Mexican Vanilla

ToTheShip

I'll give another option "Orlando" dark or try the clear...great to use when you want to keep the white color in whatever you're mixing/baking.

Also the real vanilla Costco Kirkland brand is amazing.

I was wondering if bringing it to the States is a problem.  Then it occurs that all at the recommendations wouldn't be there if there was a problem.   

Edited by ldubs
Duh

My bottle of Molina has it written right on the bottle "No Coumadin", just as an fyi. I like it, as it is 100% pure vanilla, and much more  less expensive, then Trader Joe's. And Molina's vanilla is from the plant that grows in Mexico-I believe in the state of Veracruz.  Other places possible, as well?

3 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

My bottle of Molina has it written right on the bottle "No Coumadin", just as an fyi. I like it, as it is 100% pure vanilla, and much more  less expensive, then Trader Joe's. And Molina's vanilla is from the plant that grows in Mexico-I believe in the state of Veracruz.  Other places possible, as well?

Currently in the USA, the FDA has ruled that a jar of Honey sold in the USA and Labeled "100% Pure Honey" need not contain any honey at all. Most honey sold in the USA does actually contain some or all honey - but it is no longer legally required.

If you purchase a bottle of California Chardonnay in America, the law requires that it contain at least 75% California Chardonnay. The remaining 25% could be nearly any liquid, and does not have to be identified on the label.

If the US food quality regulations are so lax, can you really expect to believe a Mexican Vanilla label that claims "No Coumadin" ??

If you find Mexican Vanilla extract that seems too cheap to be true - it probably is exactly that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

It is made from the Tonka bean not the vanilla bean. There is no such thing as inexpensive real vanilla

10 hours ago, BruceMuzz said:

Currently in the USA, the FDA has ruled that a jar of Honey sold in the USA and Labeled "100% Pure Honey" need not contain any honey at all. Most honey sold in the USA does actually contain some or all honey - but it is no longer legally required.

If you purchase a bottle of California Chardonnay in America, the law requires that it contain at least 75% California Chardonnay. The remaining 25% could be nearly any liquid, and does not have to be identified on the label.

If the US food quality regulations are so lax, can you really expect to believe a Mexican Vanilla label that claims "No Coumadin" ??

If you find Mexican Vanilla extract that seems too cheap to be true - it probably is exactly that.

That's very interesting about the honey and the wine-I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out. In re:to the  Mexican vanilla, I'll have to disagree. I think it's probably cheaper to grow, to process, and to market the beans in Mexico, just imo.

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

It is made from the Tonka bean not the vanilla bean. There is no such thing as inexpensive real vanilla

I had to read up on the Tonka beans, as I had never heard of them-it seems some brands of Mexican vanilla do indeed use them, while others do not. I guess the O.P. will need to decide for theirself.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:20 PM, Ashland said:

I'll give another option "Orlando" dark or try the clear...great to use when you want to keep the white color in whatever you're mixing/baking.

Also the real vanilla Costco Kirkland brand is amazing.

Agreed. Perhaps I have an insensitive palate, but I am inclined to think that perfectly good is acceptable.

35 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

That's very interesting about the honey and the wine-I had no idea. Thanks for pointing that out. In re:to the  Mexican vanilla, I'll have to disagree. I think it's probably cheaper to grow, to process, and to market the beans in Mexico, just imo.

This is probably related to a big brouhaha a while back about skirting US import rules with highly filtered honey. I believe the labeling has to be accurate.  Many, including me, feel the FDA didn't address the misleading use of the name on the jar.   

BTW, they also allow packages of goldfish that don't really contain goldfish.  And let's not even start with buffalo wings. 😀 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, urbanhawk said:

I had to read up on the Tonka beans, as I had never heard of them-it seems some brands of Mexican vanilla do indeed use them, while others do not. I guess the O.P. will need to decide for theirself.

Tonka beans:  They bring them across the border in these tiny yellow trucks. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, urbanhawk said:

Nope, real Mexican vanilla is expensive https://mexiconewsdaily.com/mexicolife/real-mexican-vanilla-harder-to-get-but-worth-the-expense/

On 10/21/2022 at 1:20 AM, BruceMuzz said:

I have never previously heard that comment that "the remaining 25% could be nearly any liquid.

I have heard of winemakers adding water to reduce the alcohol content.  I don't think this is a widespread practice.

You are correct in that U.S. wine labeling regulations require that varietal wines be made from at least 75% of a single grape variety.  The other 25% can be of any other grape variety, and, as you indicated, does not have to be disclosed.  If a winemaker made three barrels of 100% Chardonnay wine and added one barrel of water, the resulting wine would still be 100% Chardonnay.

Also, as an aside, individual states can set higher standards.  For example Washington (and, possibly, Oregon) requires that a varietal wine consist of, at least, 80% of a single grape variety.

The laws regarding European wines are varied.  They may have national laws, but, as often as not, are also subject to strict local regulations.

On 10/21/2022 at 12:17 PM, Elaine5715 said:

In Mexico, where we live part of the year, you can by excellent vanilla (beans or extract) or real crap which may use coumarin (which comes from tonka beans) which is actually not approved for sale in the USA (I believe coumarin is banned by the FDA for safety reasons).   So how do you know what you are buyihg in Mexico?  Beats me...and I live there :).  I assume you are fine buying a store like Walmart but you must be careful when buying from our smaller shops.  In Puerto Vallarta I do know of an excellent small shop that specializes in vanilla and he only sells high quality beans and extracts.  On the other hand, watch cooking shows on the Food Network or the Cooking Network and what kind of vanilla do they use?  Generally, from Madascar.

As a part time resident of Mexico I love most things, Mexico, and happily eat out and drink out nearly every day of the winter.   But when it comes to buying certain products (such as vanilla) I am not sure if simply believing the label is a good idea.  Labels area simply paper printed on a printer and just because it says something does not make is so!  In Mexico, we would suggest sticking to major stores (such as Walmart, Costco, etc.) or knowing with whom you deal.

Hank

• Like 1