Flights by Celebrity Question

drakes2

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight re booking a return flight with FBC.  I just booked a 15 night Western Europe and Transatlantic cruise for next April 23.  I have a flight in mind for the way down to Florida from Toronto but a bit confused about my return trip. Looking at an 11 30 am flight from Amsterdam to Heathrow with British Airways then a 1 30 flight from Heathrow to Toronto.  Spoke to a rep from FBC and she said I won't make the connection as the minimum time required is an hour and a half.   Suggestions are appreciated as I'm new to this.  Return date would be May 9th as planning to stay a couple of days after the cruise. 

I haven't been through Amsterdam but I frequently go through Heathrow to Toronto, I don't think there would be enough time and that's if there are no delays etc

Edit: I haven't used FBC just more logistics of connecting flights. I'm not sure I'd risk it personally when airports have been having issues and flights haven't been on time

Edited by Lena11033
  • Thanks 1

There is an interesting article today on the CNN website regarding the issue Schiphol is currently experiencing.  

We have made connecting flights several times through Heathrow.  We have always had to change terminals using their shuttle system to go from one to another.  And then go through security again.  We've made the transfer in 90 minutes, but you will not be dawdling.  And given the issues several European airports are currently experiencing I would try to book flights with more connection time.

29 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I wouldn’t get too hung up on specific flight times  booking that far in advance. You’re pretty much guaranteed to have a schedule change (or 2 or 3 or 9 or 10!) before next April that will derail your initial plan. 

Thank you. There is a 10 am flight from Amsterdam in which case I have a better chance of making that 1 10 connection  to Toronto but it means getting up pretty early there is also a 2 55 flight all with British airways with a 5 10 connection in Heathrow but that gets to Toronto at 7 55.  I may just do the 10 am flight.  Any way you look at it its going to be a long day. 

As said flights are almost guaranteed to change.

Amsterdam will likely improve in 6 months, but connections in Heathrow - remember not in the EU so likely customs and at least 2+ hours.

My rule is anything but Heathrow.  Garrick, Paris, Lisbon or smaller airports and secondary carriers

5 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

As said flights are almost guaranteed to change.

Amsterdam will likely improve in 6 months, but connections in Heathrow - remember not in the EU so likely customs and at least 2+ hours.

My rule is anything but Heathrow.  Garrick, Paris, Lisbon or smaller airports and secondary carriers

I don't have a lot of choices as flying direct from Schiphol is in the thousands and not prepared to pay that. Another option  is Philadelphia may look into that.  Where would I clear customs? When I flew home from Amsterdam this past August we went through immigration but cleared in Toronto.  It was horrendous and I read things got even worse after that. 

3 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I'm hoping someone can give me some insight re booking a return flight with FBC.  I just booked a 15 night Western Europe and Transatlantic cruise for next April 23.  I have a flight in mind for the way down to Florida from Toronto but a bit confused about my return trip. Looking at an 11 30 am flight from Amsterdam to Heathrow with British Airways then a 1 30 flight from Heathrow to Toronto.  Spoke to a rep from FBC and she said I won't make the connection as the minimum time required is an hour and a half.   Suggestions are appreciated as I'm new to this.  Return date would be May 9th as planning to stay a couple of days after the cruise. 

It took us over 3 hours to check our bags, go through security and get to the gate back in May and that was with assistance from Delta.  Never would have made it otherwise.  We arrived at the gate 5 minutes before boarding.    I would either change the flight so you have a lot more time or try to get something that doesn't involve Heathrow at all, which is what we plan to do in the future.

Gatwick is not that great either. Personally I've never had an issue with Heathrow but I've always allowed for time to get through security, this summer it took me 5 mins to check in - I had coffee and a sandwich and then went through security which took me max 30 mins. Then I had 3 hours to kill because I followed the recommendation on time.
Gatwick currently has all the same issues as everywhere else, my boss flew through there two weeks before I did Heathrow - my experience was better than her flight in was changed 5 times and leaving was changed multiple times too - not to mention the air conditioning wasn't working.

I don't know if Gatwick offers the same amount of variety of flights to Pearson either. Rule of thumb whatever airport, just give it a couple of hours to connect.

I am flying through Pearson to get to Heathrow and I allowed for 3 hours because Pearson is the worst (for reference its FAR worse than Heathrow). Coming back this year although no issues with Heathrow my Air Canada flight cancelled my connecting flight while in air, got off the flight to a cancellation which left me in a panic and just as I went to call them they rebooked me with less than an hour to get all the way through Canadian customs and get to the other end of the airport which wasn't clear on where to go in the airport - do not recommend especially wearing a mask. I was a hot mess by the time I got to the gate.

We flew through LHR this summer and had to change terminals. It took well over two hours to walk to the bus, take the 20 minute bus ride, clear passport control and security in the new terminal. I would not cut it close there.  Barely made it. Avoiding connections in Europe is my new mantra. 

1 hour ago, drakes2 said:

I don't have a lot of choices as flying direct from Schiphol is in the thousands and not prepared to pay that. Another option  is Philadelphia may look into that.  Where would I clear customs? When I flew home from Amsterdam this past August we went through immigration but cleared in Toronto.  It was horrendous and I read things got even worse after that. 

You would clear customs in Canada.  Simply be at the gate area in transit if things are the same as in 2020.  TAP goes from Libson to any number of destinations in North America.  They are usually cheaper than many.

Again lots will change