would go and pay your friend back?

Unfortunately I do not.  Husband is out of vacation time as are my grown daughters.  My male cousin has his own room on the ship.  If he was not going, I would just cancel the cruise for us, but he booked because we were going and he would have someone to have dinner with, etc.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Won't the OP the be charged a singles rate ?

In my experience, not if she doesnt say anything about the no show.  I went through this last September with my mom on an Alaskan cruise.  They asked me where she was at check in.  I told them her flight was late.  Never heard another word about it., I still have her Seapass card for a cruise she didnt even go on lol  

Edited by ryano

On 9/21/2022 at 8:23 AM, LadyBerard said:

When I check in at the pier, do I notify them that she is a no show or not say anything?  I understand that no shows should receive port fees and gov. taxes back.  

I went through this last September with my mom on an Alaskan cruise.  She couldnt go.  At check in, they asked me where she was and I just told them her flight was late.  I didnt say ANYTHING about she wasnt coming in fear of getting charged a single rate.  I never heard another word and still have her Seapass card for a cruise she didnt even take. She got her taxes and fees back. 

2 minutes ago, ryano said:

In my experience, not if she doesnt say anything about the no show.  I went through this last September with my mom on an Alaskan cruise.  They asked me where she was at check in.  I told them her flight was late.  Never heard another word about it., I still have her Seapass card for a cruise she didnt even go on lol  

21 minutes ago, Shippy said:

Won't the OP the be charged a singles rate ?

I think the OP and her cabinmate have a couple choices.  If cabinmate wants to make a claim on travel insurance, the cabinmate needs to cancel; that might cause the OP to be charged the single rate.  

Or the cabinmate could be a no-show and the cabinmates negotiate the $ privately.

2 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

I think the OP and her cabinmate have a couple choices.  If cabinmate wants to make a claim on travel insurance, the cabinmate needs to cancel; that might cause the OP to be charged the single rate.  

Or the cabinmate could be a no-show and the cabinmates negotiate the $ privately.

She will get $ credited back to her cc from RCL, and I will give her the difference out of pocket for what she paid.  

19 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Usually, if you cancel for a positive COVID test for a refund, the entire booking is canceled - the OP still wants to go.

If you don't live together and you haven't been exposed to Covid, you should be able to keep your booking.  However, RC may adjust your cost to reflect a single booking.