Covid on board- the Aussie experience

15 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The article is nearly 6 weeks old. These rules are continually under review, and the response will be determined by the health of the first few transpacific ships as they arrive. 

The US has only recently lifted much of their protocols, but not everything for longer cruises. We regularly do longer cruises than their routine 7 nighters.

No, the mandates are not silly. It isn't about you or me, but the operational security of a ship that is sailing with limited medical facilities. For short cruises, that risk has passed - ships are close to the coast, and healthy boarding will result in no strain on medical facilities. They could remove protocols for them now, but then, would travel insurance follow suit?

We are all entitled to our own opinion

1 hour ago, foxfilbert said:

if you want to wear a mask wear one, in the general public now there is nowhere you need one, you can now go to restaurant movies and football stadiums without restrictions can't see cruise ships being anymore dangerous

Cruise ships are 'more dangerous' in that they have a large number of people in a small area for an extended period of time. People are mixing in this environment and it is quite different from being at a restaurant or even the football. Given the age of many passengers they would be more akin to a nursing home or aged care facility 🙂 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxfilbert said:

if you want to wear a mask wear one, in the general public now there is nowhere you need one, you can now go to restaurant movies and football stadiums without restrictions can't see cruise ships being anymore dangerous

While vaccination/RAT tests/masks are part of the protocols agreed between the state governments and the cruise lines, we should all abide by these regulations. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Cruise ships are 'more dangerous' in that they have a large number of people in a small area for an extended period of time. People are mixing in this environment and it is quite different from being at a restaurant or even the football. Given the age of many passengers they would be more akin to a nursing home or aged care facility 🙂 

Cruise ships are definitely more dangerous as it is the same big group of people mixing.  There has to be a reason the length of cruises was shortened (with some passengers catching covid when they left the ship) or in the US passengers with covid were taken off the ship and put up in hotels for a period before they returned to the ship to continue their cruise. 

I now go to the theatre on land with full capacity and understand the risk, but there were only so many years I could give up live theatre and still be around to enjoy it!  Same with cruising so I'm researching small ships again. 

2 hours ago, Matkai said:

We are all entitled to our own opinion

I agree, and I don't disagree with much of your opinion anyway.

Either way, it doesn't matter what we think as we have paid public officials that will decide, and I am merely putting forth where they are at. They don't give a toss about my personal opinion either, and they aren't taking a poll of CC to decide what to do next either.

Just about to board for our 3rd cruise under these rules. At times masks are a pain, but we will continue to wear our masks as required.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Matkai said:

With masks no longer required in Australia on planes, public transport, cruise ports and the removal of mandatory quarantine if  you test positive from the 14 October - I assume that masks are not mandated on cruise ships out of Australia and will be optional / personal choice? 

On the Coral last month the masks were very fully mandated and staff carried boxes around for anyone who was not wearing one   I never saw any tables outside rooms and there was very little coughing in the theatre etc  The staff were very diligent ensuring people obeyed the rules and washed before entering the buffet etc   This appears to be an Australian well organised regulation as it was the complete opposite on the Sky Princess from UK in July

• Like 2

We've had two medi-vacs on Coral already on this cruise. Obviously they don't say for what health issues but we did hear both patients were recovering OK. 

Medivacs do have a big impact - not only does the ship have to slow down for a couple of hours, and sometimes even change course, then burn more fuel than expected to make up the lost time, but passengers cannot access the upper decks outdoors and even their own balconies while the helicopter is operating around the ship. It's not something you want to happen every day which could become a possibility if the medical centre was swamped with severe Covid cases.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

We've had two medi-vacs on Coral already on this cruise. Obviously they don't say for what health issues but we did hear both patients were recovering OK. 

Medivacs do have a big impact - not only does the ship have to slow down for a couple of hours, and sometimes even change course, then burn more fuel than expected to make up the lost time, but passengers cannot access the upper decks outdoors and even their own balconies while the helicopter is operating around the ship. It's not something you want to happen every day which could become a possibility if the medical centre was swamped with severe Covid cases.

And medivacs are a much bigger challenge halfway between Brisbane & Noumea.

• Like 2

On 10/3/2022 at 10:23 AM, Sailnsurf said:

We have aNZ Tasssie Sydney cruise coming up next February and must make a decision whether or not to go ahead next month when the full fare is payable. My wife does not have the best immune system so the risk of covid is areal consideration. It is some while since cruising reopened in Aus so I would be interested in the experience of cruisers about how covid controls and the level of contraction of covid affected their cruise.

Since you're sailing to Australian ports, your wife would be able to contact her GP for a telehealth appointment and get anti-virals prescribed for her if needed. This assumes she has a good relationship with a regular GP. They can send e-scripts to your phone and you'd just need to be able to access a pharmacy in port.

Your doctor can prescribe anti-virals on a private script but it's awfully expensive to buy them that way (means you can take them to NZ with you without already having been diagnosed with covid).

I have heard that some (maybe all) of the cruise ships are carrying anti-viral medication. I took anti-virals when I got covid a couple of months ago (not on a ship btw) - an absolute godsend. If your wife's immune system is not the best, that would be my plan. FInd out what the cruise ship is carrying, word up your GP before you go, and make sure you're ready to treat her if it happens.

As it happens, I'm also sailing to NZ next February. I've decided to take a chance but I'll be prepared as well as I can be and be awfully cautious.

I have just done the Transpacific cruise on Carnival Splendor. Had to wear mask indoors for first 10 days, then optional. 

all passengers had tests on Day 2, 6 and 10. Minimal number of cases. Excellent protocols in place. I felt safer on board than at my local supermarket. 

• Like 4

If someone believes that they have such serious underlying health conditions that they may need to be evacuated if they catch Covid (at this point in the pandemic) than a cruise ship may not be a place for a holiday. Stay somewhere that medical care is easily available. 
Some personal responsibility goes a long way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Since you're sailing to Australian ports, your wife would be able to contact her GP for a telehealth appointment and get anti-virals prescribed for her if needed. This assumes she has a good relationship with a regular GP. They can send e-scripts to your phone and you'd just need to be able to access a pharmacy in port.

Your doctor can prescribe anti-virals on a private script but it's awfully expensive to buy them that way (means you can take them to NZ with you without already having been diagnosed with covid).

I have heard that some (maybe all) of the cruise ships are carrying anti-viral medication. I took anti-virals when I got covid a couple of months ago (not on a ship btw) - an absolute godsend. If your wife's immune system is not the best, that would be my plan. FInd out what the cruise ship is carrying, word up your GP before you go, and make sure you're ready to treat her if it happens.

As it happens, I'm also sailing to NZ next February. I've decided to take a chance but I'll be prepared as well as I can be and be awfully cautious.

My GP told me you have to be medically diagnosed with Covid before a script for the anti virals can be written. 

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

My GP told me you have to be medically diagnosed with Covid before a script for the anti virals can be written. 

That's true as far as a PBS script goes but they can write you a 'private' script which means you pay the full amount for the meds which is $100's (no government contribution). But I guess it's good to know it's a possibility for people who feel they would be in dire straits without them.

• Like 2

A bit off topic but just confirming the current RAT requirement for Princess boarding in Australia - is it still attestation (as in they ask and you confirm you have a neg test) or is it like noted on the website (which I thought was US):

"For guests who opt to use a self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT), a photograph is required which includes ALL of the following: 1) the RAT result; 2) a government-issued photo ID; and 3) a device showing the time (e.g. watch, mobile phone lock screen, clock)."

14 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

A bit off topic but just confirming the current RAT requirement for Princess boarding in Australia - is it still attestation (as in they ask and you confirm you have a neg test) or is it like noted on the website (which I thought was US):

"For guests who opt to use a self-administered Rapid Antigen Test (RAT), a photograph is required which includes ALL of the following: 1) the RAT result; 2) a government-issued photo ID; and 3) a device showing the time (e.g. watch, mobile phone lock screen, clock)."

For me embarking Coral on 13 Sept it was the first one, verbal statement of a neg RAT. But who knows what is required now, could well be your 1, 2, 3. Best be prepared for the latter.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NSWP said:

For me embarking Coral on 13 Sept it was the first one, verbal statement of a neg RAT. But who knows what is required now, could well be your 1, 2, 3. Best be prepared for the latter.

Similar to you Uncle Les when I boarded Coral P in August but agree - who knows - might get an email with updated info if lucky.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

The latter. If you sign into the personaliser, you will get a pop-up screen with those version 2 details. 

There is still an attest/health survey, but they have added the extra. There is no requirement to upload it, but just to have it on your device to show if requested.

A friend noted it is hard to take a photo of your mobile lock screen, when you are taking a photo with it, and an added juggle while shining the UV torch on the Coles brand one, while trying not to light up the hologram in your passport..

They say they will randomly check for photos in the terminal, and direct those without one to get an in-terminal test done. As they say, random. My cynical side says they want photographic proof if you need to cancel via a positive test.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The latter. If you sign into the personaliser, you will get a pop-up screen with those version 2 details. 

There is still an attest/health survey, but they have added the extra. There is no requirement to upload it, but just to have it on your device to show if requested.

A friend noted it is hard to take a photo of your mobile lock screen, when you are taking a photo with it, and an added juggle while shining the UV torch on the Coles brand one, while trying not to light up the hologram in your passport..

They say they will randomly check for photos in the terminal, and direct those without one to get an in-terminal test done. As they say, random. My cynical side says they want photographic proof if you need to cancel via a positive test.

Thanks for the info - I did buy some new RAT as we are down to our last. The new ones don't need the UV torch mercifully as last time the photo was very purple and difficult to read. And didn't have licence with it. Surely the timestamp on photos would be sufficient as it shows when the photo was taken. Otherwise a bit of a juggle to use hubby's phone to sit next to it. A friend may have difficulty though as she is on her own so no spare phone - might have to look at going to Syd the day before if that is the case.

1 minute ago, Aussieflyer said:

Thanks for the info - I did buy some new RAT as we are down to our last. The new ones don't need the UV torch mercifully as last time the photo was very purple and difficult to read. And didn't have licence with it. Surely the timestamp on photos would be sufficient as it shows when the photo was taken. Otherwise a bit of a juggle to use hubby's phone to sit next to it. A friend may have difficulty though as she is on her own so no spare phone - might have to look at going to Syd the day before if that is the case.

Someone has suggested sitting your ID and test strip on the days newspaper front page.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

The info I read was that you could have a watch beside the test strip, but that wouldn't indicate which day the test was taken.

• Like 1

Currently on Celebrity Eclipse Transpacific. Left Hawaii yesterday. No masks required at this stage for passengers, however crew are required to wear them. Needed a supervised negative test to board. Test had to be done within 2 days of boarding. Staff supervised (compulsory) hand sanitisation on entry into buffet. 

• Like 2