October 25, 2022 Carnival Magic arrives in Bermuda - John H help!

cellfree

I do not do Facebook so hopefully John will read this. Or can somebody contact John via Facebook re this issue for those of us on the Magic arriving on the 25th so we can have updated information instead of "wondering?"

Bermuda has updated their website to say that testing for vaccintated cruisers arriving October 25th onward is no longer required. Carnival does not seem to be "aware" of that and still says cruisers are required to show testing when boarding. I have called and talked to several Carnival employees and get a different story evey time but the one thing that is consistent is they all say that several people have called and asked the same question since Bermuda's announcement. Carnival's website says cruisers need to comply with country visiting and yet it still says we need to be tested. Help!

My motto is better have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

If the rules are not clear, just get tested in order to avoid any issues.

Friends of ours were denied boarding in Barcelona (different cruise line) after phone reps told them no booster required, but the terminal employees didn't let anyone board without one. The cruiseline's website was very vague about requirements. 

• Like 3

Bermuda updated their site about 10 days ago.  I figured Carnival hadn't updated their's because they were busy dealing with Ian. Arrival ON October 25th is the magic date when you do not need a test.

Carnival has had enough time to update it.  They just haven't.  Maybe there are no sailings to Bermuda after yours (other than our 1-day stop on our TA).

I'm on a B2B2B with Bermuda in the last segment so IF we have to be tested, Carnival will have to do.  I'm relying on Bermuda's update that it isn't required.

They DO still require the $40 Travel Authorization.  Which I have not done and I fly to Rome tomorrow.  Oh well.  I'll have wifi on the 2nd leg and can do that then, since I expect it will still be required.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. I will say, have you tried reaching out to the Bermuda tourism office? I'm assuming they have one. Most of the islands do. I was having the same issue with Bonaire being included in the "can't get off the ship if you're  unvaccinated" according to Carnival website back when we booked on Magic for January, even though the Bonaire government websites all stated there they were not requiring tests or vaccines to go there. I contacted a great lady at the Bonaire tourism office. She was as upset as I was about it, and she contacted the right person. It was taken off the Carnival website a couple of weeks later. Try that. Maybe someone in Bermuda will be as caring and helpful as on Boaire!

8 minutes ago, NCTribeFan said:

Bermuda updated their site about 10 days ago.  I figured Carnival hadn't updated their's because they were busy dealing with Ian. Arrival ON October 25th is the magic date when you do not need a test.

Carnival has had enough time to update it.

…..I'm relying on Bermuda's update that it isn't required.

They DO still require the $40 Travel Authorization.  Which I have not done and I fly to Rome tomorrow.  Oh well.  I'll have wifi on the 2nd leg and can do that then, since I expect it will still be required.

I agree that surely Carnival is aware by now, get it done! I would  like to rely on Bermuda’s update but am afraid we will get to Port of Norfolk and get a Carnival rep that still thinks testing is required. And yes, we have completed the Travel Authorization and given Bermuda $40 each.

One poster suggested getting tested “just in case” but testing locations these days are hard to come by. 

I ordered a 3-pak of BinaxNow tests from Optum (for$99) and got them just before they lifted the testing requirement for Greece (which is on our first leg).  So I have proctor tests that i no longer need.  I'm taking one with me anyway along with a couple of the non-proctored self tests.  Just in case.

Here's the link to the Bermuda site that states as of 10/25, testing is no longer required for cruise ship visitors.

https://www.gov.bm/cruise-travel-authorisation

Ignore everything under that statement.  That's for the current rules, which expire 10/24.  I'd print that out and take it to Norfolk.

image.png

I reached out to our agent when I saw the inconsistency.  Here's how he replied: 

I have spoken to Carnival and read them what the Bermuda government’s website currently says, but they still did tell me that a Covid-19 test would be required.

I read them word for word what the Bermudian government’s policy currently is but they told me that if a policy was still listed on Carnival’s website, that would be the policy that they would adhere to.

As this is the case, although Bermuda does not require a Covid-19 test anymore I would recommend taking one before your cruise as Carnival staff are still adhering to what their website states.

I would also recommend checking back with Carnival’s website again soon as I do suspect that they may update their policy to match the Bermudian government’s website soon and once this change is made their employees will also adhere to the new rules.

Basically, Carnival is saying that they don't care what the Bermuda government says, they won't admit that their policy is wrong.  Hopefully, the Carnival folks will wake up before we leave.

With the way these COVID policies have been changing on a daily/weekly basis for months now, I don't see why y'all are having a conniption over something that will very likely change and that won't even be an issue for over two weeks.

I don't think anyone is having a conniption.  It's perfectly reasonable for people to be confused when they get conflicting information.

If you aren't concerned about it, then do whatever you want but please don't tell others what they should or should not be concerned about.

I'm not concerned because I'll be on a B2B and it will be Carnival's responsibility to test me, if it is needed.  Those boarding in Lisbon for the TA are concerned, especially those arriving in Lisbon for a few days prior to sailing. 

If I were arriving in Bermuda on the very day that the policy is supposed to change, I'd be concerned.

14 hours ago, Hooley said:

I reached out to our agent when I saw the inconsistency.  Here's how he replied: 

I have spoken to Carnival and read them what the Bermuda government’s website currently says, but they still did tell me that a Covid-19 test would be required.

I read them word for word what the Bermudian government’s policy currently is but they told me that if a policy was still listed on Carnival’s website, that would be the policy that they would adhere to.

As this is the case, although Bermuda does not require a Covid-19 test anymore I would recommend taking one before your cruise as Carnival staff are still adhering to what their website states.

I would also recommend checking back with Carnival’s website again soon as I do suspect that they may update their policy to match the Bermudian government’s website soon and once this change is made their employees will also adhere to the new rules.

Basically, Carnival is saying that they don't care what the Bermuda government says, they won't admit that their policy is wrong.  Hopefully, the Carnival folks will wake up before we leave.

How do we get Carnival folks to wake up? Supervisor I talked to “saw” the contradictions but all she could tell me is that “whoever” updates Carnival’s website hasn’t done so yet. We arrive in Bermuda October 25, you also?

Already have the eMED tele-proctored kits that we purchased when it was required.... used the same kits in the spring for our Europe cruise, 30 minutes from call and open package to having results documented in hand.  Glad we should not need tests for Bermuda now, but will carry the kits, if they decide at check-in we still need test results, will just step out do the tests and return with results. think we have all the bases covered on this one (assuming we get out Bermuda TA paperwork in time) 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 7:31 AM, FTLCruiseGal said:

Could it have more to do with Carnival’s policy and not Bermuda?  I can’t recall the number of days, but Carnival is requiring testing for cruises 6 or more days (Maybe 7, I don’t recall exactly).

Geez you freaked me out. We leave in 12 days. I’m out of the Binax now tests and we are going on an 8 day cruise. 

Testing requirements are for 16 days and longer. 😎

On 10/7/2022 at 8:52 PM, mz-s said:

With the way these COVID policies have been changing on a daily/weekly basis for months now, I don't see why y'all are having a conniption over something that will very likely change and that won't even be an issue for over two weeks.

As I said...

23 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

Geez you freaked me out. We leave in 12 days. I’m out of the Binax now tests and we are going on an 8 day cruise. 

Testing requirements are for 16 days and longer. 😎

Apologies.  I couldn’t remember the number of days.  I don’t have any scheduled for right now, so I don’t pay much attention.

On 10/7/2022 at 12:01 PM, cellfree said:

I do not do Facebook so hopefully John will read this. Or can somebody contact John via Facebook re this issue for those of us on the Magic arriving on the 25th so we can have updated information instead of "wondering?"

Bermuda has updated their website to say that testing for vaccintated cruisers arriving October 25th onward is no longer required. Carnival does not seem to be "aware" of that and still says cruisers are required to show testing when boarding. I have called and talked to several Carnival employees and get a different story evey time but the one thing that is consistent is they all say that several people have called and asked the same question since Bermuda's announcement. Carnival's website says cruisers need to comply with country visiting and yet it still says we need to be tested. Help!

John has no actual authority.

I just wanted to note that the OP's wishes were answered and Mr. Heald addressed the Bermuda testing situation in one of his posts yesterday. Here's a link to his post:  John Heald - So with the Bermuda and the continuing... | Facebook .  The relevant info is the same as was posted above.  

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

I just wanted to note that the OP's wishes were answered and Mr. Heald addressed the Bermuda testing situation in one of his posts yesterday. Here's a link to his post:  John Heald - So with the Bermuda and the continuing... | Facebook .  The relevant info is the same as was posted above.  

Not sure what to do now. Got Travel Authorization from Bermuda and it still talks about testing being necessary. Do you think we can assume it is “old” wording? 

41 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Not sure what to do now. Got Travel Authorization from Bermuda and it still talks about testing being necessary. Do you think we can assume it is “old” wording? 

Testing is still necessary for another 12 days isn't it?