Tea making in cabin

florence11

Kettles are provided on ships sailing from Southampton,  and also on some European cruises. 

In my experience they are not normally provided on US sailings,  but no harm in asking the steward if he can find one. 

However, unless the Emerald has been in Europe you may be unlucky .

I just order a modified tea for 3pm. My taste buds love tea, scones, cream, marmalade,  sandwiches on my balcony. They bring a full carafe of very hot coffee, small pot for steeping tea, and milk. No idea why milk. I'm drinking tea. 

My waistline not so happy with the set up

28 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I just order a modified tea for 3pm. My taste buds love tea, scones, cream, marmalade,  sandwiches on my balcony. They bring a full carafe of very hot water, small pot for steeping tea, and milk. No idea why milk. I'm drinking tea. 

Weird autocorrect.  Coffee's for morning. Tea's for afternoon 

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I just order a modified tea for 3pm. My taste buds love tea, scones, cream, marmalade,  sandwiches on my balcony. They bring a full carafe of very hot coffee, small pot for steeping tea, and milk. No idea why milk. I'm drinking tea. 

Milk is for the tea. 🫖 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

If there are no in-cabin “kettles”, there is hot water available at the buffet 24-7.  

But the water in the buffet is only hot, not boiling. No good for tea making. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ombud said:

I drink tea with milk or cream.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I drink tea with milk or cream.

Cream ? Just no, no, no and again No !

Surely proper high fat cream coagulates when you mix it with hot tea, leaving fat globules floating on the surface ?

9 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Surely proper high fat cream coagulates when you mix it with hot tea, leaving fat globules floating on the surface ?

He's from this side of the pond. Our 'cream' has 12% milk fat, yours has 35%+. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ombud said:

He's from this side of the pond. Our 'cream' has 12% milk fat, yours has 35%+. 

Thank goodness for clearing that up !

Even 12% seems awful in tea. Doesn't it curdle ? 

We use skimmed milk at 0.1% fat - means the taste of the tea comes through.

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know. There's just no help for us Yanks. We try, but. ..

• Haha 2

@wowzz I don't like anything in my tea but put 1/2&1/2 in coffee. Put dairy in before adding hot coffee and it doesn't separate. I make an Italian drink with your cream, fudge, and espresso.  Cream 1st then fudge then coffee. Sometimes there's an issue if coffee is too hot

10 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

Normally no. However, if the ship is sailing from the UK, they will sometimes provide kettles.

7 hours ago, Ombud said:

Lots of people drink milk in their tea.   

23 hours ago, florence11 said:

Hi,

We are booked on Emerald Princess March 2023 and we British do like our tea, can anyone tell me if there are tea making facilities in the cabin or not.

We were on the Enchanted Princess from Southampton to Denmark and Norway for seven days. We had a kettle and coffee, tea etc. We stayed on for the transatlantic and noticed the room stewards removing all the kettles except from the cabins with B2B passengers. We kept our kettle until we arrived in New York where it was removed from the cabin.

On 10/1/2022 at 7:41 PM, Ombud said:

That sounds really good.

On 10/2/2022 at 2:27 PM, sopo1953 said:

We were on the Enchanted Princess from Southampton to Denmark and Norway for seven days. We had a kettle and coffee, tea etc. We stayed on for the transatlantic and noticed the room stewards removing all the kettles except from the cabins with B2B passengers. We kept our kettle until we arrived in New York where it was removed from the cabin.

We will be going from Fort Lauderdale I think I will just ask the steward as I have found from most cruises the water in the buffet is never quite hot enough.

1 hour ago, florence11 said:

We will be going from Fort Lauderdale I think I will just ask the steward as I have found from most cruises the water in the buffet is never quite hot enough.

They do not want people to get scalded. Caution on their part. Remember McDonalds lawsuit?

I put the water in the cup and let it sit for a min or two. That gets the cup nice and hot and then refill. 

This way the cup does not cool down the water. Good waiters do the very same thing.

The room service hot water wasn't hot enough for me, so I used a metal vacuum bottle. First rinse with hot water, then fill at the Horizon Court. They had a sign saying not to fill bottles directly from the taps, so I used one of their mugs to fill my bottle.

4 hours ago, Lady Meer said:

On Caribbean Princess we ordered tea and coffee for the morning from the room service menu and got pots, plus sugar and milk. One afternoon we ordered tea via the TV and got 2 take-away cups 😳.

I've never gotten that! LOL  I've never ordered from the TV, though.  Did it bring it from the IC instead, I wonder?