Warning for interstate seniors using NSW OPAL Seniors Card

Visited the new airport and asked that question about private cost and was advised that at present the airport train line would be on the sydney transport ownership and no extra levy required!!!!!

Just to backtrack  the OP advised their senior card had expired?  Ours does not need renewing  is this a Queensland thing??

30 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Visited the new airport and asked that question about private cost and was advised that at present the airport train line would be on the sydney transport ownership and no extra levy required!!!!!

Just to backtrack  the OP advised their senior card had expired?  Ours does not need renewing  is this a Queensland thing??

Our Seniors card doesn't expire, but our Seniors Health Concession Card does. A new one is sent every year.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

I got a Qld seniors card in January this year and no expiry date either

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

My State Seniors Card doesn't expire.  This the one they ask do you have.  However my Commonwealth Seniors Health Card expired since Ive been here.   It is usually automatically renewed.

19 hours ago, mr walker said:

I’m almost close enough to walk there 😳

18 hours ago, arxcards said:

Under the flight path?

I may have exaggerated a little on the distance - it's about 11km, out along the Northern Rd, so not a walk with luggage 🙂 .

The flight paths have not been released as yet, but visiting the site, it is clear the direction of the runways, and so it will be from the east &/or west. We are basically north of the site, in the southern part of Penrith.

Les can park here anytime he wants & it's not far to Panthers 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mr walker said:

I may have exaggerated a little on the distance - it's about 11km, out along the Northern Rd, so not a walk with luggage 🙂 .

The flight paths have not been released as yet, but visiting the site, it is clear the direction of the runways, and so it will be from the east &/or west. We are basically north of the site, in the southern part of Penrith.

Les can park here anytime he wants & it's not far to Panthers 🙂 

Where the team which won is based?  

19 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

There’s a new bridge going across the Grose river and I could be there in half hour.

Uncle Les could park his car a your place and hit Panthers.

Uncle Les has a standing invite to visit our place & I'll even chaperone him to Panthers

4 hours ago, windsor26 said:

There’s 2 lines I believe.

The first one is a suburban metro and the second one which is a few years away a express into Central.

As you said it shouldn’t have a surcharge as it’s a government project.

All the big freight companies are in the area .So there’s going to be a demand for passenger flights to put the freight in.

I think it will be popular even though it’s a bit out of the way .

On 10/6/2022 at 9:00 AM, MMDown Under said:

Warning for interstate seniors using a NSW OPAL Seniors Card

I have sent hours and hours of my holiday time trying to find out why my NSW OPAL Seniors Card was cancelled. 

After spreading all the evidence out on the table, I have discovered that my Qld Seniors card expired on 30/9, after I left Qld. on 20/9.  Easy to now solve you would think? No, my daughter has checked my mail box and no new Seniors Card to send by overnight mail to Sydney.  Now we all know how slow the mail is these days.  Not OPAL NSW, who has cancelled my card.

Big mistake, I put $30 on card enough to get me through the airport home.

OPAL NSW knows I put $30 on card, so why not some leeway for Seniors.  (When I couldn't solve the problem at Circular Quay, I walked in the torrential rain from Circular Quay to Sydney Theatre Company and arrived soaking wet for live theatre.) Needless to say, I wasn't a happy vegemite!  But the show was fabulous

Thanks for the note, I would have thought there was only one way to stop being a senior.

• Haha 2

Interesting thread.  Have you asked them if you get a new opal card can they transfer your balance or is it permanently gone?  I had a temporary seniors opal while I was waiting for my permanent one and called them and they transferred to old balance to the new.   (Oh and thanks for the warning)

Edited by lucymorgan

Warning if you use a credit card.

My Wife & I have separate cards linked to the same account.

For some reason we couldn't buy separate tickets at the Manly end of the Ferry. I got through but my wife had to trek back to the entrance to buy her ticket.

• Thanks 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:47 PM, lucymorgan said:

Interesting thread.  Have you asked them if you get a new opal card can they transfer your balance or is it permanently gone?  I had a temporary seniors opal while I was waiting for my permanent one and called them and they transferred to old balance to the new.   (Oh and thanks for the warning)

You can get a refund to your bank account.  I have visited the Transport/OPAL Centres at Central and Circular Quay twice each and the latter gave me a form which says refund can only be transferred to your bank account.  I have set Monday aside to phone OPAL, so wish me luck. 

I would suggest to only put a small amount on your OPAL card not the calculated full amount like I did.

I have come across some people who are in the wrong job.  Certainly not "Customer Service".

BTW I did get a new OPAL Card (Seniors daily rate $2.50).  Even the expiry date of 3/11/22 in black felt pen looked angry.  It didn't work either by the end of the day.  

The friendly bus drivers, who just wave me through as I try to explain flashing my two non working OPAL Cards, make my day!  

In the meantime, I look forward to the free Sundays and more walking!

• Like 1

Just now, MMDown Under said:

You can get a refund to your bank account.  I have visited the Transport/OPAL Centres at Central and Circular Quay twice each and the latter gave me a form which says refund can only be transferred to your bank account.  I have set Monday aside to phone OPAL, so wish me luck. 

I would suggest to only put a small amount on your OPAL card not the calculated full amount like I did.

I have come across some people who are in the wrong job.  Certainly not "Customer Service".

BTW I did get a new OPAL Card (Seniors daily rate $2.50).  Even the expiry date of 3/11/22 in black felt pen looked angry.  It didn't work either by the end of the day.  

The friendly bus drivers, who just wave me through as I try to explain flashing my two non working OPAL Cards, make my day!  

In the meantime, I look forward to the free Sundays and more walking!

I phoned OPAL today and the Saga continues.  Lady asked did I register card 1 - nobody told me I had to register Card 1.  Did I register new card 2?  Nobody told me I had to Register Card 2. She registered cards but couldn't link them.  Card 1 remains locked, so I have to apply for refund of $30 to my bank account (with card 1).  In the meantime, I should put money on Card 2.  I will put $5 on until I see if it works. 

Lesson learnt - don't put large amount on card until you know card works!

• Like 1

Opal cards have a ten year expiry I've just been told. Ordered Gold interstate seniors. Received in mail but couldn't register this type via online site as no option for interstate senior (was for pensioner or NSW or ACT senior). Got to through to NSW transport phone quickly and option for Opal. Registered quickly. We had older non-senior Opals so had to link them first online then transfer balance to new ones. Wait 24 hours it said and transfer will happen when you tap on within 60 days. We will try in Sydney tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Tripmode33 said:

Opal cards have a ten year expiry I've just been told. Ordered Gold interstate seniors. Received in mail but couldn't register this type via online site as no option for interstate senior (was for pensioner or NSW or ACT senior). Got to through to NSW transport phone quickly and option for Opal. Registered quickly. We had older non-senior Opals so had to link them first online then transfer balance to new ones. Wait 24 hours it said and transfer will happen when you tap on within 60 days. We will try in Sydney tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed for you.  good luck  yes opal cards now have a ten year expiry  yes you have to go through NSW transport

I think my complication is my first new Opal card had been blocked.  Not sure why because I only had to show my Qld.Seniors Card which doesn't expire.  But my Commonwealth Health Care Card expired in September since I've been in Sydney.  I now have a copy of my new card which arrived in the mail. 

58 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Fingers crossed for you.  good luck  yes opal cards now have a ten year expiry  yes you have to go through NSW transport

I think my complication is my first new Opal card had been blocked.  Not sure why because I only had to show my Qld.Seniors Card which doesn't expire.  But my Commonwealth Health Care Card expired in September since I've been in Sydney.  I now have a copy of my new card which arrived in the mail. 

In the Opal T&C's- effective 19 Aug 2022 it says:
"A Health Care Card is not accepted as proof of entitlement for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card."

https://transportnsw.info/document/2114/opal-terms-of-use1.pdf

Also from the T&C's about Expiry (clause 80)

"Card Expiration: An Opal Card will expire:
a) in the case of a reloadable Opal Card – 11 years; or

b) in the case of a Free Opal Card - 5 years,
after the date it is initialised (which will be earlier than the date you received or first used the Opal Card) (Planned Expiry)

You will know when an Opal Card is about to expire as a card
expiration message will appear on the reader display when you tap on an Opal Card
Reader during the 30 day period prior to Planned Expiry ""

That expiry notice doesn't help anyone who (like me) does not use their Opal card regularly.

I had no idea up to now that Opal cards expired (maybe this is something new). Wonder if it is possible to check how old a particular card is?

Edited by boeckli

23 minutes ago, boeckli said:

In the Opal T&C's- effective 19 Aug 2022 it says:
"A Health Care Card is not accepted as proof of entitlement for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card."

https://transportnsw.info/document/2114/opal-terms-of-use1.pdf

Also from the T&C's about Expiry (clause 80)

"Card Expiration: An Opal Card will expire:
a) in the case of a reloadable Opal Card – 11 years; or

b) in the case of a Free Opal Card - 5 years,
after the date it is initialised (which will be earlier than the date you received or first used the Opal Card) (Planned Expiry)

You will know when an Opal Card is about to expire as a card
expiration message will appear on the reader display when you tap on an Opal Card
Reader during the 30 day period prior to Planned Expiry ""

That expiry notice doesn't help anyone who (like me) does not use their Opal card regularly.

I had no idea up to now that Opal cards expired (maybe this is something new). Wonder if it is possible to check how old a particular card is?

Thank you.  That doesn't explain why my new Opal Card, bought on arrival in September at Central Station, was later blocked. ( I just guessed it might have been the Commonwealth Health Care Card's expiry but it wasn't.)

Old Opal cards used to expire.

The last four digits on bottom line after the padlock allow Opal to read activity on your card  That should allow them to see activity on your card.

Phone OPAL 136725 1,1,1,2. 

NSW doesn't make it easy for interstate Seniors.  Adelaide does!

Slightly off topic.

Reading this as an overseas senior visitor I have a question, we are (finally) coming to Australia and will be spending a week pre cruise in Sydney before commencing our circumnavigation of Australia.

We originally planned on getting Opal cards at the airport but after reading info decided to go the easier CC route.

So if I am reading this correctly we need different CC accounts which we have but we are used to always having a senior reduction on public transport. Is this still possible with a) using CC or b) with an Opal card or is this only available to citizens with a special senior card?

Rosalyn

Edited by cruiseaholic78

45 minutes ago, cruiseaholic78 said:

Slightly off topic.

Reading this as an overseas senior visitor I have a question, we are (finally) coming to Australia and will be spending a week pre cruise in Sydney before commencing our circumnavigation of Australia.

We originally planned on getting Opal cards at the airport but after reading info decided to go the easier CC route.

So if I am reading this correctly we need different CC accounts which we have but we are used to always having a senior reduction on public transport. Is this still possible with a) using CC or b) with an Opal card or is this only available to citizens with a special senior card?

Rosalyn

You can only get a NSW Seniors Opal Card if you have an interstate Seniors Card, eg I have a Queensland Seniors Card which I have to show to apply.

However you can ask is there a Seniors discount on lots of things.  

15 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

You can only get a NSW Seniors Opal Card if you have an interstate Seniors Card, eg I have a Queensland Seniors Card which I have to show to apply.

However you can ask is there a Seniors discount on lots of things.  

In regards to our QLD  Senior Go card if you use your pensions concession card it expires when your concession card expires but if you use your QLD Seniors card it expires at 10 years