Maybe I Spoke Too Soon!

Ret MP

Well, I've got 29 days left until I cruise the Independence of the Seas.  I've always said in here and another cruise social media site that I have no desire to cruise on anything smaller than the Quantum or Oasis Class ships.  We booked this upcoming cruise for a few reasons, one of which is to get to Diamond status.  

Well, I/we've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos of the ship.  I must say that I'm impressed of it's interior beauty and layout, so far.  I may have to adjust my opinion a little.  We'll see.  

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

What is the problem with going with "Something Less" (Whatever that means)than an Quantum Class ship?

Just an uninformed opinion, so far.  Well, except for the fewer number of venues on a smaller ship.  The number of venues, entertainment, food & beverage, carry a lot of weight with us.  I'll have an informed (maybe) opinion after this next cruise.  I'll not know for sure until I get into rough seas on a smaller ship like the Independence, I hope NOT to experience that on this cruise.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

They are just about the same size..

You know, I didn't post this to turn it into a debate or discussion about who's is bigger than who's.  Quantum class is bigger than the Independence, maybe not by much, like 14 thousand tons and 300 passenger capacity, and a wider beam.  I've done my homework!  But, it has a lot of other factors.  The stabilization system.  The size of venues vs ships capacity and the utilization of the venue(s).  Some of which I have no idea what the answer is, yet.   What's important is I'm going to give it a try and I'm going to give it an honest shot and present my honest feelings of it.  That's the point, period!   

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Well, I've got 29 days left until I cruise the Independence of the Seas.  I've always said in here and another cruise social media site that I have no desire to cruise on anything smaller than the Quantum or Oasis Class ships.  We booked this upcoming cruise for a few reasons, one of which is to get to Diamond status.  

Well, I/we've been watching a bunch of Youtube videos of the ship.  I must say that I'm impressed of it's interior beauty and layout, so far.  I may have to adjust my opinion a little.  We'll see.  

Freedom class is amazing; kind of Oasis class lite, I love both equally in the right circumstance 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Just an uninformed opinion, so far.  Well, except for the fewer number of venues on a smaller ship.  The number of venues, entertainment, food & beverage, carry a lot of weight with us.  I'll have an informed (maybe) opinion after this next cruise.  I'll not know for sure until I get into rough seas on a smaller ship like the Independence, I hope NOT to experience that on this cruise.  

We just got off Indy on Saturday, returning a day late because of Ian.  Yes, Freedom class is smaller and you are going to feel movement more than Oasis.  Captain did a slow sail back to PC after Coco Cay (@ 10 knots).  There really wasn't any wind but the ocean was rolling because of Ian.  He said some of the swells were 12 ft in height.  They actually had sickness bags attached to the rails although I didn't think the movement was that bad.  But, I did run into a couple of things if I wasn't paying attention.  Or, the floor up higher or lower when putting your foot down.  😄

She does have a Promenade, which I like.  Specialty Dining we thought was very good.  Chef in Izumi was outstanding.  DH was disappointed in Playmakers, he said not as good as Symphony.  He also missed El Loco Fresh.

It was a great cruise and we really enjoyed the ship.  I hope you enjoy yours as well.  🙂

Edited by jk04
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, jk04 said:

We just got off Indy on Saturday, returning a day late because of Ian.  Yes, Freedom class is smaller and you are going to feel movement more than Oasis.  Captain did a slow sail back to PC after Coco Cay (@ 10 knots).  There really wasn't any wind but the ocean was rolling because of Ian.  He said some of the swells were 12 ft in height.  They actually had sickness bags attached to the rails although I didn't think the movement was that bad.  But, I did run into a couple of things if I wasn't paying attention.  Or, the floor up higher or lower when putting your foot down.  😄

She does have a Promenade, which I like.  Specialty Dining we thought was very good.  Chef in Izumi was outstanding.  DH was disappointed in Playmakers, he said not as good as Symphony.  He also missed El Loco Fresh.

It was a great cruise and we really enjoyed the ship.  I hope you enjoy yours as well.  🙂

Thanks, good report.  I wish that Sabor was still on ALL the Oasis Class ships, instead of Playmakers.  But, that's just me.  Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

We’ll cruise on anything that floats that doesn’t say Carnival on the bow. 

I saw the Carnival Ecstasy last week in the same port as us. What a dump. Looked like it was from WW2 . Your finances have to be in pretty bad shape if you decide to book that piece of crap. I laughed when i saw it.😂

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, loman said:

I saw the Carnival Ecstasy last week in the same port as us. What a dump. Looked like it was from WW2 . Your finances have to be in pretty bad shape if you decide to book that piece of crap. I laughed when i saw it.😂

I was on the Sunshine shortly after it became the Sunshine.  What a mess.  I hated that ship and just about everything about it, crew excepted.  That cruise was the straw that broke the Camel's back.  Haven't been on a Carnival ship since and not looking back. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I was on the Sunshine shortly after it became the Sunshine.  What a mess.  I hated that ship and just about everything about it, crew excepted.  That cruise was the straw that broke the Camel's back.  Haven't been on a Carnival ship since and not looking back. 

I admire your bravery , as i am not as courageous as you and have never sailed on a Carnival ship . That old ship was belching black smoke while the Allure was polluting the air with nice white smoke ( which im sure is better , lol ). 

Think ill stick with Oasis class for now.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, matj2000 said:

What is the problem with going with "Something Less" (Whatever that means)than an Quantum Class ship?

Personally I don’t get the love for the big ships and that there is nothing to do on the smaller ships

• Like 2

We were talked into booking Harmony of the Seas, and took it last year from Barcelona to Port Canaveral.  Since it was just around the ending all the covid hype, we only sailed with 1500 pax.  I can't imagine sailing with 6000+ pax.  Just not my cup of tea.  We prefer ships with 2,000 - 2,500 pax size.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dada2199cc said:

I so very much miss the Mahesty of the Seas.

Majesty holds a special place in my heart.  I loved every cruise on that ship and I would happily sail her again if she was still around.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

Carnival is fine.... Just bring your brass knuckles and pepper spray.

You said it!  Last Carnival Cruise I feared for my personal safety and I have no problem walking the streets of any US major city.  Like I said,  last Carnival Cruise.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, loman said:

The Ecstacy's final cruise is next week and then it's heading to the scrap yard. Apparently Carnival didn't do much to the ship when it returned to service post-COVID and only kept it around to fullfil it's Mobile itineraries for 2022.