Proctored Testing for a Trans Atlantic cruise

Orator

NCL has abolished all testing. Should Celebrity follow? They presently require a proctored covid test prior to the cruise for a TA cruise. I'm on the Silhouette TA and now believe that testing should be ended since fully vaccinated passengers who test negative get Covid. I fully expect that the TA will have plenty of cases. They can get Covid on shore or on the ship. I'm fully vaccinated, including the recent omicron vaccine, yet a fully expect to get Covid. I have scheduled a proctored test in London so I'm set to go. 

Yeah, we are on the upcoming Constellation TA with the same issue.  We are bringing the binaxnow test kits with us and will find a local pharmacy in Rome as a back up if need be.

The testing requirement unique for TAs (and TPs) is causing some worries for some on our roll call who have the TA as the second leg of a B2B.  No testing required to get on the first leg, but then you have to get tested (and pass) if you want to get back on the ship to cruise across the Atlantic.

It would be nice if Celebrity dropped the TA requirement, but I think things are pretty much set for the Oct sailings.

Edited by mahdnc

1 hour ago, Orator said:

NCL has abolished all testing. Should Celebrity follow? They presently require a proctored covid test prior to the cruise for a TA cruise. I'm on the Silhouette TA and now believe that testing should be ended since fully vaccinated passengers who test negative get Covid. I fully expect that the TA will have plenty of cases. They can get Covid on shore or on the ship. I'm fully vaccinated, including the recent omicron vaccine, yet a fully expect to get Covid. I have scheduled a proctored test in London so I'm set to go. 

Your post is a bit confusing.  Of course anyone can get covid.  The vaccine simply has reduced severity of the disease.  Won't discuss the rule as not allowed, but will state there were MANY cases reported on board Summit in August with many more ill passengers who did not report.  The passengers who were ill and did not quarantine simply spread the virus to others.

The rule is what it is.  You either comply or don't cruise. Absolutely no difference between testing on a B2B than my flying to Iceland and testing there.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

10 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Your post is a bit confusing.  Of course anyone can get covid.  The vaccine simply has reduced severity of the disease.  Won't discuss the rule as not allowed, but will state there were MANY cases reported on board Summit in August with many more ill passengers who did not report.  The passengers who were ill and did not quarantine simply spread the virus to others.

The rule is what it is.  You either comply or don't cruise. Absolutely no difference between testing on a B2B than my flying to Iceland and testing there.

Your post about Summit simply supports my point. Testing pre cruise is not effective in preventing the spread of Covid on the ship.

• Like 1

Personally, support Celebrity's approach for TA crossings. If someone tests positive before embarkation then they should not board for their own sake and every other passenger on the ship. Granted, this does not remove the risk, but it does reduce it.

My only issue is, given the small no of cruises this now applies to, Celebrity should have covered the cost of testing (through voucher or preferred supplier), set up processes at port or both. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cruiser6270 said:

Personally, support Celebrity's approach for TA crossings. If someone tests positive before embarkation then they should not board for their own sake and every other passenger on the ship. Granted, this does not remove the risk, but it does reduce it.

My only issue is, given the small no of cruises this now applies to, Celebrity should have covered the cost of testing (through voucher or preferred supplier), set up processes at port or both. 

I took the final cruise on Crystal Symphony in January and Crystal did proctored testing at their expense at the port. I find your suggestion reasonable.

1 minute ago, Cruiser6270 said:

For B2B cruisers Celebrity does cover the cost.  For others there are free government tests and others that are about $10 you can buy.  Proctoring is about $15.  For a cruise that costs thousands of dollars . . . 

We are on a TA in several weeks. I would be terribly disappointed if we could not board.

But I am still very pro testing for all cruises and having up to date vaccines.

I worry that the cruise lines are more worried about their bottom dollar then their workers and cruisers

• Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 7:46 AM, Orator said:

Your post about Summit simply supports my point. Testing pre cruise is not effective in preventing the spread of Covid on the ship.

The other side of the coin is that Eclipse to Hawaii dropped testing and had a huge outbreak (over 3%) and required masks for all while inside the ship.  

I agree that Vaccination (pre new shot) may be ineffective at prevention but believe that filtering out those that are positive before joining the ship have to reduce a certain number of infections. 

Having said that if Airlines, Buses etc do not require testing passengers even if tested 2 days prior to cruise could still be infected and bring aboard.

I honestly feel they will drop all testing but I wouldn't hold my breath that they will do it before the returning TA's. 

I'm very pleased that at least for this seasons TA's there is still mandatory vaccination and testing. Yes, of course anyone can still get covid, but like others have said, it reduces the number of cases, at least initially.  With regards to vaccination - who knows how their bodies will react when they get covid each time.  You could have a very severe case, and that is not good when you are half way across the Atlantic, days from any hospital care. And if you think the ships 'hospital' will be able to look after you properly, you may well be very disappointed.  That's why vaccinations are good for the long crossings.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2022 at 11:20 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

For B2B cruisers Celebrity does cover the cost.  For others there are free government tests and others that are about $10 you can buy.  Proctoring is about $15.  For a cruise that costs thousands of dollars . . . 

Where did you get a proctored test for $15?  We paid $35 for the emed tests.  Yes, I know, $35 for a cruise that costs thoursands of dollars.....

I believe strongly that all testing has got to stop - including back to back testing.  The cruise industry has got to "get with the program" that the rest of the world is following.  I've said this before - the covid of today is not the covid of 3 years ago - the strains are weaker period, plus people are vaxxed and boosted preventing serious illness - and if you are immunocompromised then it is on you - you need to take responsibility for your own personal health.  The specter of covid on the ships is outsized - holidays are being ruined by folks with no or mild symptoms being caught in the back to back testing dragnet - the cruise line is losing lots of money having to reimburse cruise fares - this is not good for anyone.  If you are afraid of covid then don't leave your house - because it is absolutely everywhere. 

So, NCL has abolished all testing, even back to back??  Even that won't get me to sail on NCL, staunch Celebrity fan here, but hopefully, this is a sign that Celebrity will follow - or we are going to be cancelling 5 cruises on Eclipse next spring.  😭

• Like 1

My test is £29 at Lloyd’s Pharmacy in London. Not about price, but about reducing Covid spread. Those who say it prevents present no evidence to support their claim.I was on a cruise where there was a Noro breakout. People were careful to wash hands while on the ship. Off the ship they resumed unhealthy behavior like touching food while on tour. There was another breakout on the ship as the HD predicted. 

1 hour ago, jmfdr said:

Where did you get a proctored test for $15?  We paid $35 for the emed tests.  Yes, I know, $35 for a cruise that costs thoursands 

Rapidtestandtrace.com.   Several Canadian companies as well.  Do a Google search.  Emed is more expensive than the other companies.

1 hour ago, PKB said:

I think the underlying issue is that the passengers fear they will contract covid on the first leg and test positive for the second leg and then they are dead off the water....

Yes, precisely - thus my more detailed post above.  Back to back cruises are a crap shoot, if mandatory back to back testing occurs.  The anxiety you have on the first cruise of testing positive on the back to back test is awful.  Super easy to contract covid and not even know you have it - then, because of the outsized fear of covid which is rampant in the cruising world, test positive in the back to back testing dragnet and your dream holiday is over.  As I said earlier, if a person is afraid of covid then they shouldn't leave their house as it is everywhere.  And don't take a back to back cruise if you have to test for the second cruise - there is a fair chance that you'll be positive and be tossed in covid jail even though you feel great or only mildly under the weather.  

On 10/4/2022 at 2:30 PM, Orator said:

Royal just changed theirs for TA's from Europe. Everyone over 5 needs proctored tests within 48 hours of sailing. 

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Royal just changed theirs for TA's from Europe. Everyone over 5 needs proctored tests within 48 hours of sailing. 

Well the above lasted 12 hours. This morning received another email changing it again - we sail on Monday. 

Now no one needs a proctored test. Fully vaccinated test within 3 days. Not fully PCR 72 hours or antigen 24 hours . At this rate Anthem will be empty.

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Well the above lasted 12 hours. This morning received another email changing it again - we sail on Monday. 

Now no one needs a proctored test. Fully vaccinated test within 3 days. Not fully PCR 72 hours or antigen 24 hours . At this rate Anthem will be empty.

Celebrity and Royal set their own Covid policies.  They have often been different