Why did Carnival ask for our TSA precheck numbers?

Bollycats

I noticed it on our Oct. 2021 cruise checkin and I believe Carnival started asking for TSA PreCheck numbers when cruising restarted in 2021. It didn't gain us anything, but based on the timing I assumed it's related to CBP checks and the facial scanners they are using now. It probably speeds the governments ID verification process. Just a guess.

56 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

They didn't ask for it for our November or February cruise. No idea why they would. TSA has nothing to do with cruise port security. (I know, on their website they claim they do, but that's just agency puffery.)

This is correct, but immigration (and more) also can use known traveler numbers to aid in identification.

As face recognition matures, I can see where we won't need physical passports 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

This is correct, but immigration (and more) also can use known traveler numbers to aid in identification.

As face recognition matures, I can see where we won't need physical passports 

Yes, it is possible that CBP (not immigration) might be able to use the number to shorten the search in that database by a few seconds. If the time comes when we won't need physical passports I suspect that is a long way in the future.

20 hours ago, Bollycats said:

I did the check-in for my Carnival Sunshine cruise in 2 weeks. It asked for our TSA PreCheck numbers which I provided. Does that help expedite disembarkation somehow? Is there a separate line like there is at the airport?

You do not have to provide any private travel info to Carnival if you do not want to. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Yes, it is possible that CBP (not immigration) might be able to use the number to shorten the search in that database by a few seconds. If the time comes when we won't need physical passports I suspect that is a long way in the future.

I don't know. We flew back from London a couple of weeks ago and immigration didn't even want to look at our passports. We just looked into the camera and they knew who we were.

28 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't know. We flew back from London a couple of weeks ago and immigration didn't even want to look at our passports. We just looked into the camera and they knew who we were.

Probably would have meant trouble had you not produced it when asked though (but only by being sent to secondary inspection). (And our experience was similar disembarking in Florida following a closed loop cruise using facial recognition.) Maybe if the time comes when they use facial recognition at check in it might be a reality.

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

"Hey!  I paid good money for this passport!  At least whip out that stamp and stamp me back in, buddy!"    😄  

[I was a little disappointed when Dutch Customs didn't stamp my passport upon entry...for my very first overseas trip.  On the way out, I mentioned that ruefully to the Customs agent and, with completely over-the-top ceremony and a wide grin, he proceeded to stamp my passport with a flourish.]  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, imacruiser99 said:

They are actually asking for the known traveler number, which could be TSA Pre-check, Global Entry, or any of the other government quick border access.  This information will probably be shared with CBP to probably expedite getting thru customs even more.

All passengers are vetted during the cruise so by the time the ship disembarks they've all been checked (at least for closed loop cruises), so even without those numbers they have ample time to find someone in the database if needed. Customs has become a formality for declaring any purchases made (and since they've stopped handing out the declaration form it's sort of a moot point unless someone has made a large purchase). When we disembarked Legend in February they didn't even make a show of it, they stood outside of their checkpoints and waved everyone through.

Edited by sparks1093

19 hours ago, Pellaz said:

"Hey!  I paid good money for this passport!  At least whip out that stamp and stamp me back in, buddy!"    😄  

[I was a little disappointed when Dutch Customs didn't stamp my passport upon entry...for my very first overseas trip.  On the way out, I mentioned that ruefully to the Customs agent and, with completely over-the-top ceremony and a wide grin, he proceeded to stamp my passport with a flourish.]  

I am disappointed also.  The only stamp I have ever received is from Russia.  That was kinda exciting though.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:56 PM, Colorado Cruzer said:

I have never seen that info used and rarely even put it in unless I was to book a flight with carnival. No separate lines.

When I checked in online yesterday it was there.  First time I’ve ever seen it and the entire page seems to have been redesigned.  I think that cruise lines are using pre check TSA and in our case, Global Entry as another means of screening passengers.

Another theory: Years ago on one of Carnival's sister lines (Princess) our cruise had a noro outbreak and returned to our home port 2 days early. Princess rearranged our flights to be 2 days earlier for us. (We must have had input and approval on this, though I honestly don't remember)

Perhaps Carnival just wants your Pre-Check info so they can include it if they have to rebook your flights for you due to hurricane or other issues?