Five Star Mariner Dining

dmcfad2

I am hoping one of the 5* mariners on this board can answer my question. We made 5 star on our last cruise. One of the perks is a free specialty restaurant dinner. On my upcoming cruise, I would like to book that complimentary dinner ahead of time. When I go to the dining options to reserve, they want to charge me. Do I pay ahead of time and then get credited back on my statement when I get onboard? I’m guessing it has to be that way since it doesn’t give me the complimentary option when booking. Thanks for any help.

17 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I am hoping one of the 5* mariners on this board can answer my question. We made 5 star on our last cruise. One of the perks is a free specialty restaurant dinner. On my upcoming cruise, I would like to book that complimentary dinner ahead of time. When I go to the dining options to reserve, they want to charge me. Do I pay ahead of time and then get credited back on my statement when I get onboard? I’m guessing it has to be that way since it doesn’t give me the complimentary option when booking. Thanks for any help.

Actually, two free dinners.

You are correct.  Your Specialty restaurant credit will be one of the first entries on your onboard account.

To be safe, do not make your reservations until onboard.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you pay and then can get reimbursed. However, getting reimbursed is something you likely will have to be proactive about. First, let the Maître 'd know as soon as possible that you are 5*, and want the dinner you booked to be fully comped. I usually do that the day I board. 
Then, when you go to dinner that night, remind the steward that the meal is supposed to be no charge, due to your 5* status. 

Keep track of your billing that the money charged has been refunded, and refunded in full. On at least one occasion I have had only 1/2 the money credited back (as if I were a 4* Mariner). IIRC, that took 2 or three trips to the Front Desk before it was finally straightened out. They didn't even understand how I believed I was short-changed, as if they had never heard of that particular 5* perq. 
This was not when 5* was new, either. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Charleston Lady said:

Yes,  as said above, be sure you check this on your account. I have had to "be proactive" about this on all 3 ships sailed since covid. Staff is not familiar with Mariner benefits. 

We always worked it out, just takes persistence!😊

This has been our experience as well.  I watch our onboard account closely and am proactive.  I totally agree that it also takes persistence!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Actually, two free dinners.

You are correct.  Your Specialty restaurant credit will be one of the first entries on your onboard account.

To be safe, do not make your reservations until onboard.

I agree.  I try to prebook as little as possible ahead because I get tired of fighting to get what is owed to me.

• Like 5

Thank you all! I usually wait until I’m onboard to book dining, but this is a last minute 7 day cruise we just booked and most of the earlier times are taken (I don’t like eating too late). I do think I will wait until I’m on board and just take my chances that there will be an opening earlier. I appreciate all of the info! 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

Thank you all! I usually wait until I’m onboard to book dining, but this is a last minute 7 day cruise we just booked and most of the earlier times are taken (I don’t like eating too late). I do think I will wait until I’m on board and just take my chances that there will be an opening earlier. I appreciate all of the info! 

Since the restart of cruising, I have noticed that there is now an Embarkation Day Specialty Restaurant booking podium near the Hydrotherapy Pool entrance that might save some waiting in the long lines across from the Pinnacle Grill.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, dmcfad2 said:

I highly recommend visiting the matre d at the dining option you want.  Even when the online schedule shows the venue full, I've been able to get a booking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too hate having to fight for getting the credit deserved. On my last cruise, I booked the first night ahead fully knowing, I would not see a credit. And for the other nights I brought along a list of the dates, restaurants and times and asked the Neptune Lounge Concierge to book for me upon boarding. Traveling solo, I usually eat all dinners in Specialty Restaurants.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, RuthC said:

IIRC, that took 2 or three trips to the Front Desk before it was finally straightened out. They didn't even understand how I believed I was short-changed, as if they had never heard of that particular 5* perq. 

And I will bet you ONE Pinnacle Dinner that they blamed it all on the "night auditor" 😁 That person, whoever they are, seemed to be responsible for most on-board account problems we have encountered. 😁

• Haha 6

11 hours ago, Crew News said:

Since the restart of cruising, I have noticed that there is now an Embarkation Day Specialty Restaurant booking podium near the Hydrotherapy Pool entrance that might save some waiting in the long lines across from the Pinnacle Grill.

Good info. Thank you!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

And I will bet you ONE Pinnacle Dinner that they blamed it all on the "night auditor" 😁 That person, whoever they are, seemed to be responsible for most on-board account problems we have encountered. 😁

I don't take bets I can't possibly win. 😉

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, RuthC said:

Yes, you pay and then can get reimbursed. However, getting reimbursed is something you likely will have to be proactive about. First, let the Maître 'd know as soon as possible that you are 5*, and want the dinner you booked to be fully comped. I usually do that the day I board. 
Then, when you go to dinner that night, remind the steward that the meal is supposed to be no charge, due to your 5* status. 

Keep track of your billing that the money charged has been refunded, and refunded in full. On at least one occasion I have had only 1/2 the money credited back (as if I were a 4* Mariner). IIRC, that took 2 or three trips to the Front Desk before it was finally straightened out. They didn't even understand how I believed I was short-changed, as if they had never heard of that particular 5* perq. 

Hi Ruth!  Thank you for the info...I printed it out will take it with me on our Koningsdam California Coast cruise in November.  It is what the reservations rep told me when I booked ahead.  We did not book "Have it All"  this time, and, because the ship looked to be heavily booked, I decided to book ahead.  I am sorry that it will appear to be a hassle, but since we are not doing excursions, I will have plenty of time to spend at guest services.  We are not in a Neptune this time, and I found in the past that the special" Club Orange" line was a waste of time anyway.

You are the best, Ruth!

Karen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

To get these straightened  out, I have had success using the Navigator "Let us Know" feature - saves me waiting around the front desk -  Type in your issue and they will get it fixed - it may take a day or two, but unless you are near the end of the cruise I am in no hurry. 

It's always worked for me and beats standing in line. 

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

Traveling solo, I usually eat all dinners in Specialty Restaurants.

Hi There,

I am travelling on Koningsdam solo this November. It will be my first time as a solo passenger out of all my previous 24 or so cruises.  Can you explain why you do this? I was thinking about doing this as well....... 

Thanks

Steve

1 hour ago, iramack said:

Hi There,

I am travelling on Koningsdam solo this November. It will be my first time as a solo passenger out of all my previous 24 or so cruises.  Can you explain why you do this? I was thinking about doing this as well....... 

Thanks

Steve

When I travel solo, I prefer eating when the restaurant opens, the service is better when only one person, the food is usually better than in the MDR, and when I am solo, I am not a big socializer. I like to do what I like to do when I like to do it. Sounds weird but that is me. 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, SJSULIBRARIAN said:

When I travel solo, I prefer eating when the restaurant opens, the service is better when only one person, the food is usually better than in the MDR, and when I am solo, I am not a big socializer. I like to do what I like to do when I like to do it. Sounds weird but that is me. 

Doesn’t sound weird at all.  I get absolutely drained by being around others for periods of time.  I get recharged by being alone.  I don’t think some get that.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

So still playing email tag with "Guess" Services. Do they know what their website and Mariner Rewards are? Waiting for credit on 2 dinners we had months ago that were supposed to be credited onboard. Initial email says they will gladly credit me 50% for being a 5 star Mariner. Here is Hal's response:

"Please be advised under Mariner Loyalty Rewards, We only cover 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges at Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind and Canaletto"

Make sure you bring a copy of the Rewards and speak with Restaurant manager (and actually get credit before disembarkment). 

2 hours ago, REOVA said:

So still playing email tag with "Guess" Services. Do they know what their website and Mariner Rewards are? Waiting for credit on 2 dinners we had months ago that were supposed to be credited onboard. Initial email says they will gladly credit me 50% for being a 5 star Mariner. Here is Hal's response:

"Please be advised under Mariner Loyalty Rewards, We only cover 50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges at Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind and Canaletto"

Make sure you bring a copy of the Rewards and speak with Restaurant manager (and actually get credit before disembarkment). 

If you are five star then you are entitled to a full refund if charged in full while on board. I don’t know of a specific website for Guest Services. I am currently trying to get a credit back for similar issue with Guest Services but for only a partial credit for dining at PG.

Bottom line per my experience the whole process for five star mariners is terrible. If you are on a cruise less than ten days you need to book these restaurants prior to boarding to get times you wish to dine. That means you have to prepay for the dinner. Recently sailed on NS for 14 days and dined at PG four times. I prepaid a total of $368. Each time we dined at PG I informed the person checking us in that I had prepaid for the PG dinner and that I require a credit back of $92 since I was five star Mariner. Never happened. Had to visit Guest Services onboard four times to request credit to my account. Unfortunately the last request was on Friday night, the day before disembarkation, since we had just completed dinner at the PG; so never received credit.

This happens on every cruise !!!!