Open Dining is back

Poole Boy

Thanks for the heads up. Just went online and changed our preference to open dining. We're one of the minority on this board who find early too early and late too late. When I chose open dining however it said that tis would not be confirmed until we board., not sure why? 

Yes, thank you. We’re with ClefDor. Early is too early, and late is too late. As it appears the ship is still not running full, I can’t imagine it will be too difficult to get the two-top we want at a reasonable time. Everything was VERY easy in June, but the ship was at about 50% then. We’re just not too bothered no matter what. At least we won’t be working at the harvest or anything else for a week.

I agree with the too early too early late too late. We are set at 6:30 every night in this house. It provides time to relax, cook, eat and digest for a good night’s sleep. I’ll need to log in and see if I can change from early to Open. Thanks for the update.

HI I am due to cruise with Cunard in October and have just been sent an email offering open dining without any explanation of how this works. Can anyone enlighten me, for example is it still in the main Britannia Restaurant, do you sit with different people every time , do you have to book your time in advance? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am sailing solo this time and don't want to be 'alone' for dining each evening, having already opted for a table of 8 on first sitting.

38 minutes ago, SALAD MUNCHER said:

HI I am due to cruise with Cunard in October and have just been sent an email offering open dining without any explanation of how this works. Can anyone enlighten me, for example is it still in the main Britannia Restaurant, do you sit with different people every time , do you have to book your time in advance? Any info would be greatly appreciated as I am sailing solo this time and don't want to be 'alone' for dining each evening, having already opted for a table of 8 on first sitting.

According to an email I received today, they will still be offering early and late sittings.

• Like 1

QM2 has been offering it for 2nd(late) seating guests.   

From our travel documents here is what it says:

Dine any time from 7.45pm, with last orders at 9.00pm. Reservations can be made daily on board.

Table location and size are subject to availability and may vary by reservation. Guests may opt to dine with other guests, outside of their travelling party. Government guidelines on maximum numbers and household limits at the time of sailing apply.

• Like 1

it’s nice to see open dining in addition to early and late, should please everyone now.

What are the enhancements to Btit Club?

Also I notice on the new sample menu for Britannia it now has only two options for start and main, will this really be the case?

I doubt it.

Enjoy more choice than ever before with our elevated Britannia Club experience. Look forward to an enhanced menu and special, theatrical table side service celebrating some of our feature dishes, all of which you can enjoy from your own private, reserved table. The luxury continues in your stateroom with brand new complimentary mineral water, your own espresso coffee machine, sumptuous bathrobes, and other amenities.

At the bottom of the email:

Open Dining will be available from 3 October 2022 on Queen Elizabeth, 23 October 2022 on Queen Victoria, or 1 November 2022 on Queen Mary 2. Check My Cunard to choose your preferred dining time before you sail.

22 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

We will be attempting to book the same table, for the same seating time, for 24 nights of our 26 night sailing [two late excursions booked in Tromso].

Why not just go with fixed dining then? To me the whole advantage is that we can just show up when we want to 

1 hour ago, lissie said:

Why not just go with fixed dining then? To me the whole advantage is that we can just show up when we want to 

Currently the VP for my sailing has not been updated to indicate that a fixed late seating is available - implying that a new 'reservation' is needed for every night.

4 hours ago, exlondoner said:

I doubt it.

Enjoy more choice than ever before with our elevated Britannia Club experience. Look forward to an enhanced menu and special, theatrical table side service celebrating some of our feature dishes, all of which you can enjoy from your own private, reserved table. The luxury continues in your stateroom with brand new complimentary mineral water, your own espresso coffee machine, sumptuous bathrobes, and other amenities.

Interesting that is virtually the same as Princess Grill so are they going to upgrade the Princess Grill Experience and then the Queens Grill. The only difference in what is stated above for new experience in BC compared to PG is a slightly bigger stateroom, dedicated lounge and private deck area. For what you would save unless they upgrade PG it wont be worth booking and book BC instead and save money.

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

The menu in PG may be more extensive. The PG cabins are half as big again as BC ones, not just slightly larger. Unfortunately, except on QM2, they are a nasty shape and the extra space is wasted.

You also get the benefit of afternoon tea in the Grills Lounge and ability to to order off the PG menu fir delivery to your stateroom.  I agree with MajorTom though that the marketing description of the enhanced BC dining does appear to significantly narrow the gap between BC and PG.

Maybe Cunard will start to offer all Grills passengers a complimentary drinks package - they already offer it on some booking made in America already.

Edited by Se1lad
  • Like 1

I checked our booking this morning for the December TA and it reads we can dine anytime between 6:00 and 9:00.  Just what I want. Hopefully we can book the same table for every night.

Edited by techteach
Adding: This refers to Queen’s Grill

3 hours ago, gentlemancruiser said:

I believe the late seating is no longer a fixed seating.   

There are now three choices instead of the former two. Fixed seating early, fixed seating late and any time late. For those who wish to keep the same table throughout the entire cruise late. it is doubtful that the maître 'd will keep a table empty for  the entire time every evening so you can simply show up at your leisure. That only works in the grills. If you want the same table every evening then it looks like you need to opt for late assigned seating at a specific time of 8:00 or 8:30 depending on the ship and the sailing.. That choice does not require reservations.

2 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

For those who wish to keep the same table throughout the entire cruise late. it is doubtful that the maître 'd will keep a table empty for  the entire time every evening so you can simply show up at your leisure. That only works in the grills.

And Britannia Club