Name a few little creature comforts that you miss while sailing

Travelling2Some

32 minutes ago, socston said:

I never travel without a few books, and occasionally I finish them faster than expected and need to find a library or bookshop. Interestingly, we were on the Bliss in early 2020 and I ran out of books and none of the shops had any for sale and it took us to two days to find the library because every one of the many staff members that we asked said there was no library. I knew that I had read about one on board and my husband finally found it, it was small but passable and it met my needs for the remaining days on board.

I have the additional problem of needing large print books.  (Yes, I have a kindle but still prefer a real book.)  Whenever possible I resort to shipping them ahead.  I just found a great used book source online called Thriftbooks.  They are so inexpensive that I can discard them along the way in ships libraries and hotels and don't have the weight by the time I fly home.  Where there's a will there's a way 🙂

Edited by Travelling2Some
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, spirit rev said:

I know there are some good wines available on board. However, I miss the wines from the Finger Lakes region in New York State. 

If you have the FAS drink package you can bring wine on board with you for free. Just have to deal with schlepping it to the port. We brought 4 bottles last cruise of sweeter dessert wine to have in the room.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sailing12Away said:

If you have the FAS drink package you can bring wine on board with you for free. Just have to deal with schlepping it to the port. We brought 4 bottles last cruise of sweeter dessert wine to have in the room.

I was planning to bring a couple of bottles with me to have in the room. Unfortunately, I probably can't schlep enough bottles for 23 nights on board.😥 Yes, we have the drinks package. 

23 hours ago, Candy Apple 12 said:

You could try this one. I haven’t tried it, but it’s tempting. 

Philips One by Sonicare

I travel with the Philips One......it's the rechargeable version (uses USB-A).  It comes with a case, too.  I think I picked it up at Target or Kohls for $17-$18.  Best money I have ever spent.  Got some brush refills on Amazon for cheap, too.  Has its own case, is slim and easy to pack.  One of my "can't live without it" items when I cruise.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, socston said:

I never travel without a few books, and occasionally I finish them faster than expected and need to find a library or bookshop. Interestingly, we were on the Bliss in early 2020 and I ran out of books and none of the shops had any for sale and it took us to two days to find the library

Get a kindle e reader and load a few books before you leave.

• Like 3

I sometimes don't sleep well.  In those cases I'll leave bed and wander around my house, maybe do some reading, maybe veg in front of late night TV and maybe fall back asleep on a couch.  On the cruise ship, it's a bit harder to entertain myself at 3 or 4 AM wandering around the ship.

• Like 3

On 10/10/2022 at 9:48 AM, JamieLogical said:

I live in Rochester, NY so we have everything from Buffalo chicken omelets to Bufalo chicken quesadillas everywhere you go.

Wow, omelets and quesadillas? Two styles I never thought of merging with Buffalo but sound amazing. I love a good Buffalo sauce. Might have to try and make some of these one day. 

Only thing I personally miss while away are my dogs. Biggest stress is making sure they're taken care of. 

• Like 4

To all the self-professed beer snobs, try being a craft beer enthusiast in the late 90s and early 00s and cruising. 😆 It was a sad state of affairs. Now we only cruise NCL ships with a District and are satisfied enough because it's leaps and freaking bounds above what we had before. Cheers!

Edited by weltek
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PATRLR said:

I sometimes don't sleep well.  In those cases I'll leave bed and wander around my house, maybe do some reading, maybe veg in front of late night TV and maybe fall back asleep on a couch.  On the cruise ship, it's a bit harder to entertain myself at 3 or 4 AM wandering around the ship.

The flip side to that, it's pretty interesting what you'll find going on around a cruise ship at 3:30 a.m.  I tend to wander when I can't sleep, either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, billslowsky said:

TV channels.  Non-cable news.  

And along with the weather channel mention, how about adding weather radar to the ship locator maps?  I don't need to see how far away from Africa or Chicago we are.

I think it would scare some people…

19 hours ago, Lakesregion said:

Absolutely not. I try to enjoy myself pretty much within the fare I pay without enriching the cruise line with a lot of wasted extras. To fully use an adult drinks package (In my opinion) one must come close to the definition of an AA member.

Judge much? 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I'll take anything from MikKeller before Evil Twin any day. Evil Twin is just too inconsistent for my liking, at least his brother's beer actually tastes like what it's supposed to taste like.

Just tried To øl mexican hot chocolate stout at my local pub and it is delicious!

I will miss my nightly long soak in a bathtub reading a good book and drinking a glass of wine - Not looking forward to enduring 11 nights of showers in Jan since they remodelled the club balcony cabin bathroom on the Pearl after I booked it and they ripped out the bathtub!!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

I miss the brands of Canadian yoghurt that I like.  The ones on the ship have an odd, gloppy texture and are often way too sweet.

I have yet to find any yoghurt on any cruise ship that I like.  And, I really like yoghurt.

• Like 1

honestly i miss nothing and am thankful everyday i am on the cruise that i am there.

most everything mentioned in this thread....there are easy work arounds. miss potato chips? buy a bag or two at your first stop. want a book? ship's library; which is always a stop on embarkation day for my father and myself. yes there is a limited selection, but that forces me to pick out of my comfort range.

about the only thing that cant be worked around (and THANK god) is people's furry property.

• Like 3