Heading on NE / Canada cruise. $ question

Coachyo

We're in Saint John this Tuesday for a day and at the nearby City Market, indoor merchants cheerfully accept USD in lieu of CAD with the exchange rate of 100 USD to 120 CAD.  Depending on where & how you exchange to/from - it's closer to 100 USD to 132-134 CAD, i.e. there are bank ATM's nearby (shopping center)   We previous exchanged ours (been a while) at 100 to 130.  

Local small businesses & merchants prefer CAD but since they are happy to see cruise ship passengers returning in numbers, they gladly take USD at or near the above rate of 100 to 120.  CC transactions typically cost them 3% in fees on average +/- plus other associated expenses, nothing is free.  

If you are an AAA (auto club) member, I believe currency exchange services are available - call ahead & check to find out ... we could've walk to one that happened to be near us, don't even need to drive over.  Banks do it selectively, ask & check.  Never did see any official currency exchange places near the ports ... just don't do it at the airport CE as they give the worst deal for the convenience.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coachyo said:

Should I get Canadian money for whien we are in port for meals, excursions and tips?

If so where is best place to get it? Home before hand or in port?

Thanks, CoachYO

You don't need Canadian money, but just be aware, the exchange rate maybe bad if you pay in US dollars.  Most places took credit cards. For example, the funicular in Quebec City was $4 - that was the same in Canadian dollars or US dollars. That's not much of a difference (only $1), but other places it might be more.

Also if you use a taxi, ask if they take credit cards before entering. We were ripped off by a taxi driver leaving the cruise ship. She claimed she didn't take credit cards and then lied about the amount because all we had was US dollars. 

Nice thing about the tips at restaurants, the hand held credit card machines had the percentage amount to select if you select tip, so we didn't have to figure out the math in our head.

**A thing my friend learned, Discover is rarely taken in Canada, maybe just the major big cities.

When we were there two weeks ago, They gladly took our US dollars, but gave us change back in Canadian dollars. If the store has everything priced in Canadian dollars, the item comes out cheaper when you pay with your US dollars. We were told by a couple of vendors that it is better to use our credit card because the credit card company will figure out the exchange. You will be charged the full amount Canadian initially, but ultimately end up paying less. It was a little confusing. Some of the change we got back included one and two dollar coins. So be aware if you spend your change some place else.

We also found that some places did not bother with the exchange rate if you used cash. You have to ask, or just make it easier for yourself and use a credit card.

2 hours ago, genealogyfan said:

You don't need Canadian money, but just be aware, the exchange rate maybe bad if you pay in US dollars.  Most places took credit cards. For example, the funicular in Quebec City was $4 - that was the same in Canadian dollars or US dollars. That's not much of a difference (only $1), but other places it might be more.

Also if you use a taxi, ask if they take credit cards before entering. We were ripped off by a taxi driver leaving the cruise ship. She claimed she didn't take credit cards and then lied about the amount because all we had was US dollars. 

Nice thing about the tips at restaurants, the hand held credit card machines had the percentage amount to select if you select tip, so we didn't have to figure out the math in our head.

**A thing my friend learned, Discover is rarely taken in Canada, maybe just the major big cities.

Discover cards are not issued in Canada  We only have Visa, Mastercard, and American Express. Our Dinners Club are actually Mastercard. 

Some retailers have merchant accounts that only accept Visa, Mastercard.  Many these days are also setup for AMEX.   A good number (especially in the tourism industry) are setup to accept all the foreign regional cards (e.g., Discover, JCB, China UnionPay).  

If you use a credit card from a US bank, the merchant will get paid in Canadian dollars and the bank will do the consecration.  One Canadian dollar will convert into costing you around 75 cents US.  

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why on God's green earth does exchange rate matter in any of this?

Main reason is if you have US$ and you need to pay for something in CDN$ you need to exchange money either physically or virtually.  

A restaurant or shop in Canada is not a bank.  If they accept US$ they will use a fairly fixed rate and will likely need to bad the rate a bit to deal with the hassle of working with US$.   

Your credit card company rate will be based on your card plan.  For me it is 3% fee that is hidden in the rate.

• Like 1

We were able to pay USD in every port when we were there 2 weeks ago. They gave us a discount and they gave us change in Canadian currency. 

When USD wasn’t accepted, I paid using my Apple Card which doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. If the credit card terminal asks to charge in USD or Canadian, choose Canadian. I got a better exchange rate on the Apple Card than having the merchant do the exchange. 

14 hours ago, em-sk said:

Main reason is if you have US$ and you need to pay for something in CDN$ you need to exchange money either physically or virtually.  

A restaurant or shop in Canada is not a bank.  If they accept US$ they will use a fairly fixed rate and will likely need to bad the rate a bit to deal with the hassle of working with US$.   

Your credit card company rate will be based on your card plan.  For me it is 3% fee that is hidden in the rate.

I unless you are buying a diamond ring in Canada, the exchange rate for some food or souvenirs is pretty irrelevant.  

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

We also all live in Igloos and ride polar bears to work in Canada. 

Exchange US dollars for CDN at home at your bank or exchange place, CDN dollar is ridiculously low compared to the US dollar, or use your credit card. 

You can't let that secret out.  If the tourists were to find out the polar bears are domesticated, they would all want rides.  🙂 

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

Exchange US dollars for CDN at home at your bank or exchange place, CDN dollar is ridiculously low compared to the US dollar, or use your credit card. 

I'll ask (again)...

18 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Why on God's green earth does exchange rate matter in any of this?

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, JustAPilot said:

We also all live in Igloos and ride polar bears to work in Canada. 

For some reasons Americans think that their $ will be accepted by everyone in the most remote places on the planet. I can name dozens of places in Italy where nobody has ever seen a US dollar and would not accept one - or a credit card for that matter. Bite the bullet and exchange for some local currency.

For those Americans who have military friends / relatives stationed in Aviano, Italy - ask them where exactly in Friuli their American dollars are accepted?

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

I'll ask (again)...

Because many merchants will accept USD, but will exchange dollar for dollar and give change in Canadian. If you’re buying something worth $200 Canadian, it is only worth around $150 USD and you are losing out on fifty bucks. 

30 minutes ago, ZoeyRox said:

Because many merchants will accept USD, but will exchange dollar for dollar and give change in Canadian. If you’re buying something worth $200 Canadian, it is only worth around $150 USD and you are losing out on fifty bucks. 

No way!!  Who would be stupid enough to fall for that?