Standby

I was told a few years ago before the shutdown that you can get on a standby list for cruises that are undersold.

Has anyone had experience with this ?

Im looking at a cruise in 5 weeks on Ovation and it’s already cheap and has about 180 balconies available.

I’m not aware of a standby list for Royal Caribbean.  If the cruise you are interested in is inexpensive, why not go ahead and book it?  If the price is attractive others might book it and prices might then rise.

Also remember, just because you can select from 180 balcony cabins, they may not have that many to sell.  There might be any number of guests holding guarantee balcony bookings who have not yet been assigned cabins. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

I’m not aware of a standby list for Royal Caribbean.  If the cruise you are interested in is inexpensive, why not go ahead and book it?  If the price is attractive others might book it and prices might then rise.

Also remember, just because you can select from 180 balcony cabins, they may not have that many to sell.  There might be any number of guests holding guarantee balcony bookings who have not yet been assigned cabins. 

It’s cheap but if I can get it cheaper even better ,why not.

The particular cruise is destined to go to a port that isn’t open and it doesn’t look like it will be.It will probably have to go somewhere else.
So I would say there’s probably more cabins available than what is advertised.
I just thought someone might know. I will keep an eye on it.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I was told a few years ago before the shutdown that you can get on a standby list for cruises that are undersold.

Im looking at a cruise in 5 weeks on Ovation and it’s already cheap and has about 180 balconies available.

No such thing.

• Like 1

It’s cheap but if I can get it cheaper even better, why not.

The particular cruise is destined to go to a port that isn’t open and it doesn’t look like it will be.It will probably have to go somewhere else.

Why not? Because they will probably be sold out by the time you decide to book it. If you think it’s cheap there are others who also think the same and are willing to book it at the price it is now.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Why not? Because they will probably be sold out by the time you decide to book it. If you think it’s cheap there are others who also think the same and are willing to book it at the price it is now.

Yep, rolling the dice!

Decades ago one could pack a bag and show up at the port on sailing day for a last minute deal.  TSA and security changed all of that:  now you can't even get into the port without a reservation.  

Today, I'm pretty sure that cruise lines, just like airlines, turn over a manifest to TSA in advance of sailing, so "last minute" isn't the same as it used to be.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Standby lists mean that things are sold out and you are waiting for a spot to open up and if one does then you get called.

There are waitlists (sane as standby) that you can get put on in the event that a category is sold out but there is no such thing as what you were describing. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 3

They offer a "move up" program and a guarantee program.  Not aware of other programs.  You can also go immediately to the CS desk as soon as you board as they might be able to give you an upgrade if somebody cancels at the last minute-for a small upgrade charge-

Edited by Cruise a holic

7 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

It’s cheap but if I can get it cheaper even better ,why not.

Well, standby is not the answer.  I’ve been cruising for a while.  Sometimes I waited, thinking a price would go down…sometimes it went up and sometimes it went down. 
Be especially careful if you want a balcony cabin.  Royal Caribbean has a bidding program called RoyalUp.  People booked in less expensive cabins can bid for upgrades.  So people booked in an inside cabin can bid; if their bid is accepted they may fill the balcony cabins and inside cabins will be vacant instead.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Standby lists mean that things are sold out and you are waiting for a spot to open up and if one does then you get called.

There are waitlists (same as standby) that you can get put on in the event that a category is sold out but there is no such thing as what you were describing. 

And if I remember correctly, in order to be put on either of these "lists" you have to actually have a booking in the system.

In the old days, you could put yourself on a "willing to sail at short notice list" that supposedly would contact you in the last few days before a cruise sailed to give you the opportunity to book and sail at the last minute. The pandemic and post 9/11 TSA/HSA rules pretty much killed that option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, orville99 said:

In the old days, you could

Exactly. In the olden days (maybe 25 years ago), you could show up at the port and buy actually at the last minute for a cruise bargain. Two things have changed that:

1) Security. There has to be time to vet you before the cruise. Now, you might be able to buy a "last minute" deal if "last minute" means within final payment, but not in the last couple of days before sailing.

2) Retail optimization software for the hospitality industry. Cruise pricing is set by data analytics software that does an incredible job of meeting occupancy targets by specified dates. If the cruise line wants to fill every cabin by x days before the cruise, that's exactly what will happen.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, PWP-001 said:

Today, I'm pretty sure that cruise lines, just like airlines, turn over a manifest to TSA in advance of sailing, so "last minute" isn't the same as it used to be.

First off, TSA has nothing to do with cruise ships or their manifests.  As for when the passenger manifest is turned in to CBP, that is 90 minutes prior to sailing.  For most lines, prior to covid, you could book within about 24 hours of sailing, some up to the afternoon before.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

First off, TSA has nothing to do with cruise ships or their manifests.  As for when the passenger manifest is turned in to CBP, that is 90 minutes prior to sailing.  For most lines, prior to covid, you could book within about 24 hours of sailing, some up to the afternoon before.

I'm sure you will correct me if I have this wrong, and I hope you do.  

My understanding of TSA at passenger cruise terminals is that TSA has granted permission to the sea ports/cruise lines to contract out the passenger security screening at cruise port terminals.  Unlike airports where TSA refuses to give up that control.  However, TSA sets the requirement and overseas the contract(s) and performance of the contracted companies/personnel. 

6 hours ago, orville99 said:

And if I remember correctly, in order to be put on either of these "lists" you have to actually have a booking in the system.

In the old days, you could put yourself on a "willing to sail at short notice list" that supposedly would contact you in the last few days before a cruise sailed to give you the opportunity to book and sail at the last minute. The pandemic and post 9/11 TSA/HSA rules pretty much killed that option.

That sounds something like what they where saying,a willing to sail list.

It was only about 4 years ago ,they said someone would call them .
I don’t know if it was a agent or Crown &Anchor   but  they would say we have a cheap cabin ,are you interested?
But I have been asked years ago on the ship if I would like to stay for the next cruise.

Also before Royal up my agent used to call about a paid upgrade and if anyone I knew wanted to go on the cruise.

58 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

I'm sure you will correct me if I have this wrong, and I hope you do.  

My understanding of TSA at passenger cruise terminals is that TSA has granted permission to the sea ports/cruise lines to contract out the passenger security screening at cruise port terminals.  Unlike airports where TSA refuses to give up that control.  However, TSA sets the requirement and overseas the contract(s) and performance of the contracted companies/personnel. 

No.  Port facilities are under the jurisdiction of the USCG, as the "Port State Control" agency.  Both the ships and the port have to have ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) plans, that meet international standards, and that the USCG oversee. The terminal security is private, hired by the port.  TSA does, however, act in an advisory role to USCG in implementing the ISPS requirements, and for training purposes.  TSA also assists the USCG in port security by issuing the TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential), which all mariners or contractors (truck drivers, cab drivers, ship's agents, port chaplains, vendors) require to be allowed free access to port facilities.  The TWIC program is like the TSA-Pre Check, though the TWIC requires a full FBI background check.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

No.  Port facilities are under the jurisdiction of the USCG, as the "Port State Control" agency.  Both the ships and the port have to have ISPS (International Ship and Port Security) plans, that meet international standards, and that the USCG oversee. The terminal security is private, hired by the port.  TSA does, however, act in an advisory role to USCG in implementing the ISPS requirements, and for training purposes.  TSA also assists the USCG in port security by issuing the TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential), which all mariners or contractors (truck drivers, cab drivers, ship's agents, port chaplains, vendors) require to be allowed free access to port facilities.  The TWIC program is like the TSA-Pre Check, though the TWIC requires a full FBI background check.

I'm sure a lot has changed since I retired from Port Everglades in 2005.  I'm also sure there there has been a lot of moving around of responsibilities with Homeland Security.  I do remember TSA being at the Director and agency level Port Authority meetings discussing passenger processing/screening.  That's just my flawed memory though. 

One point of interest, most agencies mentioned fall under the umbrella of the Department of Homeland Security.  So, we are talking semantics, basically.  

13 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

There are waitlists (sane as standby) that you can get put on in the event that a category is sold out but there is no such thing as what you were describing. 

Princess has standby and I get standby mailings but I would call what they have as last last minute deals not a standby list like the airlines. Not on Royal but in Celebrity I have booked as close to 8 days out and got a great deal but was never on any list. 

But I have been asked years ago on the ship if I would like to stay for the next cruise.

That happens on virtually every cruise we have been on since the restart. We have actually taken advantage of it on 1-2 occasions.

28 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

One point of interest, most agencies mentioned fall under the umbrella of the Department of Homeland Security.  So, we are talking semantics, basically.  

I think the USCG and CBP would disagree that their autonomy is semantics, even though they fall under the same Cabinet Department.  That would be like saying that the Army and Navy are the same, since they fall under Defense.  And, I really think the Marines would disagree.