First time flying to get to the ship. HELP! I need packing tips.

OP - skip the body wash and shampoo as an all in one product is in the shower stall.  I use it all of the time with my own conditioner and my color treated hair looks and feels just fine.

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

the only additional "everything" we pay for on Spirit is the checked bags... And it is still cheaper. And, yes, I do check prices every day and wait till they fall to an acceptable level (usually right around the 80-90 day mark).

RT ticket per person $171 on Spirit for our TG cruise, $458 on Delta, and you still have to pay for checked bags. I kept an eye on the SW tickets as well - very high and the times are inconvenient, and SW tickets are $328 to and $89 from, so nowhere near $171+$68 luggage fee.

Finally someone who gets it! We DID check prices (with and without checked luggage). Spirit was still the best deal (luggage included). We don't want to nix the formal wear as we will be celebrating our 22nd anniversary and, quite honestly, we like dressing up for formal night. I was asking for packing hacks and tips, not lectures on taking the wrong airline, and suggestions of divorce. At this point, I would have had better luck turning to Youtube for my answers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1interpreter said:

Finally someone who gets it! We DID check prices (with and without checked luggage). Spirit was still the best deal (luggage included). We don't want to nix the formal wear as we will be celebrating our 22nd anniversary and, quite honestly, we like dressing up for formal night. I was asking for packing hacks and tips, not lectures on taking the wrong airline, and suggestions of divorce. At this point, I would have had better luck turning to Youtube for my answers.

Then maybe you should just consider the most realistic option, which is to pay the money to bring extra luggage. What you're trying to do isn't reasonable, which is why the rest of us were trying to offer a little humor, but also a bit of a reality check. 

It's like those shows on HGTV where a couple says they want a 5 bedroom home in a big expensive city, with a big backyard and a man cave and a gourmet chef's kitchen, but their budget it $200,000. Sometimes we can't have what we want.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

If formal night is a big deal then rent a tux for the men.  I take my own shoes and socks.

I am pretty sure that tuxedo rental would be way more than the fee to check a second bag. It was really convenient  in the days when you could have them waiting in your cabin on arrival though!

I also have to say just pay for extra luggage. I pay for checked bags on every flight. If your in for X amount of thousands for a trip, why stress over another $40 or so. I have one bag that's just bathroom, shoes and a fan. One full of clothes. Plus a carry on with minimum 2 to 3 days worth of clothes just incase the rest gets lost. I just consider the price for luggage another part of the trips overall expenses. And I'm all about cutting corners, but you need the things you need. 

3 hours ago, mom4mom said:

Roll your clothes and get packing cubes.  It's a game changer for us.  We're flying out today for a 3 week trip in 1 checked bag, 1 carry on and 2 personal items.

Thank you for the advice. I have already planned on rolling the clothes in our carry on bags, and have considered packing cubes. If you can do 1 checked bag and one carry on and 2 personal items for a 3 week trip then I don't see how what I'm trying to so unrealistic. 

7 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Then maybe you should just consider the most realistic option, which is to pay the money to bring extra luggage. What you're trying to do isn't reasonable, which is why the rest of us were trying to offer a little humor, but also a bit of a reality check. 

It's like those shows on HGTV where a couple says they want a 5 bedroom home in a big expensive city, with a big backyard and a man cave and a gourmet chef's kitchen, but their budget it $200,000. Sometimes we can't have what we want.

I've actually done this before for short trips, just ones that weren't cruises. I don't want to forget something that I would end up having to get on the ship or in port because  we all know how expensive and/or next to impossible some of those things are to find. There is nothing unrealistic about this and there is no need for a reality check. Maybe my wording in my original post wasn't specific enough for those of you that only see in black and white. I wasn't inquiring about ways to save money on my travel or my luggage. I was inquiring about ways to make the most of my packing space. Over my years of cruising I have learned how to minimize things already because in the past so much of what we brought either wasn't worn or wasn't used. I'm not expecting to take this trip living like first class on a water budget. Could we if we wanted to? You bet we could, but we have other things that we would rather spend our money on.

5 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I am pretty sure that tuxedo rental would be way more than the fee to check a second bag. It was really convenient  in the days when you could have them waiting in your cabin on arrival though!

very true.

Back on our very first cruise in 2009 the tux rental was $99, I think.

@1interpreterI understand about wanting to take formal clothes. So, in packing,other things have to be minimized. I understand it is a 4 day cruise.

If it was me, I would pack for each of you 2-3 pairs of shorts,4 daytime tops,4 sets of underwear, a pair of black pants for you,a pair of kahki pants for hubby, 2 fancier tops/shirtsfor you and hubby, 2 sundresses for daughter, 1 bathing suit and 1 coverup. 1pair flip flops,1 pair dressy sandals for you and daughter,1 pair dress shoes for hubby. Wear sneakers on the plane.

I would try to keep to a certain color palette- navy and white for example. That way ,you can mix/match outfits.

As for makeup- ditch the eyeshadow - not really needed these days.IMHO.  A pair of sunglasses are your friend.

I take a mascara ,blush and lipstick. Travel size deodorant,shampoo,etc.as you have mentioned. Hair dryer is in the cabin. May not be the best,but make do.

As far as tux rentals, I think that is long gone. Especially since Covid . No sharing of clothing and if they were dry cleaned after each renter,that is an expense and use of staff for the cruise line. So hubby needs to bring one,a suit or at least a sport jacket. His outfit will take up a lot of space. Just a thought.

I would pay for an extra checked bag to alleviate the angst over getting a lot in one bag.

Posters have mentioned the choice of airline. If it was me, I would keep the reservation and see what the Spirit airline experience would be for your family. In the future, I would consider Southwest. We have travelled satisfactorily many times with them over the years. We flew Spirit once, many years ago. Just sayin’.

Wishing you and your family a very enjoyable vacation.

MJ🙋🏻

I have done this twice flying with Spirit and I only took the personal item carry on I think it is 18"  It was a 5 day cruise.  I didn't think I could do it, and my husband was very impressed!

No formal wear, I roll my clothes.  I just purchased compression bags for our next trip will see how those work.  Our first couple of cruises I always overpacked, not anymore.

Tons of You Tube videos on packing in a Personal item carry item.

14 hours ago, Torfamm said:

I am pretty sure that tuxedo rental would be way more than the fee to check a second bag.

I'm sure it is.  Maybe not way more considerating what they charge for an extra or over weight bag But it doesn't matter I just looked to rent one for our Thanksgiving cruise and apparently they stopped doing it due to Covid and haven't brought it back.  Seeing the lack of people who dress up for formal night anymore I doubt it is much of a money maker any longer.  

• Like 1

Long time carry on only packer - last cruise was 19 days including winter clothes for Iceland and Ireland.  First rule is fewer shoes and you have that down.  Next, black Rip Skirt used for dinner, daytime wear and pool cover up plus one other knit dress.  One swim suit (2 in the Caribbean) and one knit dress for daytime wear and in port.  Sports fabric shorts and tee shirts for daytime if needed plus they rinse out in the shower, dry overnight and can be worn again.  Make up limited to a small palette with blush, highlighter and shadows.  I use bar shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and Crystal deodorant - none are liquids so that reduces the 311 bag.  All this works for me but not everyone wants to wear the same outfit more than once.

11 hours ago, SbbquilterUT said:

Long time carry on only packer - last cruise was 19 days including winter clothes for Iceland and Ireland.  First rule is fewer shoes and you have that down.  Next, black Rip Skirt used for dinner, daytime wear and pool cover up plus one other knit dress.  One swim suit (2 in the Caribbean) and one knit dress for daytime wear and in port.  Sports fabric shorts and tee shirts for daytime if needed plus they rinse out in the shower, dry overnight and can be worn again.  Make up limited to a small palette with blush, highlighter and shadows.  I use bar shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, and Crystal deodorant - none are liquids so that reduces the 311 bag.  All this works for me but not everyone wants to wear the same outfit more than once.

You must be a packing rock star! I'm a one swim suit kind of gal. It always cracks me up to see those who bring multiple with them. Why??? I always bring sample packs of laundry detergent so mine does get washed so it's not like I'm wearing a dirty one. I also don't mind wearing the same outfit more than once either. Again, they can be washed, it will save space in my carry one, and it's not like I'm gonna see any of my cruise mates again. I'm on vacation so I really don't mind.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 1interpreter said:

I'm a one swim suit kind of gal. It always cracks me up to see those who bring multiple with them. Why???

Because I don't like to put on a wet swimsuit.  It doesn't take up much room.

1 hour ago, Cigar King said:

I know the reason I pack more than one is that I typically take multiple cruises in a row.

Must be nice. That right there is my future goal once the hubby and I hit retirement. Lol! Until then, one at a time is all we get 😞 We will be cruising again in May or June for our daughter's high school graduation. We have already been asking her where she wants to go, but she is so indecisive that all she keeps saying is "I don't know". We will look at booking while on the Indy next month, maybe she will have an idea of where she wants to go by then. Hoping her other siblings can join us as well. She is the baby, and the spoiled one, mostly by the oldest brother. They are the closest, as they both ended up injured one summer (different accidents) and spent the summer bonding over their injuries and lack of being able to get around very well. She has since learned that if she wants something and Mom and Dad say no, big brother will usually get it for her.

• 4 weeks later...

Generally, we fly Spirit out of Detroit but will consider Delta to FLL if Spirit's prices for next June stay high. Southwest is out of the question as there are no direct flights (DTW-FLL) and we see no reason to stretch a normal 3 hour flight into 6-8 hours even if the "bags fly free".