Is Glacier Bay a must-see port for a first-time Alaskan cruise?

Sigyn

I'm planning our first Alaskan cruise. I've been to Alaska before, but as a three-week land vacation I took 24 years ago. Back then, I did a one-day glacier boat tour out of Seward to see glaciers, but that was it for water activities. Is Glacier Bay a must-see port? I'm trying to decide which cruise line and embarkation port to choose, and Glacier Bay is available on some of the itineraries but not all of them. I'm weighing Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian and Holland America. There's even an Oceania cruise that looks enticing, but I'd have to opt for an inside cabin to be able to afford it. 

I say yes.

The reason being is that it is most accessible plus the park rangers come onboard and provide education on it.

Hubbard and Tracy Arm can be iced out. I took my Mom on an Alaskan cruise and we couldn't get close to Hubbard. It took me probably 15 years to get her back.

My choice of port would be Vancouver. Vancouver departure goes east of Vancouver Island, calmer waters and scenery. Departing Seattle, you go west of Vancouver Island rougher waters nothing to see. Glacier Bay is amazing, it's a serene scenic journey. Tracy Arm is amazing also but ice makes it hit or miss.

• Like 1

Glacier Bay is a definite highlight on any Alaskan cruise.  With some other glaciers, it is a short approach to a reasonably close viewing spot,, ship  sits for a short time and will usually do a twirl around for photo ops both sides,before sailing away again.

With Glacier Bay you are in there for several hours, and in addition to the commentary, there are multiple glaciers to see, the bay itself and some incredible mountains.  It really is scenic and as silence is requested it is quite a moving experience as you glide around.

You could go on to the US National Park Service website and use the menu to find Glacier Bay National Park, or simply google Glacier Bay National Park then again followed by the word photos or images.

What you read and see should help you decide.

Glacier Bay is definitely a must see for a first time.  You never know if there will be a second time.  Along with the glaciers and mountains in Glacier Bay National Park there is also wildlife to see.

image.thumb.png.6f7a318608d8cc15af601d6a4920f9a2.png

image.thumb.jpeg.c10c19af9784ed0d6e9b856f70e28e66.jpeg

The scenery all that day in GBNP is spectacular. 

IMG_2697_1.thumb.jpg.524535a7f38f8a80362b909084873386.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.5577c8ed3f02088064c2913060f54e00.jpeg

And of course Margerie Glacier.

image.thumb.png.9b8a8760c9a38fcc7f40acd3a6f010ba.png

• Like 3

The main issue is if you select another glacier, you stand a decent chance of missing it. Glacier Bay has only been missed a handful of times in 25+ years. Very rare. The other glaciers is pretty common to miss.

If you can do 2 glaciers (Glacier Bay plus another) - bonus! Then, if you come back a second time, you can select another glacier and if you miss it, it won't be a big deal as you have seen one before. But if it is your first and only cruise to Alaska - if you miss it, it is huge.

Reword your question:  Is Glacier Bay a must-see port for your only Alaskan cruise?  I'd say yes.  Nothing is guaranteed, so will it take you another 24 years to visit Alaska...if you're around that long?

Our first Alaska cruise included Hubbard Glacier and it was spectacular! We enjoyed it more than Glacier Bay.

We recently cruised Endicott Arm and Dawes glacier and also enjoyed that fjord.

We have even made it all the way down to Sawyer Glacier at the end of Tracy Arm, That was also very beautiful and worthwhile. We had a great Captain who did a great job!

On 10/8/2022 at 4:39 PM, njsmom said:

I'm planning our first Alaskan cruise. I've been to Alaska before, but as a three-week land vacation I took 24 years ago. Back then, I did a one-day glacier boat tour out of Seward to see glaciers, but that was it for water activities. Is Glacier Bay a must-see port? I'm trying to decide which cruise line and embarkation port to choose, and Glacier Bay is available on some of the itineraries but not all of them. I'm weighing Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian and Holland America. There's even an Oceania cruise that looks enticing, but I'd have to opt for an inside cabin to be able to afford it. 

Determining if Glacier Bay is a "must-see" is highly subjective and depends on what you want to experience in Alaska.

I completed 2 full seasons cruising to Alaska, plus numerous additional cruises as a pax, so I've been to all the glaciers. With respect to Glacier Bay, I've lost count at the number of times I've been in the Bay - well over a couple of dozen. Even with that number of visits, I'm still one of the first pax out on deck for the sail-in.

Does Glacier Bay have the most impressive glacier - in my experience and opinion No. However, regardless of the weather - rain, wind, fog, etc. I have never missed getting into Glacier Bay and seeing at least 1 glacier. In addition, the Park Rangers provide exceptional commentary and even having heard it many times, I often pick up new information. You also have multiple sightings of wildlife. On a bright sunny day, Glacier Bay is a spectacular experience. On a cold, wet and windy day, it is still impressive, as the ship is almost guaranteed to see a glacier.

Hubbard is the largest and, in my opinion, the most impressive glacier. However, the entrance channel can be icebound, preventing the ship from sailing up to the glacier. I have missed Hubbard Glacier a few times.

Tracy Arm is spectacular scenic cruising, especially if the ship navigates down to the glacier. However, even getting into Tracy Arm can be challenging. Of all my cruises to Alaska, I have only been on one, that made it down to the glacier. Most couldn't even enter the Arm. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think it is helpful that if you cruise late in the season, that the chances of enjoying Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier are highly increased. However, we have also enjoyed Tracy Arm (most of it) in July 2009.

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Hubbard is the largest and, in my opinion, the most impressive glacier. However, the entrance channel can be icebound, preventing the ship from sailing up to the glacier. I have missed Hubbard Glacier a few times.

I agree as to your opinion about Hubbard.  I have been fortunate to see (and hear) much more calving at that glacier than I have at any glacier in Glacier Bay.  During one visit, Hubbard put on quite a show almost the entire time was sailing off its face.  Haven't missed it when its been on my itinerary; fortunate, I know.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I agree as to your opinion about Hubbard.  I have been fortunate to see (and hear) much more calving at that glacier than I have at any glacier in Glacier Bay.  During one visit, Hubbard put on quite a show almost the entire time was sailing off its face.  Haven't missed it when its been on my itinerary; fortunate, I know.  

Absolutely!!! This was our experience as well! We saw lots of calving of Hubbard Glacier!

• Like 1

I have missed Hubbard glacier several times! I have seen it from 9 miles away which is not even worth seeing it. I would put Glacier Bay first because it is almost always accessible and then Hubbard glacier next for a future trip - it is great if you can get close but not great if you can't.

• Like 1

It is not terribly great when the visit to the Glacier any of them is way too early in the

day (morning) as the factor of fog and morning mist enters into the equation.

Better afternoon when such atmosphere has lifted revealing the glacier in better viewing.

Hubbard is one of those glaciers usually seen in morning light due to cruise schedule i.e.

leave Seward (Whittier) in early evening next day morning viewing Hubbard or leaving

Whittier viewing College Glacier in morning light. Most cruises view Glacier Bay in late

morning or near noon what I would call prime time.

3 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

It is not terribly great when the visit to the Glacier any of them is way too early in the

day (morning) as the factor of fog and morning mist enters into the equation.

Particularly sailing in the channel that leads to Hubbard Glacier, I find the fog/mist an extra added attraction.  A cruise memory of mine was sitting in a deck chair, bundled up, as we sailed out to sea after visiting the Glacier.  Out of the fog, a ghostly shape began to appear as another ship was passing us on her way to the Glacier.  

We've always gotten pretty close to Hubbard Glacier on our 5 Alaska cruises (lucky I guess)...We were on RCI Serenade last month Sept 18-24 and apparently we were able to get the closest it's gotten this whole season. 

Having been to Alaska twice, and having not seen Glacier Bay, I say no. Pictures are subjective, but pictures of Glacier Bay don't impress me any more than Hubbard Glacier in real life does (which was a lot). The cruise lines I prefer don't go to Glacier Bay, so I may never see it, and I'm okay with that.

There is a reason Glacier Bay is a National Park, it offers views of a number of glaciers.  When you go to Hubbard, the largest tidewater glacier in North America, that is the only glacier you will see and that’s with weather permitting.  You spend all day (8 to 9 hours) in Glacier Bay, Hubbard is a much shorter visit. The scenery is much better in Glacier Bay. Wildlife viewing is usually better in Glacier Bay.  Park Rangers board the ship and narrate the cruise in Glacier Bay.  In my opinion Glacier Bay wins hands down.  An ideal Alaskan cruise would visit both.

• Like 2

On 10/21/2022 at 11:51 AM, Mountaineer0313 said:

Having been to Alaska twice, and having not seen Glacier Bay, I say no. Pictures are subjective, but pictures of Glacier Bay don't impress me any more than Hubbard Glacier in real life does (which was a lot). The cruise lines I prefer don't go to Glacier Bay, so I may never see it, and I'm okay with that.

They are different and unique in their own way. I put Glacier Bay ahead because it is a whole day of viewing and is rarely missed. Hubbard is stunning but can often be missed or ships can not get close.

On 10/21/2022 at 9:51 AM, Mountaineer0313 said:

No photograph of a glacier, regardless of the quality, will impress more than seeing and experiencing a glacier in real life, so hardly a reasonable comparison.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2022 at 8:47 PM, Heidi13 said:

Determining if Glacier Bay is a "must-see" is highly subjective and depends on what you want to experience in Alaska.

I completed 2 full seasons cruising to Alaska, plus numerous additional cruises as a pax, so I've been to all the glaciers. With respect to Glacier Bay, I've lost count at the number of times I've been in the Bay - well over a couple of dozen. Even with that number of visits, I'm still one of the first pax out on deck for the sail-in.

Does Glacier Bay have the most impressive glacier - in my experience and opinion No. However, regardless of the weather - rain, wind, fog, etc. I have never missed getting into Glacier Bay and seeing at least 1 glacier. In addition, the Park Rangers provide exceptional commentary and even having heard it many times, I often pick up new information. You also have multiple sightings of wildlife. On a bright sunny day, Glacier Bay is a spectacular experience. On a cold, wet and windy day, it is still impressive, as the ship is almost guaranteed to see a glacier.

Tracy Arm is spectacular scenic cruising, especially if the ship navigates down to the glacier. However, even getting into Tracy Arm can be challenging. Of all my cruises to Alaska, I have only been on one, that made it down to the glacier. Most couldn't even enter the Arm. 

I 100% agree.  But it takes many cruises to get that Kodak moment.  Weather plays a big part in glacier viewing.  If you want a guaranteed glacier you must go with a Glacier Bay cruise.  And there is always chances to see wildlife because the captains know the route well and tend to try to hug the shore (weather permitting).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 5:36 PM, Heidi13 said:

No photograph of a glacier, regardless of the quality, will impress more than seeing and experiencing a glacier in real life, so hardly a reasonable comparison.

That's fine, but having seen Hubbard glacier in person more than once, I won't base my cruise around a glacier. I'll base it around the itinerary and the ship. Hubbard is phenomenal.