Which ships have the best observation decks for Alaskan cruises?

Sigyn

I love the Crow’s Nest on HAL ships.  They are located in the front of the ship and are great for wiildlife/glacier viewing.  The National Park rangers set up shop in that area during Glacier Bay visits.  The area is warm, has comfortable seating and has coffee/drinks available.  IMO, Princess does not have a comparable area though the Majestic Princess does have the Hollywood Conservatory.  That area, while nice,is not as good as Crow’s Nest.  We’ve enjoyed the Spinnaker Lounge on our NCL cruises but that line, again my opinion, doesn’t do Alaska well.

Outside viewing areas are dependent on the individual ship as to whether or not there is a full promenade or the front bow is open for glacier viewing.  I personally don’t like the open bow viewing —usually pretty windy and crowded.  One of the coldest day I’ve ever spend on a ship was on the NCL Pearl viewing the Sawyer Glacier!

I use the upper decks for outside glacier viewings—it’s generally easy to go side to side for views and pop into the Crows Nest to warm up.  On Princess Royal-class ships, we like to hang out in the Crooners Bar and then step out on the promenade for glacier viewing.

And aft areas are great places to be when leaving Glacier Bay—fantastic views, wildlife sightings and low crowds as most people get ‘glacier fatigue’ and  head inside.

• Thanks 1

I agree with everything disneyochem noted. One of the best ships for viewing we’ve been on was Holland’s Zaandam. The Crow’s Nest was good for inside forward viewing and I was there each morning with a cup of coffee looking for wildlife. The ship also had wonderful outside unobstructed viewing areas.  You’ll see posts about good viewing areas on other ships although many are while looking through glass which doesn’t do anything for a good photo.

The royal class Princess ships have the Sanctuary with forward viewing through glass and it can be cold as it’s not entirely enclosed. I was up there most mornings but with a coat. It was closed on glacier days unless you paid the fee to get in.

Holland America ships have a lot of viewing areas and a wrap around promenade.  Upper level viewing public areas and they open the bow for viewing glaciers in Glacier Bay with national park rangers to answer questions and point out wildlife.  HAL ships are built for Alaska and scenic cruising.

As far as Alaska goes it is not about observation areas but itinerary.  Do you want to look through glass or go outside for viewing?  And what about rain drops on the windows?  It is Alaska after all.   My choice is the Queen Elizabeth.  Goes to Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm.   When it comes to Alaska it is "All about the Benjamins".  The more you spend the more you get.  Or you can do the NCL Jewel which on a b2b goes to the same glaciers for a lot less.

7 hours ago, pickle11 said:

As far as Alaska goes it is not about observation areas but itinerary.  Do you want to look through glass or go outside for viewing?  And what about rain drops on the windows?  It is Alaska after all.   My choice is the Queen Elizabeth.  Goes to Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier and Tracy Arm.   When it comes to Alaska it is "All about the Benjamins".  The more you spend the more you get.  Or you can do the NCL Jewel which on a b2b goes to the same glaciers for a lot less.

Having spent more time cruising Alaska than most, I respectfully disagree. Yes, Alaska is all about the itinerary, but it is also key to have a ship with great spots to observe the scenery. The OP asked about "Observation Decks", which I consider a very valid question, as not all ships are equal. Many of today's mega ships have special areas requiring an additional fee in the best viewing areas. Many, such as the "Royal" Class don't have Promenade Decks.

Personally, having spent most of my time in Alaska on the Bridge, I look for ships that have fwd observation decks unencumbered with glass. The Viking ships have an excellent fwd observation deck on Dk 7. Although the Island/Coral are no longer in Alaska, they had excellent decks below the Bridge, which were great for viewing, but the top deck had blue glass all across the fwd end. Some of the "Grand" Class ships also had a huge bridge wing to bridge wing observation deck atop the Bridge, which had impressive views.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Having spent more time cruising Alaska than most, I respectfully disagree. Yes, Alaska is all about the itinerary, but it is also key to have a ship with great spots to observe the scenery. The OP asked about "Observation Decks", which I consider a very valid question, as not all ships are equal. Many of today's mega ships have special areas requiring an additional fee in the best viewing areas. Many, such as the "Royal" Class don't have Promenade Decks.

Personally, having spent most of my time in Alaska on the Bridge, I look for ships that have fwd observation decks unencumbered with glass. The Viking ships have an excellent fwd observation deck on Dk 7. Although the Island/Coral are no longer in Alaska, they had excellent decks below the Bridge, which were great for viewing, but the top deck had blue glass all across the fwd end. Some of the "Grand" Class ships also had a huge bridge wing to bridge wing observation deck atop the Bridge, which had impressive views.

We all cruise Alaska differently.  I'm a solo cruiser.  I was only able to get four weeks in this year.  Usually do six to eight weeks in Alaska on various cruise lines.  I have been to Alaska probably as many times as you.  Just get me one the ship.   In all my cruises I have spent maybe eight hours viewing Alaska in the inside observation areas.  I find that these areas are very crowded during peak viewing times.  And like pool loungers you better get there early and put your towel down.  You will find me 100% of the time outside in areas that are user friendly near food and drink.  I am a ping pong ball.  Back and forth.  But if you are that sit down, drink wine for an hour type I guess inside observation area is important.  Even in rain I will outside somewhere (with my beer) under covering and just absorbing it all as much as possible.  I still encounter something new on each cruise.  I was on the NCL iceberg cruise this season.  Now that was different.

4 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

@pickle11, you may not be aware @Heidi13 was an officer (perhaps a Captain?) on cruise ships for a number of years.

And that person has the best seat at all times.  Not all of us to observe Alaska on the bridge.  I would love to just once be on the bridge cruising Glacier Bay.  Been there over 20 times.  But have seen so many wonderful things my way.  Orcas, whales, goats, eagles and bears...OH MY.  But not all at once.  Maybe one or two each trip.  I am giving a solo cruisers perspective.  I think I have some knowledge.  Maybe njsmom will be lucky enough to experience Alaska from the bridge.  Heidi13 knows popluar areas, but if you have to wait for an announcement from the naturalist for that kodak moment, you probably are to late. Some is already in front of you.

But not on the bridge.

9 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Spent many years as Captain on our Ro/Pax, but left cruise ships when still a Navigator.

And that person possible has a dream job.  I also like my job but cruising Alaska is my passion.  

Edited by pickle11

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I like to be outside to observe, even if the weather is chilly. When I did my one-day cruise of College Fjord many years ago, I was out on the deck while others were cozy inside. I think I saw a lot more than they did, and hearing the crash of the glaciers calving was something I've never forgotten. You don't hear that if you're indoors. 

10 hours ago, pickle11 said:

I want to be outside for viewing, with the option to go inside if I get too cold, and warm up, and go back out. I looked at the Cunard cruise and it's on my list, but I feel like the cruise atmosphere itself is too formal for me. My best friend loves Cunard and cruises it quite a bit, so I'm familiar with the dress and options of Cunard cruises from her stories and photos, but it really isn't my style. Plus, her fellow passengers all seem quite elderly. 

1 hour ago, pickle11 said:

We all cruise Alaska differently.  I'm a solo cruiser.  I was only able to get four weeks in this year.  Usually do six to eight weeks in Alaska on various cruise lines.  I have been to Alaska probably as many times as you.  Just get me one the ship.   In all my cruises I have spent maybe eight hours viewing Alaska in the inside observation areas.  I find that these areas are very crowded during peak viewing times.  And like pool loungers you better get there early and put your towel down.  You will find me 100% of the time outside in areas that are user friendly near food and drink.  I am a ping pong ball.  Back and forth.  But if you are that sit down, drink wine for an hour type I guess inside observation area is important.  Even in rain I will outside somewhere (with my beer) under covering and just absorbing it all as much as possible.  I still encounter something new on each cruise.  I was on the NCL iceberg cruise this season.  Now that was different.

I will do some of both. Probably 75% outside, 25% inside would be my guess, based on how much I like my bar and wine lounges. 🙂 

On 10/24/2022 at 4:22 PM, Heidi13 said:

The Grand Class ships and Coral/Island Princess have great Promenade decks on Deck 7. It is outside and covered which is great for photography. 

@Heidi13I know you know this - just wanted to add on to your comments.

Most of Grand Class ships have Skywalkers which is inside and faces aft.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Realize this thread is a few months old but surprised NCL Bliss and Encore haven’t been mentioned, both have amazing observation lounges that are 2 stories high directly over the bridge. The lounges themselves take up about a third of deck 15 and the side windows are floor to ceiling and about 10 feet wide.  The main caveat is on glacier days they are packed.  Our day in glacier bay at 5:30am people had already claimed bulk of the seating.  Outside of that portion of the trip we could almost always find seating and spent a lot of time there just watching the world go by. We likened the Atrium as the family room and the observation lounge as the living room.  

Note the NCL Joy has a similar observation lounge - the forward portion is basically identical but the side windows are not as wide/unobstructed as it’s sisters.  Also on all three ships there is yet another 2 story observation lounge on top of the main lounge for Heaven guests.

Overall we are finding it difficult to plan future cruises to similar locations without such lounges. 

33432FA7-CBB6-4B3D-925C-014598725DD1.jpeg

221C1455-B1C3-4D7A-B91C-13B24B5FB6C1.jpeg

FD5C83FB-27CC-4FC6-8A39-93D8BF78414D.jpeg

Edited by seachaz

The problem w inside observation areas is that they are inside.  That means that you will be looking at scenery through glass that is probably dirty.  Also the glass may be slightly or very tinted which creates problems with taking photographs.  In addition you have difficulty moving around to get the best viewing area.  You really need to plan to be outside.

DON

• Like 3

11 hours ago, donaldsc said:

The problem w inside observation areas is that they are inside.  That means that you will be looking at scenery through glass that is probably dirty.  Also the glass may be slightly or very tinted which creates problems with taking photographs.  In addition you have difficulty moving around to get the best viewing area.  You really need to plan to be outside.

DON

I agree with this. I like ship's with promenade decks and to be lower to the water for a better perspective. I don't want to be inside and taking a picture through glass.

21 hours ago, seachaz said:

Realize this thread is a few months old but surprised NCL Bliss and Encore haven’t been mentioned, both have amazing observation lounges that are 2 stories high directly over the bridge. The lounges themselves take up about a third of deck 15 and the side windows are floor to ceiling and about 10 feet wide.  The main caveat is on glacier days they are packed.  Our day in glacier bay at 5:30am people had already claimed bulk of the seating.  Outside of that portion of the trip we could almost always find seating and spent a lot of time there just watching the world go by. We likened the Atrium as the family room and the observation lounge as the living room.  

Note the NCL Joy has a similar observation lounge - the forward portion is basically identical but the side windows are not as wide/unobstructed as it’s sisters.  Also on all three ships there is yet another 2 story observation lounge on top of the main lounge for Heaven guests.

Overall we are finding it difficult to plan future cruises to similar locations without such lounges. 

This just doesn't seem desirable to me. I want to be outside with no windows blocking my view.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:34 PM, seachaz said:

In Alaska, an interior lounge doesn't work for me either. Best viewing, especially for photographers is on the outer decks, where you aren't dealing with tinted and/or salt streaked glass.

Best ships are those with full promenade decks and those with fwd viewing decks above or below the Bridge that aren't bordered by glass. If I can also see down both sides of the ship, as per the Viking ships, it is a definite bonus. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Greysandy said:

We prefer Holland America because there is a large wrap around Promenade deck so you can walk loops while seeing Tracy Arm, and Glaciers.

I like the Princess ships that have promenade decks for this reason also.  I also like  taking pictures from the lower level also. I don't want to go to Alaska with ships that don't have promenade decks.