Stopping in Acapulco

Montanagirlalways

We will be stopping in Acapulco on our Panama Canal cruise in January.  The US government recommends no travel there.   We are not going to get off the boat.

Overall Risk

OVERALL RISK : HIGH

Currently, the U.S. Department of State is advising that Americans not travel to the Mexican state of Guerrero, where Acapulco is located, due to both high levels of COVID-19 in the country, and rampant crime and kidnapping in Guerrero specifically.

I wouldn't walk around ANYWHERE in Mexico.  Last time I was there ( about 6 years ago), I started walking to the Flea Market.  As I was walking, I saw two pickup trucks, each had 4 soldiers ( with rifles ready) in the truck beds.  I didn't even get past the length of the ship before I turned around and came back.  Inside the cruise port there are some souvenir shops.  Such a shame, because Acapulco had many fine resorts and lots of celebrity hangouts.  Im not getting off in Mexico on any of the ports on my next PC cruise.  Just enjoy the pool on board without the crowds

19 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

I wouldn't walk around ANYWHERE in Mexico.  Last time I was there ( about 6 years ago), I started walking to the Flea Market.  As I was walking, I saw two pickup trucks, each had 4 soldiers ( with rifles ready) in the truck beds.  I didn't even get past the length of the ship before I turned around and came back.  Inside the cruise port there are some souvenir shops.  Such a shame, because Acapulco had many fine resorts and lots of celebrity hangouts.  Im not getting off in Mexico on any of the ports on my next PC cruise.  Just enjoy the pool on board without the crowds

I have had zeros in Cozumel, etc on the East Coast..they have been patrolling in trucks like that for 30 years in many areas. 

• Like 1

Hey @Montanagirlalways, you may be more successful finding information on the Mexican Riviera port page. You can find it here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/124-mexican-riviera/ 

For what it's worth (not a lot): I love your state! I was fortunate to live in Gardiner for four years and traveled all over, except the Hi-Line area. Hope all is well in Big Sky Country.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Hey @Montanagirlalways, you may be more successful finding information on the Mexican Riviera port page. You can find it here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/124-mexican-riviera/ 

For what it's worth (not a lot): I love your state! I was fortunate to live in Gardiner for four years and traveled all over, except the Hi-Line area. Hope all is well in Big Sky Country.

thanks. I wanted to post in the general area as I thought more people would see it and have some feedback. And I hate to burst the bubble but I am not from Montana. There are other reasons I chose that name 🙂 But I agree it is a beautiful state!!

We have a stop scheduled for Acapulco on our cruise that leaves November 12, so coming up soon. I researched it lots and figured that walking around on our own probably wasn't advisable, so we booked an excursion through NCL. Once our excursion is over, though, and I've got a feel for the place, I may very well wander off on my own. I have no idea why a truck full of soldiers patrolling with rifles would frighten anyone. That would make me feel safer. I've wandered on my own in Ensenada, Mazatlan, & Puerta Vallarta in the past 4 years and felt perfectly safe in all of then - even at night in Puerta Vallarta.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 7:58 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

I wouldn't walk around ANYWHERE in Mexico.  Last time I was there ( about 6 years ago)

You live in LA and think Mexico is dangerous? And you haven't been in 6 years?

I am in Mexico pretty regularly for business; was there 8 days ago as part of cruise and have two more scheduled.

Acapulco was bad a while ago, but if cruise ships are returning it is because the cruise lines have confidence that the situation is better.

Typical excursions in the past were "Highlights of Acapulco & Cliff Diver Experience", "La Roqueta Island Nature Encounter (hiking & swimming) and an "All Inclusive Resort Experience". I would expect those to return.

https://www.ncl.com/shore-excursions/search?port=ACA&sort=searchWeight&sortOrder=asc&perPage=12

• Like 2

On 10/25/2022 at 7:58 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

The first time I traveled to Europe, we arrived at Frankfurt Airport to German police patrolling in the airport with Uzi machine guns on their backs. This was a few months after the first Gulf War. Sure glad that didn't stop our 15 or so additional trips to Europe. In fact, on our last trip, there are still German police still patrolling with Uzis...just fewer of them.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 9:20 AM, Montanagirlalways said:

Just wondering if anyone has stopped in Acapulco recently? We will be stopping there in December. No excursion from NCL yet. Just wondering if what is around the port area

I'm concerned about Acapulco as well. Our Feb/March cruise itinerary was recently changed to drop Nicaragua and add Acapulco. It kind of bothers me that the cruise line (NCL) would add a port that is deemed dangerous enough by the US State Dept to be on the "do not travel" list. And they currently are not offering any excursions in this port. It's creepy. I am thinking we may just stay on the ship, which is disappointing. We cruise for the ports. 

13 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

Our November cruise has probably 12-25 excursions listed for Acapulco. 

That's good. Hopefully they will add some for our cruise in February. We usually like to do tours on our own, looking for smaller groups and better prices than we typically find on ship tours. But in this case I think we will stick with a ship tour or just stay onboard.

32 minutes ago, luckybecky said:

That's good. Hopefully they will add some for our cruise in February. We usually like to do tours on our own, looking for smaller groups and better prices than we typically find on ship tours. But in this case I think we will stick with a ship tour or just stay onboard.

Check your rollcall also to possibly join in on a private tour.

• Like 2

On 10/25/2022 at 10:58 AM, 9tee2Sea said:

Perhaps some are not aware of the current US Department of State's Travel warning when it comes to Acapulco:

"U.S. government employees may not travel to other areas of the state of Guerrero, including to tourist areas in AcapulcoZihuatanejo, and Ixtapa."

The Canadian Government has a warning which says: to AVOID NON-ESSENTIAL TRAVEL TO

• all Guerrero, except the cities of Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo and Taxco

Folks who want to know more can certainly go the State Department's web site.  And for those who do not know, Acapulco is the major city in the State of Guerrero.

Hank

I'm just back from a Silversea cruise that included Acapulco as one of its stops. Honestly, my only concerns were the heat and the humidity.  I did a ship excursion that consisted of a hike on La Roqueta (spectacular view at the top), a bus tour that included the divers' cliffs, and a lunch at the historic Flamingo Hotel, with its Old Hollywood associations.  I felt no more nervous than I would in any other tourist town.  That said, I wouldn't advise walking around alone or venturing into areas out of the tourist districts.  Nasty things can happen anywhere - and they frequently do now in my own town, Portland, OR.

• Like 2