Current Lists of Wine on Board (2022/23)

luv2travel90266

3 minutes ago, beatnix said:

@luv2travel90266

We are planning to do this on our next cruise in Spain and Portugal. So I have some questions.

Did you finish your bottles at the restaurant? Is it possible to leave it, if not finished, like the bottles bought on board?

Do you think it is possible to cool the wine in the fridge in the room, or are they too small?

Thanks in advance, 

Beate 

They will happily keep your wine until you want it again. It doesn’t matter which restaurant you choose, if you ask, your wine will be served. 

For wine that you want refrigerated, if you know what restaurant you’ll be dining in, have a word with the Maitre’d in advance and he or she will chill it for you.

• Thanks 1

My wife does not drink, so I typically finished only half the bottle opened. Took the unfinished bottle back to my room and put in the refrigerator. When I came the next night for dinner, I just told the staff I already paid the corkage. No additional charge and they didn’t have to search for the bottle. Very easy!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, luv2travel90266 said:

My wife does not drink, so I typically finished only half the bottle opened. Took the unfinished bottle back to my room and put in the refrigerator. When I came the next night for dinner, I just told the staff I already paid the corkage. No additional charge and they didn’t have to search for the bottle. Very easy!

Thanks for this (and your prior post).  It's good to know that Azamara treats its customers like adults, and trusts them too.  Another non-reduction in service!

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I know this is off-topic, but this thread seems to be where wine-focused folks hang out. I'm looking into putting together some AU/NZ wine tours for the 2024 WC roll call and am wondering whether any of you have favorite wineries or tours to recommend. We'll be in Bay of Islands, Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hobart, Eden, Sydney, Mooloolaba, Airlie Beach, and Cairns.

Thanks so much for any and all advice, and if there's another thread where this has already been discussed please feel free to point me to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

I know this is off-topic, but this thread seems to be where wine-focused folks hang out. I'm looking into putting together some AU/NZ wine tours for the 2024 WC roll call and am wondering whether any of you have favorite wineries or tours to recommend. We'll be in Bay of Islands, Auckland, Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Picton, Christchurch, Dunedin, Hobart, Eden, Sydney, Mooloolaba, Airlie Beach, and Cairns.

Thanks so much for any and all advice, and if there's another thread where this has already been discussed please feel free to point me to it.

Hi @IslandThyme!  
We did a cruise to NZ on Azamara back in 2017.  We did a couple of wine tours with Azamara (their excursions, not private ones).  
Napier:  we went to wineries in Hawks Bay…..Mission Estate Winery with beautiful gardens, Sileni Estates an one another that I don’t remember the name of.

Marlborough:  we did a wine luncheon at Brancott Estate out of Port of Picton.  Enjoyed the wines and the lunch.

Hope this helps somewhat.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2023 at 1:25 PM, IslandThyme said:

Back in 2015, we went on a shore excursion (cruise line was not Azamara) that visited two wineries out of PIcton: Cloudy Bay and Wither Hills.  Cloudy Bay was set up to allow us to taste five wines; I can't remember how many wines were offered at Wither Hills, but they bottle Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.   I've been a fan of Cloudy Bay for years.  Wither Hills was new to me.  I don't think either winery offered a meal on this excursion.

Edited by IDLnyc
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2023 at 1:25 PM, IslandThyme said:

We were in Australia on Oceania Vista this past December/January .

For HOBART.....we used I Wander Tasmania....Jarrod is the owner.  Email... vacation@ iwandertassie.com.  I had 8 people.  We saw HOBART..went up Mt Wellington  and then did several wineries.  He has 8t set up that each couple could pay separately so I didn't have to be gatekeeper.  He actually ran 2 busses that day. The other group went to nature stuff.

For SYDNEY.....we had the most amazing day with 3 wineries.  We are still talking about it. It was a Chef's Tour (Chef Jimmy) Very early start. Sydney Fish Market. Then we stopped to have chef cooked breakfast In Brooklyn, Australia. Was amazing.  After breakfast We had a sushi rolling class where we all made our own sushi and it was kept for us in cooler to be eaten at last winery.  We stopped at Ernest Hill Winery,  then onto Pokolbin Winer (with food) then on to Saddlers Creek Winery  (with food).  The back of his van is outfitted with a cooking station.....doesn't run the tour everycday but if you, definitely take it.   GOURMET GETWAY TOURS. 

• Like 1

We just got off the Quest from Athens to Istanbul (May 28 to June 9). We enjoyed the ultimate drink package. We probably could have gotten more value by drinking more 🙂 but we enjoyed what we had - typically half a bottle each for lunch and for dinner and sometimes champagne in the living room and/or den.

The champagne was mediocre, Nicolas Feuillatte, even though they "said" that they had Chandon which we could not locate anywhere. The Cabernet was Borne of Fire from Washington State, another meh wine. We did enjoy the Whispering Angel Rose mainly for lunches on the patio and fairly often finished a bottle between the two of us 🙂 🙂! We also enjoyed mainly for dinner with Mediterranean fare, the Sauvignon Blancs from New Zealand - Map Maker and Kim Crawford and another one that I did not note. 

• Like 3

Moet was available on Onward last year. Each ship seems to have a different champagne on the Ultimate Package. I wait with interest to see what is available on Pursuit in November?

• 2 weeks later...

So since I cannot contact folks at Azamara for any reason, I will put my info request to you all:  my understanding is that wine is served "gratis" at lunch and dinner.  And yet I see many of you referencing one "package" or another.  Is the complimentary wine not worth it?  In the past (on other lines) we bring our own or purchase ashore and pay the corkage.  Is it preferable to purchase a package?  The menus or lists are not available anywhere that I can locate.  Sailing Journey in August and Quest in Sept.  Thanks for your input.

Wine and other alcoholic beverages are available throughout the day, not just lunch and dinner.

We have been able to find one of the included wines satisfactory on most occasions.

Packages should include more expensive wines. Items listed in packages are often substituted.

Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Thanks.  Some kind soul directed me to the wine lists (don't know how current they are) for AZ.  They are not THE wine lists, but the packages.  I must say I am underwhelmed.  I am a Californian who used to manage a tasting room and my spouse and I maintain a small cellar.  So.  I have a bunch of OBC to use and nothing else to spend them on, really.  So probably wine and corkage.  I don't know if there is a decent wine retailer in Edinburgh or ANYWHERE near the port in Amsterdam but I have found them elsewhere.  If anyone knows of such places, I am all ears.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, desertgrl74 said:

I am a Californian who used to manage a tasting room and my spouse and I maintain a small cellar.  So.  I have a bunch of OBC to use and nothing else to spend them on, really.  So probably wine and corkage.

That sounds like a good plan. 😊

It could be worthwhile talking to the Sommelier on board.

Edited by Baynanno1

I started this string of posts 271 posts ago. Call me a wine snob. I do blind tastings monthly.  I have wines I drink in my cellar of 1500 bottles from $20-$300/bottle. Azamara labeled wines are not quaffable in my opinion. Their offerings in their packages are substandard. Others found them fine which is great for them. After my 1st Azamara cruise  I didn’t upgrade the wine package and at each stop found a wine store on google, brought the wines back and paid the very reasonable corkage. Love the ships, crew, food, itineraries so figured out how to keep myself happy. Don’t ask me about the internet 😵‍💫

7 hours ago, desertgrl74 said:

Thanks.  Some kind soul directed me to the wine lists (don't know how current they are) for AZ.  They are not THE wine lists, but the packages.  I must say I am underwhelmed.  I am a Californian who used to manage a tasting room and my spouse and I maintain a small cellar.  So.  I have a bunch of OBC to use and nothing else to spend them on, really.  So probably wine and corkage.  I don't know if there is a decent wine retailer in Edinburgh or ANYWHERE near the port in Amsterdam but I have found them elsewhere.  If anyone knows of such places, I am all ears.

In Edinburgh, I'd suggest:

• Like 1

In Amsterdam you could try these:

>Chabrol Wines, Haarlemmerstraat 7, 1013 EH Amsterdam (http://www.chabrolwines.com/)

>Cave Rokin, Rokin 60, 1012 KV Amsterdam (http://www.caverokin.com/)

>Troppo Wine Store,  Binnen Dommersstraat 22-24, 1013 HL Amsterdam (https://www.troppogiovane.nl/)

All are fairly close to the Cruise Terminal. Enjoy.

• Like 2