Here we go again....New York I am coming...and a little bit scared

schattenfell71

Hello !

Today is the day! We will be leaving in the afternoon to Frankfurt airport for an overnight stay. Tomorrow we will be flying with Singapore Airlines Business Class to New York for a 7 day stay.

After this the QM2 will bring us back to Germany over the Atlantic on October 7th.

I have to admit that I am very scared about the flight. And this may not be the right forum but writing calms me down a little bit.

Since I was a kid I was dreaming to travel to or from the US by ship. A classic TA and of course with the QM2.  And today my dream will come true.

My wife asked me yesterday: "We will be on the Atlantic for 6 days. Only water around us for a long time with no going back. Are you scared about it?"

And I answered: "No, because the QM2 was build for this and she is the only ship on which I would travel over the Atlantic."

And thats the point. I am scared to fly 8.5 hours with the A380 from Singapore Airlines in Business Class. One of the best airlines in the world with I guess one of the best airplane who will be checked more than any other vehicle in the world and build for bringing me over the Atlantic. On the other hand I am so happy to be on the QM2 for such a long time.

So....here I go. Hoping that my next posting will be from my hotel in New York.

Keep fingers crossed.....NY and QM2 here we come.

Thorsten

• Like 11

Oh do enjoy your holiday Thorsten and don't let flying that distance worry you. Easy to say I know but you're flying with an airline with one of the best safety records and is recognised to give exemplary service during the flight. 

Sit back and enjoy your time in the air and have a wonderful time on QM2.

1 hour ago, schattenfell71 said:

Hello !

Today is the day! We will be leaving in the afternoon to Frankfurt airport for an overnight stay. Tomorrow we will be flying with Singapore Airlines Business Class to New York for a 7 day stay.

After this the QM2 will bring us back to Germany over the Atlantic on October 7th.

I have to admit that I am very scared about the flight. And this may not be the right forum but writing calms me down a little bit.

Since I was a kid I was dreaming to travel to or from the US by ship. A classic TA and of course with the QM2.  And today my dream will come true.

My wife asked me yesterday: "We will be on the Atlantic for 6 days. Only water around us for a long time with no going back. Are you scared about it?"

And I answered: "No, because the QM2 was build for this and she is the only ship on which I would travel over the Atlantic."

And thats the point. I am scared to fly 8.5 hours with the A380 from Singapore Airlines in Business Class. One of the best airlines in the world with I guess one of the best airplane who will be checked more than any other vehicle in the world and build for bringing me over the Atlantic. On the other hand I am so happy to be on the QM2 for such a long time.

Thorsten

You will be fine on the plane. Just think about all the exiciting things you will get to do in NYC😀.

Where are you staying in the city? What are you planning to see?

3 minutes ago, schattenfell71 said:

We will be staying at the Knickerbocker Hotel at Times Square and I guess we will do all the tourist highlights and of course shopping.

And we will be going to the MET.😀

Be sure to call into the Longacre tavern over on West 47th great food, great drinks and great staff. And if you want a good steak dinner go to Nick and Stefs by Penn Station. There is also a massive food court in the world famous Plaza Hotel which was on home alone 2. All the local resturants have stands.

All the best buddy.

2 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

Hello !

Thorsten

I too hate flying, to the extent I don’t do it, even though I know how safe it is. However, from your point of view, the good thing is that you get it over with first, and then have all the nice bits, rather than having it hang over your holiday. Have a gorgeous time on QM2. 

You have a dream trip planned!  Allow yourself to be distracted during the flight by the pleasures of Singapore Airlines business class, which are reputed to be the best of the best.  Perhaps that will ease your anxieties.  And do let us know how it went afterwards.  

4 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

We will be staying at the Knickerbocker Hotel at Times Square and I guess we will do all the tourist highlights and of course shopping.

Are you going to the Metropolitan Opera or the Metropolitan Museum? Both are fantastic. 👍

• Like 1

Enjoy your vacation. Check out the New York Historical Society to see if you would be interested, it is a small and often over-looked museum. Unfortunately the New York Phil. isn’t in town, and Carnegie doesn’t have a concert until after you on the QM2. New York is probably crazy with Yankees excitement. Go to Rockefeller Square in the morning and check out the windows of the Today Show.

17 hours ago, schattenfell71 said:

Do plan to have dinner in the dining room at the MET. It is part of the experience of the opera. Enjoy. Take care walking in mid-town even during the day time. Try to dress like New Yorkers in Black clothing. Nothing that says tourist. 

I have made it. Sitting in my hotel. Thanks you all for your support. It really helped. The Singapore Airlines Crew is great. They saw that I was very nervous and spoke to me a lot.

The Knickerbocker Hotel is ok but not a 5 Star Hotel. Jetlag is heavy at the moment and New York is very full. First complete day tomorrow!

• Like 3