Is Cunard usually late with embark/disembark times?

I've just booked my first Cunard cruise, a little 2 nighter.  

It's about 3 months away and I can't find any information on port departure or arrival times.  It's not in the calendar in my online booking, not in the email confirmation, not on the official port authority schedules.  

Just wondering if this is the norm or if it's worth a call to Cunard to find what's going on?  We're travelling in peak holiday period and I have FF points to use up, would like to get flights sorted ASAP.

Or do I just go with 11am flight home ex Sydney on the assumption that all ships arrive early enough to be off by about 8.30am?

Just now, clairebearinaus said:

It's about 3 months away and I can't find any information on port departure or arrival times.  It's not in the calendar in my online booking, not in the email confirmation, not on the official port authority schedules.  

Just wondering if this is the norm or if it's worth a call to Cunard to find what's going on?  We're travelling in peak holiday period and I have FF points to use up, would like to get flights sorted ASAP.

Or do I just go with 11am flight home ex Sydney on the assumption that all ships arrive early enough to be off by about 8.30am?

Other cruise lines suggest you do not book a flight before noon on the day of disembarkation. I don't know what Cunard suggest.

4 minutes ago, clairebearinaus said:

They tend to dock in Sydney at around 6am and your schedule for disembarking will depend on your cabin grade (the higher the grade, the earlier you disembark) unless you do self-disembarkation which means you carry your own suitcases off. I've disembarked from one of the Cunard ships in Sydney and it was very quick - it wasn't during peak holiday period though which you say will be your case. I was at the airport in good time but I wouldn't have booked anything for before noon as you can never be sure how bad the traffic will be to the airport (for one thing).

I'll try to find the time of your arrival into Sydney if you tell us what date it will be.

I have found embarking on Cunard very quick. You could actually time your arrival by 12 ish if that suits. With disembarking, I am gathering you will be carrying your own luggage and you will also be off very quickly if you want. All cruise lines want you off quickly! You will definitely be off Cunard by 8.30am as long as the ship is into Port on time! I would not book a flight before 12, especially as they now say to arrive at Sydney Airport two hours before a flight. Enjoy your Cunard cruise, but be aware you will not get the full experience on a 2 nighter.

Just had a look - you must be getting into Sydney on the 7th January. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6am to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

I did my first Cunard voyage a few years ago by taking a 4-nighter from Auckland to Sydney. The vibe of the ship felt right to me from the minute I boarded - reminded me of the ships I had been on as a child. I hope you have a wonderful experience.

• Like 1

Nearly all ships arrive at Sydney Heads close to first light. Cunard disembarks are as efficient as any other, and in all likelyhood you will be disembarked before 7:30.

That is when they are on schedule and not affected by weather, seas or other delays from the previous port. On a normal day, your 11am flight will be a shoo-in.

1 hour ago, resordanis said:

. Enjoy your Cunard cruise, but be aware you will not get the full experience on a 2 nighter.

More to the point - they will not get the full Cunard experience in Australian waters . 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

More to the point - they will not get the full Cunard experience in Australian waters . 

Why not Barry?  I did QM2, Sydney to HK and it was full on. Too dressy for me.  Come 6pm the Dress codes apply in most public areas of the ship.  I did not think the food and service were any different than Princess actually, unless you were wealthy enough to go Queens Grill or Princess Grill class.  But the ship QM2, well there is nothing like her, unique and magnificent.

35 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Why not Barry?  I did QM2, Sydney to HK and it was full on. Too dressy for me.  Come 6pm the Dress codes apply in most public areas of the ship.  I did not think the food and service were any different than Princess actually, unless you were wealthy enough to go Queens Grill or Princess Grill class.  But the ship QM2, well there is nothing like her, unique and magnificent.

Is QM2 coming to Australia?

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

You don't get to see the FULL dress code in action here in Oz waters - where almost every man is in Tux. Most Aussies don't wear Tuxes - and I don't blame them because they are very difficult to find here in Oz and generally expensive. In the UK you can buy a Tux in ASDA 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Only as part of here Round World Voyage in early 2023- you can still book Sydney to Fremantle M307 for 12 March 2023

Sigh - don't think I can make it but would love to QM2 is just such a special ship.

We have a 5 day Culinary cruise on QE in January but not expecting quite the same vibe. We are QG though which should be special.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Aussieflyer said:

Sigh - don't think I can make it but would love to QM2 is just such a special ship.

We have a 5 day Culinary cruise on QE in January but not expecting quite the same vibe. We are QG though which should be special.

QE has the same vibe and imo is the perfect size. QG will be perfect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bazzaw said:

You don't get to see the FULL dress code in action here in Oz waters - where almost every man is in Tux. Most Aussies don't wear Tuxes - and I don't blame them because they are very difficult to find here in Oz and generally expensive. In the UK you can buy a Tux in ASDA 🙂 

They aren't that hard to find here, especially in Melbourne which is usually the QE homeport here. Daniel Hechter has a store at the South Wharf outlet centre - Rolf just bought a new dinner jacket there at a very good price. MJ Bale also have them but at double+ the price.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They aren't that hard to find here, especially in Melbourne which is usually the QE homeport here. Daniel Hechter has a store at the South Wharf outlet centre - Rolf just bought a new dinner jacket there at a very good price. MJ Bale also have them but at double+ the price.

I found them very hard to find here in Brisbane 

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Or Primark, lol.

30 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Lowes has them now and then,  I left my last Dinner suit at Oxfam shop in Oxford in 2016, lol. 

1 hour ago, Aussieflyer said:

QG, you must be rich, lol.

• Haha 1

Even the Lower Hunter has tuxes. and not just at Lowes.

Still have mine hanging in a bag, waiting for the next time I can be bothered. It needs a dry clean, so I might take it on Majestic if only just for that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Just had a look - you must be getting into Sydney on the 7th January. The ship is scheduled to arrive at 6am to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

I did my first Cunard voyage a few years ago by taking a 4-nighter from Auckland to Sydney. The vibe of the ship felt right to me from the minute I boarded - reminded me of the ships I had been on as a child. I hope you have a wonderful experience.

I'm impressed and very grateful that you found the information I needed.  Thanks very much. 

• Like 1